sorry,another beat to death question

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mrlizzzard

sorry,another beat to death question

Post by mrlizzzard »

I am an Ohio resident wintering in TX.This winter I took and passed the TX. CCL.Ohio and TX. do not reciprocate and I called the AG in Ohio to find out if the TX. CCL would benefit me any in acquiring an Ohio CCL.The representative was vague and I believe told me I had to start from scratch.He also said that my local Sheriff could perhaps make things easier.

Can I get some help in what to do in this manor.I was printed and background checked in December and did well in class.

I know,I know dumb question but why don't these two great states reciprocate?

thanks in advance ,
mrlizzzard
techguy85

Re: sorry,another beat to death question

Post by techguy85 »

They don't because Texas doesn't like us not running everyone through the FBI (only people who have lived here 5 years or less)
You will need to take a class that ,meets Ohio's standards. Your local sheriff has no legal discression when it comes to CHL issueance so cannot "make it easier."
mrlizzzard

Post by mrlizzzard »

This is a reply to BIG V 's pm.My pm isn't working.Some of you know I am from Ohio but winter in TX.I wanted to buy a couple of guns and being from out of state you can't do it here.Someone mentioned I could buy a gun with a CCL from TX.So I took the class and passed and still could not purchase.I met a person who told me to got to DVM and get a TX> I D.Not a drivers license but for $6 I could buy a gun any gun any time.For anyone coming here for sometime just get the I D by showing two addressed bills with your name and a TX> address and you are in.Do not relinquish your OHIO drivers license unless you are moving there for keeps.College kid should use this method.

Texas is great because you can have a weapon concealed and loaded in your car or truck or bike(no CCL needed).Any licensed driver can,resident of not.I just wish TX and Ohio reciprocated!

hope this helps
mrlizzzard
BobK

Post by BobK »

Your Texas CHL course could be used to qualify for an Ohio CHL if your Texas Instructor was willing to provide certification that the Texas course met the course requirements for Ohio.

Texas has minimum 10 hours training with no maximum and includes both a classroom competency exam and a range competency exam. If the instructor took 12 total hours to complete the Texas course, including 2 hours spent on the range, provided a link to the Ohio Attorney General 2013 Concealed Carry Laws Manual, and certified the course content satisfied the below topics, then that satisfies Ohio training requirements.

All Texas CHL Instructors are certified by the State of Texas, so they are considered qualified instructors under Ohio law.

If you only took the standard 10 hour course, you could request the Instructor let you "sit in" on the 2 hour range portion of his next course and get 12 total hours that way as well. Or, alternatively, he could spend 2 hours 1-on-1 with you providing private instruction on any of the below topics or actual shooting skills, and complete the 12 hours.

Here are the requirements per Ohio R.C. 2923.125
(G)(1) Each course, class, or program described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), or (e) of this section shall provide to each person who takes the course, class, or program the web site address at which the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters may be found. Each such course, class, or program described in one of those divisions shall include at least twelve hours of training in the safe handling and use of a firearm that shall include all of the following:

(a) At least ten hours of training on the following matters:

(i) The ability to name, explain, and demonstrate the rules for safe handling of a handgun and proper storage practices for handguns and ammunition;

(ii) The ability to demonstrate and explain how to handle ammunition in a safe manner;

(iii) The ability to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to shoot a handgun in a safe manner;

(iv) Gun handling training.

(b) At least two hours of training that consists of range time and live-fire training.

(2) To satisfactorily complete the course, class, or program described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), or (e) of this section, the applicant shall pass a competency examination that shall include both of the following:

(a) A written section on the ability to name and explain the rules for the safe handling of a handgun and proper storage practices for handguns and ammunition;

(b) A physical demonstration of competence in the use of a handgun and in the rules for safe handling and storage of a handgun and a physical demonstration of the attitude necessary to shoot a handgun in a safe manner.

(3) The competency certification described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), or (e) of this section shall be dated and shall attest that the course, class, or program the applicant successfully completed met the requirements described in division (G)(1) of this section and that the applicant passed the competency examination described in division (G)(2) of this section.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
mrlizzzard

Post by mrlizzzard »

Hello BobK or anyone.I have been looking for a way to view" posts since my last visit".Please tell me if is available?Also how can I message a member or pm a moderator with a question on the fac sheet.

thanks
mrlizzzard
mreising

Post by mreising »

Now that you have 5 posts under your belt you should be able to use the PM function. There is a ""probationary" period of 5 posts before that is open to you. Welcome to the forums.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
BobK

Post by BobK »

mrlizzzard wrote:Hello BobK or anyone.I have been looking for a way to view" posts since my last visit".
When you first login to the main page of the forums, under the Kyle Gunshop ad and to the left of the screen are links for "View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics".

"View New Posts" will list all posts since your last visit.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
mrlizzzard

Post by mrlizzzard »

Thank you very much.
Peter

Post by Peter »

The Florida license offers reciprocity with Texas and Ohio -- perhaps you can qualify for the Florida license with your Texas training.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/c ... carry.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://app1.licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/f ... tions.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mrlizzzard

Post by mrlizzzard »

Got it.Ohio accepted my TX credentials.I now have dual CHL's
Thanks for all your help.

mrlizzzard
Miracle
Location: Toledo Ohio (born and back again) previously St Louis and Austin

Post by Miracle »

mrlizzzard wrote:Got it.Ohio accepted my TX credentials.I now have dual CHL's
Thanks for all your help.

mrlizzzard

Can you tell me how you did this. I lived in Austin for 2 years and got my Chl there, now I live back in Ohio and am trying to find the easiest way to get my Ohio Chl ;) thanks in advance