Renewal

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Carol

Renewal

Post by Carol »

Please forgive me if this has been answered. I have searched the forum and think I know the answer but want to be 100% sure. My license expires on March 5, 2013. (Third renewal) Am I correct that I can wait to renew until March 27, 2013 (under 30 day grace period) and will not have to provide a competency certificate? I understand I may have to stop carrying for a few days if the sheriff does not renew quickly. However, I will be renewing in Franklin County and they are pretty fast. Can't afford right now to pay for renewal certificate. Would like an answer from someone who is reasonably sure (understand 100% might not be possible because this is new- but would at least like an attorney or sheriffs opinion.) how the process will work for those of us that are caught in the "expiring before March 27" renewal problem. Thanks.
Carol
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Renewal

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Yes you can wait and use that grace period. Just as you said factor in that depending on processing times of the county you choose it may leave a few days without a legal way to conceal carry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

And although PGWP isn't an attorney or a Sheriff, he does on occation play one on TV... Trust him.
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

I think a couple instructors on here were offering a free competency class to get those caught in the loophole.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Give us an idea of your general location. We have several instructors here that are willing to help. :wink:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Carol wrote:My license expires on March 5, 2013. (Third renewal)
Carol, since your question has been answered properly, I'll just nit-pick a bit. :)

Unless you're talking about something other than an Ohio license, this will be your second renewal, not your third.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

I don't know how far it would get you as there really is no authority for them to do it, but - just for grins - it may be worth the few minutes on the phone to simply ask if they'll renew before Mar. 27 without a competency certificate in consideration of the pending law change.

Who knows? They might say yes. If not, nothing lost but some time on the phone.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

sodbuster95 wrote:I don't know how far it would get you as there really is no authority for them to do it, but - just for grins - it may be worth the few minutes on the phone to simply ask if they'll renew before Mar. 27 without a competency certificate in consideration of the pending law change.

Hell, they don't know current laws and you expect them to know pending laws? :roll:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

pirateguy191 wrote:
sodbuster95 wrote:I don't know how far it would get you as there really is no authority for them to do it, but - just for grins - it may be worth the few minutes on the phone to simply ask if they'll renew before Mar. 27 without a competency certificate in consideration of the pending law change.

Hell, they don't know current laws and you expect them to know pending laws? :roll:
Well, admittedly, it's a longshot... :lol:
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Carol

Post by Carol »

Thanks for all the responses- Yes it is my second renewal, I was erroneously counting my first application. I am located on the northeast side of Columbus.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Chuck is an instructor around that area. He may be able to help you.

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/memberlist ... ile&u=5983" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eagle45
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by eagle45 »

Mine expires on 3/16. My Florida license is good until 2016, so I plan to carry as usual, then renew after the 27th.
"Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks.” Thomas Jefferson.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

eagle45 wrote:Mine expires on 3/16. My Florida license is good until 2016, so I plan to carry as usual, then renew after the 27th.
That's exactly what I'm doing. Mine expires on the same day and my renewal appointment is April 1. That way, I regain two of the four weeks I lost with my first renewal. I'd wait longer, but I am going out of state for a few weeks shortly after that.

By the way, if you are renewing in Warren County, you better make your appointment now. They are making appointments for about three months after you call.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
eagle45
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by eagle45 »

schmieg wrote:By the way, if you are renewing in Warren County, you better make your appointment now. They are making appointments for about three months after you call.
Thanks for that tip - I'll call Monday.
"Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks.” Thomas Jefferson.
Carol

Post by Carol »

Just a short update- I called the Franklin County Sheriff today to schedule an appointment for after HB 495 goes into effect. A very nice woman seemed to know exactly what I needed and scheduled the appointment for March 25, stating the law goes into effect on March 22nd. I also called the Atty. Generals office and they said March 27th. Called FC back and the nice woman again stated it goes into effect on March 22nd and I would not need a competency certificate on March 25th. She seemed more knowledgeable than the Atty. General's help line so hopefully I will be OK on March 25th!