Lorain County scheduling appointments in July as of early Ma

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

22rimfire

Re: Lorain County scheduling appointments in July as of earl

Post by 22rimfire »

^^Nope, reportedly, they take all of the 45 days and more on occasion. So I'd be looking at 5-6 months to ge the CHL.

Meanwhile, I took a nice drive over to Erie County this morning, dropped off my application, and was done in ten minutes. I was the only one there, and had a nice chat with the lady processing my application. She said they get a "ton" of Lorain County applicants. Lorain only processed 500 applicants last year, and she said they've done more than that since the first of the year.

I was near the range I belong to over there, so took the opportunity to fire the S&W 642 for the first time. I need some practice... :oops:
Steve - Lorain County (west of Cleveland)
NRA Life Member - Gun Owners of America - Garand Collectors Association - Second Amendment Foundation
Ohio Gun Collectors Association - Ohioans for Concealed Carry - Erie County Conservation League - Ohio CHL
Cynyster

Post by Cynyster »

I did the same thing. I live in Lorain. and the whole appointment thing has been going on forever. You did good going to Erie county. They are exceptionally nice over there. :)
Life without music is a mistake.
Sky Pilot

Post by Sky Pilot »

I called Lorain County the last week of January and told them I was a second renewal, expire March 10, they said April 1st was the earliest they could work me in.
I called Ashland County and was in within the week.
Plaeasant young woman on the phone, and a pleasant young man handling my paperwork: both were excellent ambassadors for their firm.
Go south, young man. :mrgreen:
Center Township Combat Pistol League
TARDIS driver, NRA Endowment!
"I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

I need to renew this fall, got my first in Lucas County as that is where I lived at the time but, I guess I'll goto Erie or Ashland.
-Aaron
22rimfire

Post by 22rimfire »

The Erie County Sheriff's office called this morning, and my CHL is ready to be picked up. That's two weeks to the day from when I applied.

Steve
NRA Life Member - Gun Owners of America - Garand Collectors Association - Second Amendment Foundation
Ohio Gun Collectors Association - Ohioans for Concealed Carry - Erie County Conservation League - Ohio CHL
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

I emailed the Lorain County Sheriff's office via their "Contact Us" tab on their website this morning.
Dear Sirs, Today, May 3rd, I called the office to make an appointment to renew my Ohio License to Carry a Concealed Handgun. I was informed that the earliest available appointment was in September of 2013. The person I spoke to suggested that I go to another county to apply. The spirit of the law passed in 2004 included an up to 45 day period to process the application, but never assumed one would have to wait 4 to 5 months just to apply. I consider this situation to be unduly prohibitive, despite the existence of alternate counties. I would like to know what is being done,(besides turning people away) to reduce the wait time to a more reasonable period of under one month. Thank you.
Muxtech.
The British are going! The British are going!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Maybe you should have CC'd that e-mail to the Lorain County Auditor and county commissioners, too. A longtime county auditor down here has told me on several occasions that if a sheriff's office is run properly, doing the background checks is not a fiscally-negative duty for them to perform, given the fees charged for the service. So yeah, Lorain should put somebody else on the job, one way or another, it would pay for itself over a period of time.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
BobK

Post by BobK »

JustaShooter wrote:Relax, there is no conspiracy. :roll:

It is all about allocation of resources. Up until recently, a single officer could process all of the CHL applications (and it is more than just dropping it off, as you know). But with the recent surge in applications it has overwhenlmed the single officer to where they are very backed up - but, unless thay want to take officers off of their other duties, they can't do more. Hiring more is probably out of the question due to budget constraints, so their hope is to deal with the backlog and when demand subsides things will get back to normal.

Or would you rather take officers away from their other duties, or pay higher taxes to be able to hire more officers?
Except CHL applications are a profit center, not a cost, for the sheriff. Scheduling 1 appointment per hour is being deliberately obstructive.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

BobK wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:Relax, there is no conspiracy. :roll:

It is all about allocation of resources. Up until recently, a single officer could process all of the CHL applications (and it is more than just dropping it off, as you know). But with the recent surge in applications it has overwhenlmed the single officer to where they are very backed up - but, unless thay want to take officers off of their other duties, they can't do more. Hiring more is probably out of the question due to budget constraints, so their hope is to deal with the backlog and when demand subsides things will get back to normal.

