45 Business Days

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

lemmypenn66

45 Business Days

Post by lemmypenn66 »

Your email has reached the right person. I checked your application and it appears you applied on 03-22-2013. The process requires 45 business days, thus you are on day 39 today.

I found your application in the stack to be printed up today so you will be receiving a call soon. The phone calls have not be returned as we get nearly 50 calls a day of people calling about the card being ready. We can not process cards and return all the calls and be successful in getting the cards out in a timely manner.

During the last week the CCW application Deputy has been out of commission for two days do to construction, a day for new software installation to increase the speed of processing and sick leave. With all this said we are still within the 45 business days.

Expect a call within a day or two for pickup.

Montgomery County Sheriff Office
Sergeant M.D.Hutchison #138
Office: 937-225-6499
Cellph: 937-479-4656
Dispat: 937-225-435
pirateguy191

Re: 45 Business Days

Post by pirateguy191 »

Should be "due to".

Sounds like they suck.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

pirateguy191 wrote:Sounds like they suck.
Also sounds like they don't understand the difference between "within forty-five days after a sheriff's receipt of an applicant's completed application form for a concealed handgun license under this section", as the law stipulates, and "forty-five business days", which they could have specified had they wished.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

JustaShooter wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:Sounds like they suck.
Also sounds like they don't understand the difference between "within forty-five days after a sheriff's receipt of an applicant's completed application form for a concealed handgun license under this section", as the law stipulates, and "forty-five business days", which they could have specified had they wished.
Most sheriff's I know will tell you "business days" as that's what they operate on and therefore it punishes them to include days they aren't in full operation. IMO, that's something that needs to be corrected in the law to say 45 consecutive days, not business days, from the date the application is received. I also believe we should add appointments must be scheduled within 30 days of the person's initial call or something, although that would be a much larger battle IMO.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
davcar45

Post by davcar45 »

So I will use their logic. My license expired 4/24/13. I am now carrying on my 30 business day grace period. I mean I can make the law say whatever I want right? Just like them.
NRA Endowment Life Member
http://www.assaultweapon.info
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

There are no teeth in the law. If and when there are teeth, the elected officials will perform.
davcar45

Post by davcar45 »

And the law says we can renew up to 90 days prior to expiration. So I can infer that is 90 business days too? I can renew 6 months early...great.
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

I'm going to MCSO tomorrow for my renewal and my Ohio CHL expires long before 45 days but I should be covered by my Utah for 3 more years, so I'm good...... right?
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

Here is what the ORC has to say on time calculation. The only non business day that seems to not count would be the last day and only if it were to fall on a Sunday, legal holiday or a day on which the office is closed to the public. So as i read it, all non business days that fall between 1 and 44 count towards the total.

The Sheriff's office is wrong.

1.14 Excluding first and including last day - legal holidays.
The time within which an act is required by law to be done shall be computed by excluding the first and including the last day; except that, when the last day falls on Sunday or a legal holiday, the act may be done on the next succeeding day that is not Sunday or a legal holiday.

When a public office in which an act, required by law, is to be performed is closed to the public for the entire day that constitutes the last day for doing the act or before its usual closing time on that day, the act may be performed on the next succeeding day that is not a Sunday or a legal holiday as defined in this section.
Last edited by cashman966 on Wed May 15, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
lemmypenn66

Post by lemmypenn66 »

Just got the call that the permit is ready and can be picked up 24/7...Looks like they are working late to get these done....
davcar45

Post by davcar45 »

What is the email of the person you sent to above?
lemmypenn66

Post by lemmypenn66 »

hutchisonm@mcohio.org I actually emailed Phil Plummer the Montgomery County Sheriff, and I believe he forwarded my email to Sgt. Hutchinson..
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

How complicated can that job be ? Train someone else to do it....I find that excuse pretty stupid....do to construction..... :roll:

AND BY THE WAY, IT'S A LICENSE......not permit....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
davcar45

Post by davcar45 »

Picked up at Montgomery Co today, they called me this morning to say the card was ready.... 56 days after turning in the paperwork.

I had to go upstairs to re sign because the computer cut my signature off and while there the deputy told another applicant to count on the FULL 45 BUSINESS DAYS for processing.

On a side note, I was shooting yesterday and there was a guy there helping an older woman shoot a new handgun. By help I mean she was definitely a beginner. We got to talking and he said she is going to take her CHL class on June 1. I said you better call today and make an appointment because all the sheriff's seem to be backed up it might be 6 months before you get in to turn in your paperwork etc. He said I'm a Butler Co Sheriff Deputy so she can get in whenever. They do friends and family or maybe just family like every Friday or something. Anyway, got to talking about how I couldn't get in until 2 months after my license expired etc and was talking about Montgomery Co telling people 45 business days and he said it is business days isn't it. I said no, the revised code says 45 days and in the general definitions of the ORC it defines how to calculate those days when something has to be done in XX days by law.

Turns out he patrols in Butler in my township, knew my street etc. He said I don't even think you should need a CHL, Ohio should be constitutional carry.(we need more LEO like him) I said yeah I'd like that too but I don't think we'll ever get that so we are stuck with the bureaucracy of the license process we have now, hopefully we can continue to improve it.

One interesting thing I did find out. He told me Butler Co Sheriff is swamped with CHL applicants and that is why they are taking appointments months away from the day you call. I said they are probably only doing appointments a couple days a week and that is why it is backed up. He said no, I know the deputy in charge of that and he said they do it 5 days a week and they take appointments every 15 minutes from 8am-4pm.
clefmeister

Post by clefmeister »

They'll probably keep spouting 45 days until the AG tells them to knock it off. Especially since the law has no teeth to bite obnoxious Sheriff's Offices with.