New signage at Montgomery County Bark Park

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
macmak
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

New signage at Montgomery County Bark Park

Post by macmak »

The signs have gone up in the last week. This park has no buildings other than two shelters. The signs reference Ohio Revised Code 2923.126. I can not find anything in 2923.126 that warrants these signs. Am I missing something? Here are pics of sign and of the shelters at park.

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: New signage at Montgomery County Bark Park

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Well, IANAL, but I think the signage needs to come down.

On it's face, the sign is perfectly correct, it just does not apply to the park or it's shelters.

It looks official and would easily be interpreted as a local ban on guns. That would definitely be a violation of ORC 9.68.

I sent the county prosecutor's office an email:

-----

To whom it may concern-

It has come to my attention that the Montgomery County Bark Park, located at 6794 Webster Street, has signs posted that are not in compliance with Ohio Revised Code 9.68

I’m sure that this is an oversight on the part of the county.

Neither the park, nor it’s shelters, are protected places under 2923.126.

ORC 9.68 allows for costs and attorney fees in a lawsuit under that statute.

Please remove the signs to ensure compliance with ORC 9.68.

Thanks!

-"MWSY"

-----
MyWifeSaidYes
gmhiggins

Post by gmhiggins »

In fact, with your description, (assuming the park is indeed county owned and not privately owned), they can't even post the buildings that ARE there (the shelters).

(9) Any building that is a government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state and that is not a building that is used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and is not a courthouse or other building or structure in which a courtroom is located that is subject to division (B)(3) of this section;

The sign looks rather "official" and an email to Sheriff Plummer may even be in order. Clearly 9.68 is not understood in Montgomery County.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

More of our money misspent. Those signs look expensive.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Cruiser wrote:More of our money misspent. Those signs look expensive.

Ah don't worry Cruise, (can I call you Cruise after all these years? :mrgreen: ) the MontCoSO will just throw a few more patrol vehicles out on I-75 looking for vehicles with "hidden compartments" to pay for their mistake.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
jburtonpdx

Post by jburtonpdx »

Brian D. wrote:

Ah don't worry Cruise, (can I call you Cruise after all these years? :mrgreen: ) the MontCoSO will just throw a few more patrol vehicles out on I-75 looking for vehicles with "hidden compartments" to pay for their mistake.
and the circle is complete
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Learn to fight and practice what you learn.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Does the Board of Education own that property or the County?
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Brian D. wrote:

As long as you stay in SW Ohio! :) :wink:
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

It is a freaking dog park! :shock:
http://www.mcohio.org/services/arc/bark_park.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It does not appear to have anything to do with any school, why it is mentioned on the sign?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Cruiser wrote:It is a freaking dog park! :shock:
http://www.mcohio.org/services/arc/bark_park.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It does not appear to have anything to do with any school, why it is mentioned on the sign?
Because it looks official. How many people do you think will actually look up the code section?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

This one went to the county prosecutor's office on Monday morning :
To whom it may concern-

It has come to my attention that the Montgomery County Bark Park, located at 6794 Webster Street, has signs posted that are not in compliance with Ohio Revised Code 9.68

I’m sure that this is an oversight on the part of the county.

Neither the park, nor it’s shelters, are protected places under 2923.126.

ORC 9.68 allows for costs and attorney fees in a lawsuit under that statute.

Please remove the signs to ensure compliance with ORC 9.68.

Thanks!

-"MWSY"
And this one went to the Bark Park email address this morning:
To whom it may concern-

Can you please advise me on the rules regarding firearms at the Bark Park and other parks maintained by Montgomery county?

I prefer to openly carry my handgun in a hip holster. I was advised by an acquaintance that firearms are not allowed at the Bark Park, whether openly carried or concealed. I guess there is a sign posted there.

Since this goes against state preemption (ORC 9.68), I was hoping you could confirm for me what the rules actually are.

Thanks!

-"MWSY"
And this arrived a little while ago:
The signs have been removed. Handguns may be carried in the Bark Park and in other Montgomery County parks in compliance with state and federal law.

Animal Shelter
MyWifeSaidYes
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:The signs have been removed. Handguns may be carried in the Bark Park and in other Montgomery County parks in compliance with state and federal law.
Nicely done - very nicely done.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
medmandan

Post by medmandan »

Not to be a pessimist..but have they ACTUALLY been removed, or are they trying to placate via email and leave them up?
gmhiggins

Post by gmhiggins »

medmandan wrote:Not to be a pessimist..but have they ACTUALLY been removed, or are they trying to placate via email and leave them up?
I'm going to guess they have been removed. There has been enough notices and case law established for these places to understand that they simply cannot make up their own rules. A year ago, it was a small number of people looking and contacting about situations like this.

Today, the signs don't get to stay up very long before they are contacted multiple times by knowledgeable individuals.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Excellent!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA