Geauga County: Simply Amazing!

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Hatrix

Geauga County: Simply Amazing!

Post by Hatrix »

I live in Cuyahoga County. Wasn't able to get an appointment here until the middle of June, so it was suggested that I go to Geauga County to apply. I'm glad I did.

As reported in my other post, I went into the Geauga County Sheriff's office on May 7th. Got there well before 8am figuring a lengthy wait and was surprised to see they were already taking applicant at 7:30. I was finished up and on the way home by 8:15 and was extremely pleased. Fast forward three days [May 10th] and I receive a call from them telling me that my Permit is ready for pick up and I can stop in any time between 7am-7pm M-F and 8am-5pm Saturday to get it. So I left work a little early and went and picked it up.

I wish I could remember the Deputy's names down there as everyone was very friendly, helpful and efficient.

Geauga County gets a big thumbs up!
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Geauga County: Simply Amazing!

Post by dl1911 »

That was pretty much my experience. I got there shortly after the posted hours on a Tuesday morning (had arranged to go in late to work). Walked right in and got my call on Thursday afternoon! Don't know why anyone puts up with all the BS in Cuyahoga if they live there. Planning on going there next year when it's time to renew.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
laserbiz

Post by laserbiz »

I too had a great experience with Geauga County Sheriffs office.. I Live In Cuyahoga, but have gone thru Geauga for my initial CHL and 2 subsequent renewals. Those people are just terrific! My wait was 6 days, apparently more and more people are going thru Geauga.
jsabolent

Post by jsabolent »

Had no problem getting in, I timed it on a Tueaday after noon. 1 person ahead of me, 3 behind me. Submitted my application over two weeks ago. Still waiting. Not sure what the hold up is. Prob the list of address from the age of 18 i think lol
J Sabol
Pecker

Post by Pecker »

Is Cuyahoga the only county that will mail you your permit so you don't have to make a return trip?
jsabolent

Post by jsabolent »

Figured i would update everyone here, my application was in Geauga. They have officially gotten overwhelmed as well. My may still be another 2-4 weeks. I also found that sometimes, the background stuff gets mailed postal, instead of electronic, so that can also have an effect on the time it takes to get it. Guy i talked ot was nice, and informative. I was just being curious lol
J Sabol
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Pecker wrote:Is Cuyahoga the only county that will mail you your permit so you don't have to make a return trip?
Wayne county will too, but you have to bring a SASE.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Kgolf31

Post by Kgolf31 »

Same experience. Took 4 days for me and everyone I encountered was awesome.
jobu72
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by jobu72 »

Not sure if what is going on up there. I am over three weeks waiting on a standard renewal from them. I did the same thing as others. Didn't want to wait so long for Cuyahoga.
johnsoda

Post by johnsoda »

JustaShooter wrote:
Pecker wrote:Is Cuyahoga the only county that will mail you your permit so you don't have to make a return trip?
Wayne county will too, but you have to bring a SASE.
Ditto for Greene County.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

jobu72 wrote:Not sure if what is going on up there. I am over three weeks waiting on a standard renewal from them. I did the same thing as others. Didn't want to wait so long for Cuyahoga.
That sounds very odd for Geauga. Might want to give them a call just to see if it might have gotten misplaced or something silly like that.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
clefmeister

Post by clefmeister »

I submitted my application (first-time) in Geauga County yesterday afternoon. Deputy Mullet (I think) said his best guess was 2-4 weeks. He said they've been processing quite a few out-of-county applications. I'm hoping mine gets done fairly quickly, but I had something like 14 addresses since I turned 18, so I'm trying not to let myself get too hopeful!
jobu72
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by jobu72 »

jobu72 wrote:Not sure if what is going on up there. I am over three weeks waiting on a standard renewal from them. I did the same thing as others. Didn't want to wait so long for Cuyahoga.
Just wanted to follow up. It did take right at four weeks. But I tell ya one thing ... they are the nicest people over there. Very pleasant office to deal with.
clefmeister

Post by clefmeister »

I put in my CHL application on Tuesday, May 21, 2013. Got the call this morning that my license is ready for pickup. Excellent turnaround time, from my point of view...2 weeks to the day, even though Memorial Day was last week!
jsabolent

Post by jsabolent »

Got my CCW today as well. Offically 5 weeks on the mark. I am happy to say i am now a member of the Legal, Licence and Responsible Concealed Carry owners!
J Sabol