Hisorical societies?

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Hisorical societies?

Post by NavyChief »

Asks a facebook acquaintance:
George Rogers Clark park here in Springfield is a county ran park....
But they have a huge event every year ran by the county historical society but they have a no guns policy which I thought was against the law
The park ranger says that since they rent the park and it's a private event they can make up their own rules..... I have never read that anywhere
My reply:
I think - think - they can. But lemme throw this question to a friend that is smarter than I am. I'll get back to ya'.
justashooter tends to agree with me. But he also wondered if the historical society is considered a political subdivision just as many agricultural societies are...

What sayeth the hive mind?
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Hisorical societies?

Post by Cruiser »

You may find some answers here.
http://www.ccao.org/userfiles/HBK135%204-24-14.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Can't load the file to look at it on my almost smart phone, so I'll answer based on personal experience and observation re historical societies: Many of them in Ohio are quasi governmental. Thus without benefit of public funding, even though it's often done circuitously, they would be broke and non-existent. In that regard they remind me very much of agricultural societies/fair boards.

Friend of mine goes to that event most years, ignores the signage, and carries concealed on his Ohio license. His attorney seems to believe that is okey dokey and has stated so in writing, so I am told.

If our Governor stops running for President maybe we could push him and his henchmen in the Statehouse to deal with this general subject in a worthwhile manner. I'm not holding my breath.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The OHIO Historical Society is an instrumentality of the state and serves state functions (records archives).

COUNTY Historical Societies are, unless there is an AG opinion or case law that says otherwise, private.

Here are a couple supporting statutes:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/145.015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/307.23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

For what it's worth, there is the Brewster-Sugarcreek Township Historical Society, (in Brewster, Ohio). We are planning to rent a room there to have a meeting about pushing the issue of armed faculty and I've talked to the Board President there and he said we are more than welcome to carry there while having the meeting and if someone says we can't , to let him know about it. And he will probably be at the meeting, as he is in favor of what we are trying to do to.

As a side note, the Society building is directly in front of the police station of the local police chief who is dead set against what we are trying to do.... 8) ..... :lol: !
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:For what it's worth, there is the Brewster-Sugarcreek Township Historical Society, (in Brewster, Ohio). We are planning to rent a room there to have a meeting about pushing the issue of armed faculty and I've talked to the Board President there and he said we are more than welcome to carry there while having the meeting and if someone says we can't , to let him know about it. And he will probably be at the meeting, as he is in favor of what we are trying to do to.

As a side note, the Society building is directly in front of the police station of the local police chief who is dead set against what we are trying to do.... 8) ..... :lol: !
When is the meeting?
MyWifeSaidYes
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Sorry, I haven't been on here in a while. We haven't set a meeting yet as we want to get a website up first and I'm having trouble finding the time to do that but there are about eight of us at this point, plus a deputy from that police dept that are going to an ALICE parent meeting at the grade school building to speak out against the ALICE program being all they want to do. The ALICE meeting is this wensday at 6:00pm This deputy is suing the police chief who is giving us problems and is going to speak in favor of arming staff if she can make it
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
Greenleaf4902

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

Questions;
The link to Historical society is quite obviously out of date as there is no longer a OHS. I wonder if any other facts have changed.

I operate one of the shops/museums for the Ohio History Connection and do not recall any signs. Is it taken for granted that you can carry on grounds (properties) but not inside the buildings owned by the" Connection" ?????

I believe Malabar Farm State Park is same or similar? In that one may carry on grounds but not inside the staffed buildings?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Greenleaf4902 wrote:Questions;
The link to Historical society is quite obviously out of date as there is no longer a OHS. I wonder if any other facts have changed.

I operate one of the shops/museums for the Ohio History Connection and do not recall any signs. Is it taken for granted that you can carry on grounds (properties) but not inside the buildings owned by the" Connection" ?????

I believe Malabar Farm State Park is same or similar? In that one may carry on grounds but not inside the staffed buildings?
Yes your understanding is likely correct. At least the best the collective minds of this forum can figure it, laws being needlessly wordy, yet vague at the same time as they often are.

Many hear read this from me very often but for your "benefit" will rant it from the rooftops once more: I cross a nearby border into either Kentucky or Indiana, somehow I can magically lawfully carry in many of THEIR local and state government buildings, even though neither of those states has vetted my background, like I paid Ohio to do in order to get a CHL in the first place. MAKES. ZERO. SENSE. These silly limitations imposed by Ohio are political kabuki theatre, nothing more.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.