PA non-resident ccl

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jmr600

PA non-resident ccl

Post by jmr600 »

i live near steubenville ,ohio . wife and i have our ohio ccl and wanting to get pa's as well. question is ,is washington co. a good co. for non-res or should we go elsewhere. thanks jim
SMMAssociates

Re: PA non-resident ccl

Post by SMMAssociates »

jmr600:

Welcome Aboard!

PA Counties are kind of funny. Some Sheriff's absolutely refuse, and some welcome non-residents.

Probably the best thing to do is call the Sheriff's office and see what they have to say. Somebody here may have a recommendation, too, if you don't mind waiting a little longer.

You'll need the $25 or whatever it is, and an application (usually on the Sheriff's web site), but perhaps a picture, and some are asking for references who live in PA. The Sheriff's staff should be able to tell you, but I'd look for a web site, too.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
jmr600

Post by jmr600 »

I answered my own question, but I have to thank you for your reply. I did exactly as you said. My results are Washington Co. is a no for non resident. My wife and I are going to Westmoreland Co. next week. The fee is $20.
bearkitty

Post by bearkitty »

FWIW, Got mine from Dauphin (Harrisburg area) County, with references.
"Awesome" is code word for CC in my house. Cuts down on the kids asking, loudly, in public, if I am in possession of anything that goes bang.
iShoot

Post by iShoot »

It's probably about a two-hour drive from Steubenville, but I can confirm that Crawford County in PA is non-resident friendly.
Mercer County no longer accepts non-resident applications.
Lawrence County will accept non-resident applications, but your references must be Lawrence County residents.
They have convenient hours (9am-4pm Mon-Fri with no appointment needed), and allow your references to be from anywhere, not just PA or same county residents.

Here's a link to the Sheriff's website; and the application can be downloaded from here as well:
http://www.crawfordcountypa.net/portal/ ... ema=PORTAL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jmr600

Post by jmr600 »

Sorry but I don't see anywhere on the application that states that the 2 references have to be residents of said co. I will call the Westmoreland Co sheriff office tomorrow to check if the references need to be residents of country or not. Thanks Jim
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

jmr600 wrote:Sorry but I don't see anywhere on the application that states that the 2 references have to be residents of said co.
^ This requirement varies by county.

It's not written on the applications, but if you'll search through the old posts here, you'll find that this is common knowledge, and that there have been Ohio applicants who've been burned on this in the past.

You're right to call ahead to check, if you cannot verify through here (or another reliable source) whether or not your targeted county will require resident references.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
jmr600

Post by jmr600 »

Just got off the phone with the Westmoreland county sheriff's office concerning the 2references. They said they can be from anywhere, just not family members. Thanks to all that tried to help. Greensburg is about 2hr drive also, wife and I are heading there Wednesday morning. Will post are experience. Jim
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Cool beans. Have a safe drive, and yep, please let us know. :)
calvin56

Post by calvin56 »

I drove all the way to Centre county to renew. Six hours drive time (round trip), five minutes for the renewal.
jmr600

Post by jmr600 »

Just returned from Greensburg Pa. Everything thing was painless and easy. The people were very good to deal with. The cost was $20. Picture was taken and told permit will be in the mail. The sheriff did request a short written letter stating why a permit was needed. Being we do a lot of camping in PA it was no big deal. My wife and I both applied and were on our way in about a half-hour. From Steubenville the drive was about 2hrs. Westmoreland county is good for non resident.
Thanks again to everyone who replied...Jim
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Thanks for the updates! :)
jmr600

Post by jmr600 »

received our pa. non- res. permits in the mail today,applied Tuesday. i think that was quick :D ,,,Jim
mrjam2jab

Post by mrjam2jab »

jmr600 wrote:The sheriff did request a short written letter stating why a permit was needed. Being we do a lot of camping in PA it was no big deal.

That's one of the questions on the application...why would he "need" a written letter???
jmr600

Post by jmr600 »

Probably for the same reason that some sheriffs ( counties) will issue non resident permits and some refuse to do so. For me it was no big deal, plain and simple,, self defense. Jim