Or would you rather take officers away from their other duties, or pay higher taxes to be able to hire more officers?
Except CHL applications are a profit center, not a cost, for the sheriff.
More likely revenue neutral, but unless the county can expect to always have enough CHL applications coming in to be able to pay an entire officer's salary and benefits, you still can't hire a new officer to take up the slack without the budget to do so. So, we are back to either higher taxes or diverting resources from other areas. Take your pick.
Scheduling 1 appointment per hour is being deliberately obstructive.
At the time I wrote the above I didn't realize they were only scheduling one appointment per hour for the statutory minimum of 15 hours per week. I agree that what they are doing is obstructive, and almost certainly deliberate.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

JustaShooter wrote:More likely revenue neutral, but unless the county can expect to always have enough CHL applications coming in to be able to pay an entire officer's salary and benefits, you still can't hire a new officer to take up the slack without the budget to do so. So, we are back to either higher taxes or diverting resources from other areas. Take your pick.
Unless the sheriff has a poor contract with the deputy's union then there's absolutely no reason these have to be handled by sworn personnel. In Cuyahoga they have at least two full-time people and I know they're clerical. Factor in bennies and I think $18-20 an hour would cover it. We also have the benefit of nine years' experience at this point. Demand and the growth thereof is pretty well established by now.

Regardless even if he's only going to be open for the mandated 15 hours a week it's in the sheriff's best interest to crank as many applicants through as possible. His manpower is costing him the same whether he processes 15 applications or 45.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

djthomas wrote:Regardless even if he's only going to be open for the mandated 15 hours a week it's in the sheriff's best interest to crank as many applicants through as possible. His manpower is costing him the same whether he processes 15 applications or 45.
Not necessarily - if the officer's duties during those 15 hours are not solely dedicated to processing CHL applications, manpower requirements go up as the number of CHL applications goes up.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

The bottom line is I could walk into Erie County Sheriff's Office tomorrow morning at 8 AM and apply, yet Lorain County is telling me September. If the elected Sheriff of Lorain County is interested in serving the citizens of his county past the next election, perhaps he should figure out what bureaucratic magic voodoo is going on over in Erie and do that. The "we don't have enough manpower" is a load of crap. And I'm going to prove it before I'm done.

Just who are these people booking appointments in September when they could go apply in Erie tomorrow? Am I really supposed to believe that they are really processing applications like gangbusters? I have to hire Erie county to do the job that Lorain county refuses to do. Maybe I should swim there. :roll:

I want to know how many licenses has LC issued so far this year compared to the neighboring counties and does that jive with the number of "appointments" they "allow" our residents. That's just for starters. I will be going to the county commissioners next, and possibly to the media, though they probably don't care either.
22rimfire

Post by 22rimfire »

When I got my license from Erie County, she said they got "tons" of Lorain County applicants. She also said Lorain County only processed something like 300 licenses in all of 2012, about as many as Erie does in a couple of months ( or Lake County does in a few days.)
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

22rimfire wrote:When I got my license from Erie County, she said they got "tons" of Lorain County applicants. She also said Lorain County only processed something like 300 licenses in all of 2012, about as many as Erie does in a couple of months ( or Lake County does in a few days.)
If their 60 appointments are booked solid like they say that would equal 720 licenses a year, minus denials. Lorain County has decided to "opt out" of the CHL business.

I have always liked the expression, "There's a new Sheriff in town." It looks like that is what is needed. Stamitti's looking like a foot-dragging, anti-CHL Sheriff. We deserve better.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

I wonder what changed with Stamitti? Lorain County used to be walk-in. I applied on the second day concealed carry became legal and got my license in 28 days. In 2008, I walked in and renewed my license and it was ready for pick up seven days later.

Here are the annual stats for Lorain. Things started trending downward in 2011. Is that when the appointment system kicked in?

2004 1696
2005 597
2006 368
2007 499
2008 1431
2009 1220
2010 1352
2011 1064
2012 713