Portage County CCW Renewal

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

smilindave

Portage County CCW Renewal

Post by smilindave »

I went to the Portage County Sheriffs office back in March 2022 to renew my CCW. I had all the paperwork filled out and was able to step right up to the window to get the process started. I took a seat and 10 minutes later was called up to the window. The clerk asked me to explain why there was a Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) check run on me in the past. There was no record in the system to indicate why a BCI check was run. I stood there confused and let her know that I did not know why that would be showing up on my background search. I haven't even had a traffic ticket in over 15 years. She grilled me for a couple mintues aking me if I had ever been arrested or charged as a juvenile in other states that I previously lived. I would have remembered something like that so answered honestly NO. She commented that I don't look like a a bad person so she was going to issue the permit without delay. I walked out of the office with the permit in hand. I was driving home and it dawned on me: 21 years ago, My wife and I adopted 3 kids. A BCI background check and fingerprinting was needed to obtain a foster and adoption license. It's my understanding that there is now a reason code put in the system. A lot of occupations require as a condition of employment. I'm glad that I did not have to experience an additional delay.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Portage County CCW Renewal

Post by JustaShooter »

Glad to hear you weren't delayed. Interesting that a previous BCI check could result in a delay.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!