CHL Renewal Reports

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Renewing in Geauga County

Post by Cruiser »

loup wrote:I went to the Geauga Sheriff on Saturday 2/23. When I called during the week they said they sometimes have a crowd on Saturdays. I got there about 7:45 a.m. and found the waiting room empty. I had to bring a new passport photo, but the deputy didn't want a new application. He asked if anything was changed. I said no. He took my picture and $55 and told me he'd call me in 5-7 days to pick up my new license. As usual Deputy Dewey was courteous.
This is what boils my butt! :x Differant Sheriff's playing loose with the law! The Law requires a new application.
I got to obey the law but they don't? :x
Terry Wolf

Morrow County

Post by Terry Wolf »

I applied for my renewal in Morrow County today and was informed they were facing staff cuts this Friday, including the CC License renewal lady (due to budget problems). She was very much aware of the 45 day window in which licenses must be issued/renewed and indicated she thought that would be the case.

However, choosing one of your adjacent counties might be prudent until they get their money problems solved.
Old Coastie.
Ohio CC License issued April 2004.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Picked up my Renew'd CHL in Mercer Co. today. Dated the day it was loaded into LEADS. 2-22-08. Smooth, non-uniformed lady took the picture etc. Offered me a protector sleeve, turned it down, didn't need one the first four years!
Roy C

Post by Roy C »

Turned in my renewal at Preble county after
work today. (Feb. 26th)

Application, picture, original certificate from 2004 along with
a copy for them to keep, got finger printed and parted with
$55.00.

Was told to give it a couple of weeks, we will see.

I'll edit this when I get it.

Update: March 6, got the call and picked it up today.
7 working days by my count.
No problems noted

Roy
Last edited by Roy C on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buckeyered

Post by buckeyered »

The wife and I renewed yesterday in Butler County, the officer was very polite and professional in processing us and he said he would call when they are ready to be picked up in 2 or 3 weeks. As a note we didn't spend 16.00 on passport photos this time on the both of us, we took pictures of each other with our digital camera and printed them out and trimmed them to 2"X2" and they came out just as good as Walgreen's passport photos.
"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees." Emiliano Zapata
niteowlb

Waiting

Post by niteowlb »

Completed course on Jan 28th then handed in application on Jan 30th at Huron County Sheriff's dept. Recieved call about 2 weeks ago to come in and get license but when we got there the officer was out sick and no one bothered to call us and tell us not to come!!! Been calling ever since and officer is still out sick and they put us all on hold because he is the only one that can do the process. I would think someone should be able to fill in. When I call off sick at my job, it just doesn't go undone. I feel sorry for
the sick officer I have had the flu recently also, but there are a bunch of us waiting. My neighbor handed his in to Richland county and had it back in 3 days!!! They didn't mind taking the $55. Last I heard they didn't know when he will return. I reminded them that they are supposed to get it done in 45 days and I was told they may have to train someone else to do it!!! 45 days are getting close. I'll quit crying now.
CaseyB

Re: Waiting

Post by CaseyB »

niteowlb wrote:45 days are getting close. I'll quit crying now.
On day 45 you should walk in and have someone find your license or threaten to file charges! Just because one guy is out sick doesn't mean that the whole operation should shut down!
Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II
pniemeyer
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pniemeyer »

I filed my renewal application in Warren County yesterday. I worked with a nice young lady named Glenda. She was very quick, very professional and very pleasant.

She said she would call me when the renewal was approved. She said it would probably be about two weeks because they are getting slammed with renewals. I didn't ask if Warren County was getting slammed or the organization (BCI?) that does the background check was getting slammed.
NRA Benefactor Member

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

I turned my materials in to Lorain County this past Wednesday [2/27] . Everything went very smoothly and she accepted a photocopy of my training certificate. She did warn me it could be "30-40 days", but since my expiration date is in May, no big deal.
Last edited by rickt on Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

rickt wrote:I turned my materials in to Lorain County this past Wednesday [2/28] . Everything went very smoothly and she accepted a photocopy of my training certificate. She did warn me it could be "30-40 days", but since my expiration date is in May, no big deal.
That Law actually allows "photocopies" of the training certificates.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

pniemeyer wrote:I filed my renewal application in Warren County yesterday. I worked with a nice young lady named Glenda. She was very quick, very professional and very pleasant.

She said she would call me when the renewal was approved. She said it would probably be about two weeks because they are getting slammed with renewals. I didn't ask if Warren County was getting slammed or the organization (BCI?) that does the background check was getting slammed.
Warren County is usually fast. My wife and daughter got their licenses there last summer. Dropped off the paperwork on Tuesday and got the licenses back on Friday.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Dad and I are heading to the Clermont County Sheriff's Office tomorrow for renewal, and weather allowing a side trip to Miami Rifle and Pistol Club for some shooting. Will give a report on the licensing part of the day afterwards. Since neither of us has moved or been involved in any criminal activity in the intervening months, I would expect a speedy and efficient turnaround on the re-up.

The CCSO has shortened application hours to Tuesday-Thursday 9am-4pm. During the initial process in '04 I think they were going 24/7 on the work.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
kahrdude

Post by kahrdude »

Does anyone know what the turn around time for renewals in Geauga County is?
pniemeyer
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pniemeyer »

Just got the phone call from the Warren County Sheriff's office.

My CHL renewal is ready to pick up.

Excellent turn around time. I dropped off the application last Wednesday at 12:30 p.m. and got the call 6 days later at 10:50 a.m. :)
NRA Benefactor Member

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Got out to Clermont County SO right at 9am today. Good thing, because by 9:10 or so there was a line starting to back up. Dad and I were first and second.

Things I liked:
1) They are friendly enough.

2) The jail is close by, in case your fingerprints aren't scanned properly by the electronic gizmo. This happened with dad, but didn't cause us too much extra delay. The deputy at the jail appeared to do an excellent job, said this was a common thing with older folks. (Something to "look forward to" down the road for some of us. :( )

Things I didn't like so much:
1) First thing you have to do is fill out another piece of paper: A form that says you agree to the background check. This takes a couple of extra minutes, right there at the pay window, where there isn't much room to write. Would have gladly filled that out ahead of time, if it was available, which of course it isn't.

2) If using cash, you MUST give them exact change. After four years of CHLs and several years of doing other background checks, why don't these SOs have a cash drawer/register? Employee trust issues? :roll:
Dad and I had the right amount, but a fellow behind us didn't and would have had to drive into Batavia to visit a bank. (Fortunately I was able to help him, getting my good deed of the day out of the way early!)

3) They said the renewals were running three weeks to 45 days. What the deuce? The original licenses were taking about a week (sometimes much less) for Clermont Co. to process. Hard to understand. They're running a background check this time that theoretically only needs to cover the last four years, especially if you've been at the same address since the original CHL was issued. (That's the case for dad and I.)

4) Dad's fingerprints went through electronically last time, due to them using an oil/moisturizer of some kind. No offer to do that today, just "You'll have to go over to the jail".

5) Going into the jail requires even further disarming, according to the signage on the lobby wall, and the drop box for commonly carried items such as pocket knives, pepper spray, etc., even though you're not going into the "population area" of the facility. Plus in some places, the Sheriff's Office and the jail aren't exactly right next door to each other. Could be a royal pain keeping that fingerprint card dry on a rough weather day.

Clermont County is going to have to do a record-fast renewal for me to bother driving out there again, nearby gun club or not. :? Rant over.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.