Should I be worried?

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Hatrix

Should I be worried?

Post by Hatrix »

When I was 16 and on the High School Football team I was stupid and followed along with the "cool kids" and ended up with an Assault charge. I plead guilty and received 6 months probation and have never been in trouble since. It's been so long, I honestly do not remember if it was a misdemeanor or felony, just that I plead guilty to it.

Can this be held against me when I apply for my permit?

For that matter what should I answer to the questions on the application? I've read and re-read the questions a couple hundred times now. I think I can honestly answer NO to all of them... if I'm reading them correctly and not misunderstanding anything. Is there anyone out there who was in a similar situation or can offer some insight?

After seeing the local news the other night about people "falsifying" their applications I'd sure hate to end up in jail and being made an example of because I didn't understand something properly.

HELP!! LOL :)
wkdravenna

Re: Should I be worried?

Post by wkdravenna »

If it happened when your'e a juvenile then yeah you shouldn't have anything to worry about I don't think.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
BobK

Post by BobK »

wkdravenna wrote:If it happened when your'e a juvenile then yeah you shouldn't have anything to worry about I don't think.
Not true.

If one commits a crime as a juvenile that would be a felony as an adult, that does disqualify you from a Concealed Handgun License (CHL).

To the OP, your safest bet is to contact the Clerk of Courts for wherever this happened and tell them you want to get a copy of your case disposition. They will be able to tell you the process to get this.

If this is a misdemeanor, it is obviously older than 3 years so that will not be an impediment. If you were "adjudicated a delinquent child for committing an act that if committed by an adult would be a felony", then you will need to get your record sealed. Once it is sealed, you are eligible for a CHL and you should also get it expunged.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
lrp3rd

Post by lrp3rd »

Bob K, where would this forum be without you? Thank you for your dedication.
Hatrix

Post by Hatrix »

I forgot to add... I've searched the Clerk Of Courts web search under my exact name and date of birth for court cases/convictions, and also paid for an online Criminal background check and nothing was returned. Dunno if that's any help at all.

All this legal stuff is so darn confusing!
BobK

Post by BobK »

Hatrix wrote:I forgot to add... I've searched the Clerk Of Courts web search under my exact name and date of birth for court cases/convictions, and also paid for an online Criminal background check and nothing was returned. Dunno if that's any help at all.

All this legal stuff is so darn confusing!
Juvenile records aren't going to be publicly available on-line. You need to speak with the clerk of courts. You will have to prove your identity to access those records.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

Hatrix

Post by Hatrix »

OK, I just got back from the Juvenile Clerk Of Courts. I sat up all night worrying and decided to drive down and try my luck at finding out what I could.

After searching in my name, and both my parent's names neither the woman helping me nor her supervisor could find any evidence of me ever having a record as a juvenile. They said that it's possible that the record was expunged. But they have no record of me in their system at all. I know for sure that I never had the record sealed or expunged though.

Maybe I'm remembering things wrong and the Judge at the time took pity on me and dropped the charges? All I remember is getting in their "chambers" or whatever it was with my lawyer and being a bundle of nerves, scared as hell thinking I was going to jail and pretty much ready to cry at the drop of a hat. The Judge got stern with me and I lost it. I was told not to get into trouble ever again and that's all I really remember... I never had to see a Probation officer or anything, just assumed I was on probation.

Anyways I'm tired and rambling... apparently I have no juvi record so all is looking good... I THINK.

BobK thanks for your help and input.
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

Thanks for the correction Bob. I always try to be accurate. :D
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Hatrix:

A lot of juvenile "crimes" vanish into the dark night when the offender reaches 18 or 21....

Others are shut down by some kind of "rehab" program.

The only real question at this time is "did I get the right court?". If you think so, you probably can ignore the whole thing. Otherwise, think some more, and try another court....

Short answer is "don't panic"....

Just IMHO/IANAL....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Hatrix

Post by Hatrix »

It was a juvenile offense, I know that for sure. So it would have been juvi court.

I'm going to Geauga Saturday to put in my application and hopefully everything is fine. Guess I'll know one way or another in a few weeks.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Glad everything is looking up for you. Good luck with getting licensed quickly.

SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Hatrix:

What I meant by "wrong court" is "wrong County"....

But it's still looking very good.

The Mud Monster got a ticket over near Ravenna someplace, and I had to get things moved to Mahoning County. Nothing but paperwork, but still a PITA. You may not remember....

(Who got the fine, and where the offense lies.... In Becka's case, it all stayed in Mahoning County, but who knows.)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Hatrix

Post by Hatrix »

Ah I got ya now. I misunderstood. It was the only Juvenile court system in Cuyhaoga County so that is where the record would be.

I'm a lot more at ease today knowing they have nothing in their computers on me. I was really stressing for a while there the last day or so :shock:

Thanks again everyone for your input!