Columbiana County Renewal Notes

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

SMMAssociates

Columbiana County Renewal Notes

Post by SMMAssociates »

A little behind, but wth....

I went down to Lisbon, to the Columbiana County Courthouse office of the Sheriff, a few weeks back, on a Wednesday. Gave them the $55, and was told to go to the Jail the following Wednesday.

The Courthouse office is open 0800-1600, Monday through Friday.

However, the Jail is only accepting us from 0800 to 0830, M-F.

Went down again on the following Wednesday (I've been working midnights!), and was in and out in about fifteen minutes. Other than the hour, it was a non-problem. (The Deputy had a little trouble with my last name, which was kinda fun 'cause I handed him my typed app and my old CHL....)

I was told to come back in about ten days. With a renewal, he said, they could have it back in a few hours, but I might as well play it safe, and not waste the drive.

My regular range buddy Joe and I went down the following Friday. It was his first visit to the Jail, and my second. About ten guys there when we showed up, and maybe 30 minutes later I had my new CHL. Different Deputy, who thought that my encounter with the first one was funny, and almost took my prints again until we both decided it was my second visit.... Only problem is that he used "today's" date instead of June 4th, which is when my old one would have expired. I doubt if that'll matter....

Joe and another friend went down Friday AM (5/16) for Joe's second visit. I'm not sure where the other guy was "at". Took 'em about 90 minutes. About 20 guys in the place.... But Joe got it done without any other problems.

I'm guessing that, as we get to the end of May, the whole universe of guys who got into the first few classes will be renewing. I just lucked into being ahead of the curve.

I questioned the gal at the Courthouse about the early hours, but she claims that they only have to accept applications on a "wide open" basis (14 hours a week or something like that), and the actual processing can be at their convenience. I wasn't going to argue about it, but that was the extent of any negative experience with the process.

Except that the sweet young applicant thing (she worked at a local hospital, I think) from last time wasn't there. :cry:

Things are a little messed up there - the current Sheriff is on the way out due to a OVI conviction - but that didn't seem to change anything. Last time around, we did the same three-visit drill, but the Jail sessions were 1000-1200. Much more convenient....

(Once the crunch is over, that probably won't matter.)

I will add that allowing ten days between the prints session at the Jail and the final visit might be a good idea if you're a new applicant, but otherwise it wasn't bad. That said, there's no sane reason (other than not letting the guy at the Jail handle the money) not to do the prints when you drop off the application.... They apparently are using the same PC to handle both visits, and I'm not sure if that could be split to allow the prints to be taken at the Courthouse or not. IAC, I think the idea is that they can maintain control over the cash, and the Deputy at the Jail is whoever didn't have enough seniority to be someplace else :D....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

"today's" date instead of June 4th, which is when my old one would have expired.
The law requirs the date of issue on the renewal. That gets people in trouble when they wait till the last month, some have run out of time!
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Cruiser wrote:
"today's" date instead of June 4th, which is when my old one would have expired.
The law requires the date of issue on the renewal. That gets people in trouble when they wait till the last month, some have run out of time!
Cruiser:

I wasn't aware of the requirement for the date - I'd heard that somebody had managed to get his dated to match his original date. But that's really a non-issue. (I gotta check my PA and NH licenses. I think I've got another year on both.)

IAC, with the grace period (that apparently is some kind of secret), waiting until the last minute is really only a problem if the Sheriff exceeds that. Which is one reason I applied about the first of May for a "first of June" expiration. It didn't take 60 days the last time :D....

That said, think about this one: You can carry on an expired CHL for 30 days, assuming it's not been revoked. You can't carry without the CHL card for 30 seconds without being subject to a mandatory fine....

Joe ran into a time sink when he made his second trip - the place was full, and the guy ahead of him had no index finger, and trouble getting printed (that guy was on his first visit).

Overall, other than the 0800-0830 thing, I'd give 'em an "A" for "Effort". Nice people, and very pleasant.

Millenia ago, I had a Youngstown Police Department "Special Commission". OPOTA training, and all that. It had to be renewed every six months, which involved paying a buck and having somebody type up a new certificate and getting the Chief's signature on it. I went with that for at least ten years, and the renewal procedure varied from "thanks, and have a nice day" to "what the {expletive too foul for our younger mods} are you doing here?" The best was June Martinko, who quit to get married, unfortunately. She was the "Secretary" in the Crime Lab, and absolutely worth the drive down there. Worst was one of the Detectives, who felt it was beneath him to talk to us. Third best was one of the old-timers who let you leave the buck with somebody else and tape your old paper to his desk. He'd mail you the new one.

Second best was a young Detective who found out that his boss and I were good friends.... I'd go BS with the Lieutenant and he'd bring the paperwork to me. :) (Really nice guy IAC. One of his uncles was also with YPD, and a friend of mine.)

(I know I've posted this before. Hope I got it right :D....)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם