OPERS parking garage 9.68 violation?

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: OPERS parking garage 9.68 violation?

Post by Werz »

Well, I see lots of speculation about a post that says "Image" but shows no image, so I have no idea what is actually being discussed.

When I went into the OPERS office, the entry doors were clearly marked, but the parking garage was not. I dutifully left my firearm in the vehicle and didn't worry about it. It's a parking structure, and the law is what it is.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Werz wrote:Well, I see lots of speculation about a post that says "Image" but shows no image, so I have no idea what is actually being discussed.

When I went into the OPERS office, the entry doors were clearly marked, but the parking garage was not. I dutifully left my firearm in the vehicle and didn't worry about it. It's a parking structure, and the law is what it is.
The image (in a link provided to me by a friend that has apparently been removed) was a letter to employees of the facility indicating that concealed handgun licensees could not store their handguns in their vehicles in the parking structure, and if discovered to be in violation of the rule, would be required to take them home.

Here's a (hopefully more permanent) copy of the letter:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

JustaShooter wrote:
Werz wrote:Well, I see lots of speculation about a post that says "Image" but shows no image, so I have no idea what is actually being discussed.

The image (in a link provided to me by a friend that has apparently been removed) was a letter to employees of the facility indicating that concealed handgun licensees could not store their handguns in their vehicles in the parking structure, and if discovered to be in violation of the rule, would be required to take them home.

Here's a (hopefully more permanent) copy of the letter:
[Image omitted]
I find quite interesting the statement about law enforcement officers being asked to "voluntarily" surrender their weapons. Another effort at "social engineering," much like the one to which you were recently subjected. Right now, I am facing a similar "request," and I have no intention of waiving my exemption. It could become a very interesting situation.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Sorry for ''holy thread resurrection batman'' , but I may very well be going with a buddy this Wednesday. He says parking in that very parking lot of OPERS.

This can become a potential issue, any updates?
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WhyNot wrote:Sorry for ''holy thread resurrection batman'' , but I may very well be going with a buddy this Wednesday. He says parking in that very parking lot of OPERS.

This can become a potential issue, any updates?
I don't know about updates, but ORC 2923.1210, Ohio's parking lot storage law, went into effect in early 2017 so that should have put an end to this policy.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Got it thx!

I looked up that section and CLEARLY states re: parking ...'' (A) A business entity, property owner, or public or private employer may not establish...''

Also FYI to one & all, I think this attorneys position 8) is certainly based in fact re:

http://ohiogunlawyer.com/motor-vehicle-carry-laws/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Specifically, ''Statehouse Parking R.C. §2923.16(F)(7): A person is not prohibited from possessing, storing, or leaving a firearm in a locked motor vehicle that is parked in the state underground parking garage at the state capitol building or in the parking garage at the Riffe center for government and the arts in Columbus, if the person’s transportation and possession of the firearm in the motor vehicle while traveling to the premises or facility was not otherwise in violation of the law.''

In the pecking order of state buildings with attached parking areas, the aforemetioned underground garage & Riff center parking are numero uno; others even if not listed are way, way, way down the food trough.

Thnxs again, my buddy is a VN Vet and extra cautious :)

As an aside my plan was to simply drop off & park elsewhere. Which may very well be what happens.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good