Muskingum co. Fair?

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
Face

Muskingum co. Fair?

Post by Face »

I've been on the fairgrounds and never seen any posting... but. The fair is this week and the County Sheriff was quoted on the local TV station "

You can't have any alcohol here and obviously we don't permit any carry firearms. We like for people to have their shirts on when they are walking around the mid way. We try to limit bikes and skateboarding, because we don't want anybody hitting hit," Lutz said

https://www.whiznews.com/content/news/l ... m-county-s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Muskingum co. Fair?

Post by Stryker74 »

Face wrote:I've been on the fairgrounds and never seen any posting... but. The fair is this week and the County Sheriff was quoted on the local TV station "

You can't have any alcohol here and obviously we don't permit any carry firearms. We like for people to have their shirts on when they are walking around the mid way. We try to limit bikes and skateboarding, because we don't want anybody hitting hit," Lutz said

https://www.whiznews.com/content/news/l ... m-county-s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cueing MWSY in 3....2.....

It's in print as a quote - time to reach out to the Sheriff's office.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

On my list to call tomorrow.
MyWifeSaidYes
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Well I just contacted the Sheriffs Dept. and they......the Captain..... said it was the fair boards policy to allow concealed carry only and Sheriff Lutz misstated the boards policy, (there was more said than just this), and I spoke with their Captain, Jeff Lecocq.
We had a talk about the fair "probably" being an agricultural society and not being able to pass a law or having a rule that is stricter than state law. He said that anyone "openly carrying" would be asked to leave first.
Seems like he agreed with me about 9.68 but didn't know about the ag. society issue but gave me the fair boards ph. #. It was a polite conversation
I called the # and talked to some one that was not a board member that knew nothing about the ag. society issue at all, but took my ph.# and am expecting a call later from someone on the fair board.
I said.....POLITELY.....that this needs to be cleared up over the phone before someone openly carries and gets arrested and then follows up with a lawsuit and wins, graciously thanking her for her time.

The board pres. is Darrel Cubbison

Fair board ph.# is 740-453-3068
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
Face

Post by Face »

Like I said - I do not attend the fair, but do attend the local farmer's market as well as some misc. events throughout the year. Farmer's market is in the open as well as within one or two of the agricultural buildings.

I've never seen any postings/signs/pictographs or hieroglyphics, either t the entrance or on buildings.

I was at a farmer's market the same day as one of the gun shows ( I shy away from these jerky fests as well) and there were many firearms being openly carried :)
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I just left a message with the nice lady that answered the phone.

I told her her that I could provide her legal representative with the information they need as to why they can't restrict firearms from the fairgrounds.

Asked her if there was a chance that I could expect a call back today. She said there was a chance.

I asked her to add to the note that if I didn't hear from them today, that I would be happy to stop out in person tomorrow morning.

Anyone want to go to the fair?

:twisted:
MyWifeSaidYes
Face

Post by Face »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I just left a message with the nice lady that answered the phone.

I told her her that I could provide her legal representative with the information they need as to why they can't restrict firearms from the fairgrounds.

Asked her if there was a chance that I could expect a call back today. She said there was a chance.

I asked her to add to the note that if I didn't hear from them today, that I would be happy to stop out in person tomorrow morning.

Anyone want to go to the fair?

:twisted:
NAAH - Free Senior Citizen Day was today.

Armed Senior Citizen Day is everday
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Problem resolved.

Spoke with Sheriff Lutz (pronounced "lootz").

Prosecutor gave Sheriff proper info and Sheriff advised Fair Board that they cannot restrict concealed OR open carry from open areas of the fairgrounds.
MyWifeSaidYes
docachna

Post by docachna »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Problem resolved.

Prosecutor gave Sheriff proper info and Sheriff advised Fair Board that they cannot restrict concealed OR open carry from open areas of the fairgrounds.
Wow.

Can I get you to draft an appeal of my property tax reassessment ? They REALLY screwed me this year, and you look just the man for the job.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Told 'em the same thing.....Sheriffs dept, that is.....and the deputy who "first" answered the phone, tried to tell me I couldn't openly carry and I again explained why I could, but he wasn't having any of it and repeadedly told me I was wrong and finally put me through to the captain which then gave me the boards ph#.

.....so, MWSY, is the sheriffs dept going to bother OCers , or are they going to leave us alone now that they,(sheriffs dept.), understand the law.

I know you said ...."Problem resolved", but are you going to take a stroll anyway?
It's a two hour drive for me and if there isn't going to be any harassment or "excitement", well.....

And I wonder if the fair board will call me back as I was told they would?
Darrel
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

Once again I would like to think you guys for your time. I will probably never step foot into this fair but that I sure am glad you guys took the time to get these guys straightened out.

Once again thank you for your time :D
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:

Told 'em the same thing.....Sheriffs dept, that is.....and the deputy who "first" answered the phone, tried to tell me I couldn't openly carry and I again explained why I could, but he wasn't having any of it and repeadedly told me I was wrong and finally put me through to the captain which then gave me the boards ph#.

.....so, MWSY, is the sheriffs dept going to bother OCers , or are they going to leave us alone now that they,(sheriffs dept.), understand the law.
You definitely got the ball rolling. :D

The Sheriff apparently took the issue to the county prosecutor. It was the prosecutor that corrected the Sheriff. I don't know which one updated the fair board, but the Sheriff said the board is now aware of the law.

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:I know you said ...."Problem resolved", but are you going to take a stroll anyway?
It's a two hour drive for me and if there isn't going to be any harassment or "excitement", well.....

And I wonder if the fair board will call me back as I was told they would?
No, there should not be any excitement at the fair. Open carriers are welcome to attend.

I don't think I will be attending.

And I really doubt you'll get a call back. The board forwarded my message to the Sheriff. I never talked to anyone actually on the Fair Board.
MyWifeSaidYes
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Great....another fair board set strait AND another example of how important ORC 9.68 is.
Darrel
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:Great....another fair board set strait AND another example of how important ORC 9.68 is.
But, sometimes they backslide. I think it's because ORC 9.68 doesn't allow some political subdivision butt to be kicked when they break the law.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Brian D. wrote:
3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:Great....another fair board set strait AND another example of how important ORC 9.68 is.
But, sometimes they backslide. I think it's because ORC 9.68 doesn't allow some political subdivision butt to be kicked when they break the law.
I mentioned that very thing to the Sheriff. He said he's running unopposed for re-election so he'll be there to remind them for the next several years. :P
MyWifeSaidYes