Question about application

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jbstyle

Question about application

Post by jbstyle »

I will be taking the CCW training course in June. I have a Misdemeanor Unlawful Restraint charge on my record from the early 90's. Will this effect my application with the Sherrif?
BobK

Re: Question about application

Post by BobK »

I assume you meant conviction, not charge, right.

Anyway, the only misdemeanors that affect a CHL over three years old are "Misdemeanor Crimes of Domestic Violence" and drug convictions.

So unless you were unlawfully restraining your wife (or similar relationship) by use of force, you should be fine.

I see it is your first post, so WELCOME.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Question about application

Post by cashman966 »

If you were convicted under 2905.03, unlawful restraint, there is no need to check yes anywhere on the application form as Ohio does not consider it an offense of violence under the ORC.

I would also question, if the victim was a person that would meet the definitions for a domestic violence type charge, whether it would put the OP under a federal disability anyway. By definition no force, violence or threat thereof are elements of the crime, if they were it would be kidnapping.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.