Question on renewing an expired CCW

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

tel0004

Question on renewing an expired CCW

Post by tel0004 »

I was issued a CCW about 6 years ago. (issued in Clermont county.). It expired and It was never renewed.

What is the easiest way to get a new license. I don't have my original ccw license, and I don't think I have my original training certificate.

If I show up to a police station will they have enough info on file to prove that I had an existing CCW license, and issue me a renewal based on their data? I would go to Clermont county where it was issued since they might have more info on file.

If not, I'm I stuck going through the training again?
mreising

Re: Question on renewing an expired CCW

Post by mreising »

You will need to apply at the sheriff's office in the county where you reside, or an adjacent county, not just a "police station". If you are still in or adjacent to Clermont, go ahead and apply for your renewal there and ask them if they still have a record indicating your original license, they might be able to help you, call ahead and ask. If not, then contact your instructor, some will issue a replacement certificate based on their class records, if they still have them from that period in time. Most likely they will charge a fee for the replacement; if it is an NRA certificate, the instructor has to buy a complete student packet with books as you cannot get a certificate only. If neither option works then you will probably have to retake the entire class over again.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

mreising wrote:You will need to apply at the sheriff's office in the county where you reside, or an adjacent county, not just a "police station". If you are still in or adjacent to Clermont, go ahead and apply for your renewal there and ask them if they still have a record indicating your original license, they might be able to help you, call ahead and ask. If not, then contact your instructor, some will issue a replacement certificate based on their class records, if they still have them from that period in time. Most likely they will charge a fee for the replacement; if it is an NRA certificate, the instructor has to buy a complete student packet with books as you cannot get a certificate only. If neither option works then you will probably have to retake the entire class over again.
Mark, if Clermont won't issue a renewal based on the fact that the OP was previously licensed (but can't prove it), why would they issue a renewal based on a now long-expired competency certification?
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
mreising

Post by mreising »

jabeatty wrote:
mreising wrote:You will need to apply at the sheriff's office in the county where you reside, or an adjacent county, not just a "police station". If you are still in or adjacent to Clermont, go ahead and apply for your renewal there and ask them if they still have a record indicating your original license, they might be able to help you, call ahead and ask. If not, then contact your instructor, some will issue a replacement certificate based on their class records, if they still have them from that period in time. Most likely they will charge a fee for the replacement; if it is an NRA certificate, the instructor has to buy a complete student packet with books as you cannot get a certificate only. If neither option works then you will probably have to retake the entire class over again.
Mark, if Clermont won't issue a renewal based on the fact that the OP was previously licensed (but can't prove it), why would they issue a renewal based on a now long-expired competency certification?
Good point.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
BobK

Post by BobK »

You know, if you haven't been carrying for six years, going through some training might not be such a bad idea.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

BobK wrote:You know, if you haven't been carrying for six years, going through some training might not be such a bad idea.
I quite agree, although the best benefit from an Ohio CHL class would probably be the refresher on current Ohio law - unless the OP hasn't done any firearms handling / shooting in the past 6 years in which case a refresher would be in order. *Then* take some training that goes beyond what you get from an Ohio CHL class...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

JustaShooter wrote:
BobK wrote:You know, if you haven't been carrying for six years, going through some training might not be such a bad idea.
I quite agree, although the best benefit from an Ohio CHL class would probably be the refresher on current Ohio law - unless the OP hasn't done any firearms handling / shooting in the past 6 years in which case a refresher would be in order. *Then* take some training that goes beyond what you get from an Ohio CHL class...

The OP said the CHL was issued 6 years ago, not expired 6 years ago. If my math is right it was probably a 4 year license so it has been expired 2 years.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Nor did he say he has not been carrying anyway...and shouldn't say. :oops:

Was there any event that caused the license to not get renewed and physically lost. I make photocopies of items in my wallet in case I lose it. Lose the wallet, I mean, not 'lose it' in general'.

:mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
TS04

Post by TS04 »

tel0004 wrote:I was issued a CCW about 6 years ago. (issued in Clermont county.). It expired and It was never renewed.

What is the easiest way to get a new license. I don't have my original ccw license, and I don't think I have my original training certificate.

If I show up to a police station will they have enough info on file to prove that I had an existing CCW license, and issue me a renewal based on their data? I would go to Clermont county where it was issued since they might have more info on file.

If not, I'm I stuck going through the training again?
I looked into this a bit because my permit expired a couple months before I renewed. I do not recall finding any laws that suggest a time limit on renewal. Therefore just got to Clermont County if you still reside there or an adjacent county and renew.
Face

Post by Face »

jabeatty wrote:

I thought one did not need a competency certification for renewal. Is there any limit on time for a renewal?

Maybe I'm wrong but I see no reason the OP could not just renew.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Face wrote:I thought one did not need a competency certification for renewal. Is there any limit on time for a renewal?

There's no time limit, and no competency certification is required.

Proof of original licensure is required - if Clermont doesn't just look it up instead of requiring him to present his missing license, he'll be ok. If they stick to the letter of the law, he's out of luck, no matter what sort of training proof he provides.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

jabeatty wrote:
Face wrote:I thought one did not need a competency certification for renewal. Is there any limit on time for a renewal?

There's no time limit, and no competency certification is required.

Proof of original licensure is required - if Clermont doesn't just look it up instead of requiring him to present his missing license, he'll be ok. If they stick to the letter of the law, he's out of luck, no matter what sort of training proof he provides.
For what it's worth, they asked to see mine the other day when I renewed there. Not sure what they would have done had I not presented it.

Seems like this should be another fix in the law. As far as I know, the LEADS info is kept for quite a while. I do not know the purging time frame of the CHL database or I'd have a better answer. I can say it's at least 12 months though from past experience.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.