Fairfield County Fairgrounds "...weapon free facility"

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
docachna

Fairfield County Fairgrounds "...weapon free facility"

Post by docachna »

Ran across a Fakebook ad today for a cruise-in at the Fairfield County Fairgrounds in Lancaster this weekend (I used to live in Lancaster). It's usually a pretty good cruise-in, if you're into that sorta thing.

Across the bottom it stated:

"THE FAIRFIELD COUNTY FAIRGROUNDS IS A DRUG, ALCOHOL AND WEAPON FREE FACILITY"

I cannot locate the thread, but I had thought this issue had been resolved with the Fair Board a number of years ago (since I'm not in OH anymore, I haven't gotten by to see any CPZ signs that might be posted). As I recall, the Fair Board had conceded that they could only prohibit carry in buildings on the property.

Anybody doing compliance that might be able to give the Fair Board a ringy-ding-ding ?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Fairfield County Fairgrounds "...weapon free facility"

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

I knw this thread was started mid. June and there have been no responses.
If i'm correct, this fair is registered with the state of Oh. , as an Agricultural Society, meaning it's a political sub-division, and can NOT have a gun law that's stricter than state law.
Problem is, most fair boards post anyway and get away with it until someone pushes the issue and carries . I suspect the fair board is posting in an attemp to intimidate those who carry, but don't know the laws, and thus won't take the chance.
Yes, you may get arrested, but you will prevail, but you still may take the ride to jail anyway.

The other possibility , is that the persons holding the cruise in , may have leased the grounds for the event and CAN legally have that policy, (which I highly doubt).
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:The other possibility , is that the persons holding the cruise in , may have leased the grounds for the event and CAN legally have that policy, (which I highly doubt).
I'm pretty sure that is the case for these types of events. They are normally put on by private organizations who lease the fairgrounds.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

JustaShooter wrote:
3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:The other possibility , is that the persons holding the cruise in , may have leased the grounds for the event and CAN legally have that policy, (which I highly doubt).
I'm pretty sure that is the case for these types of events. They are normally put on by private organizations who lease the fairgrounds.
Second thought , your probably right.
Who knows though, the fair board may be "telling" them they can't allow firearms, (like they do to fair goers during the fair), and the organization agrees to it.....just say'in....wouldn't put it past a fair board.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
docachna

Post by docachna »

Emailed the Agricultural Society, asking if they have a formal firearms policy, and if so, to send a copy.

We'll see what (if anything) we hear.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
docachna

Post by docachna »

docachna wrote:Emailed the Agricultural Society, asking if they have a formal firearms policy, and if so, to send a copy.

We'll see what (if anything) we hear.
Got tired of waiting for an e-mail response, and finally called. A very nice lady informed me in a regretful tone of voice that they had "tried to ban guns, but were told" they could not do so.

That's right. You can't. So, long story short, the bad guys who come in strapped, and who don't give a damn about your rules anyway, now have to worry about whether they're pulling a piece on the wrong walking target.

So, just in case some misguided soul tries to tell you it's contrary to law to carry at the Fairfield County Fairgrounds (as I have personally witnessed) - not so. Now, OPEN CARRY ? While I suspect it is also legal, I don't personally recommend it, primarily for strategic reasons, but that's strictly my own opinion. YMMV....

Anyway - if you're going to Lancaster for the fair - CARRY ON !!!! :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

So in over two months that Fair Board / Agricultural Society was unable (more likely unwilling) to respond to your email inquiry? Color me not surprised. Figured they'd outwait you and the whole discussion would get pushed back another year.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.