Stark County Fair

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Stark County Fair

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Update:

I am trying to get a meeting with the stark co. sheriff , stark co. prosecutor and at least one fair board member, and will be forwarding some of the info from what Jeff Smith has done down his way.

If all parties refuse to listen and this goes no where , Justashooter and his wife may have standing, as they were affected by their policy and I will try to fund a lawsuit if poss., (after the teeth to 9.68 take effect in Dec., of course), and anyone willing to help fund this would be greatly appreciated.

Lets hope this goes our way.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
Rotorflyr

Post by Rotorflyr »

Did a meeting ever occur (or is one scheduled to)?
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Rotorflyr wrote:Did a meeting ever occur (or is one scheduled to)?
No, I haven't had the time.

I had a lot going on and haven't had time to contact either the sheriff or our prosecutor, but plan on trying to set up a meeting after the 1st of Jan. when things settle down for me.

If this meeting doesn't go well and they don't want to cooperate, I may be looking for some some people who would like to attend the fair next year while OCing.

We will make sure they are registered with the state as an Agricultural Society, making them a political subdivision , meaning they are not a private entity / group as well, next yr. which I'm sure they will do.

Please keep this in mind .
Darrel
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Here's a resource - at the bottom of the last page it lists the independent County Agricultural Societies, and Stark isn't one of them

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A ... bzp7cWqE-w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, in the Ohio Supreme Court case Greene County Agricultural Society v. Liming, where, among other things, you’ll find “A county agricultural society is a political subdivision pursuant to R.C. 2744.01(F)":

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A ... bzp7cWqE-w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Further, as of 2014 they were audited by the Stark County Auditor, further establishing they are a political subdivision of the state of Ohio: https://ohioauditor.gov/AuditSearch/Rep ... -Stark.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And finally, Stark County Audited the Stark County Agricultural Society for "Agreed upon procedures" For the Years Ended November 30, 2018 and 2017 https://ohioauditor.gov/auditsearch/Rep ... -Stark.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They cannot escape the fact that a county agricultural society formed under the laws of the state of Ohio are political subdivisions.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

So according to the first link Justashooter gave , Stark is , again this year, registered with the state as an agricultural society, making them a political subdivision, meaning they are NOT a private organization.

A political subdivision IS:

https://www.encyclopedia.com/history/di ... bdivisions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Darrel
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JustaShooter wrote: They cannot escape the fact that a county agricultural society formed under the laws of the state of Ohio are political subdivisions.
Sure, they can escape all those facts for the 7-10 days they hold the fair each year. Unless they're put on notice before they post the signage. And then lawful carriers show up with video/audio running as the fair opens.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Brian D. wrote:
JustaShooter wrote: They cannot escape the fact that a county agricultural society formed under the laws of the state of Ohio are political subdivisions.
Sure, they can escape all those facts for the 7-10 days they hold the fair each year. Unless they're put on notice before they post the signage. And then lawful carriers show up with video/audio running as the fair opens.
You mean.... " ignore the law" for the 7 to 10 days of the fair :x
Darrel
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
Brian D. wrote:
That's exactly what Champaign county does. Unposted during the year, post during the fair.
docachna

Post by docachna »

qmti wrote:
3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
Brian D. wrote:

That's exactly what Champaign county does. Unposted during the year, post during the fair.
Maybe the conversations among Fair Board members of various counties pass on the successes of those counties who successfully made it through a fair without a serious challenge ? They know that OFCC and others are basically grass-roots organizations, and not in a position do anything substantial during a short annual County Fair.

Perhaps we need to identify the repeat offenders and visit those particular Fair Board meetings 4-6 months before the next County Fair, to get our position on the record -- and invite the County Prosecutor to sit in ? If our position is solid (and we obviously believe that it is), the Prosecutor will likely be concerned that the Fair Board can easily be shown to have been on notice, and still moved forward and violated the law.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/124.34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Question; by posting the fair "no guns" during fair week which does not follow the law, does the signs have force of law during that period. If you carry and the Sheriff stops you can you be arrested for that violation. I guess if you refuse to leave then the Sheriff can arrest you for another reason.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

qmti wrote:Question; by posting the fair "no guns" during fair week which does not follow the law, does the signs have force of law during that period. If you carry and the Sheriff stops you can you be arrested for that violation. I guess if you refuse to leave then the Sheriff can arrest you for another reason.
Yes you can be arrested, and we all know that.
What needs to happen is making those who brake the law , "personally" liable for doing so through legislation.and not be able to use tax dollars to pay us when they lose.

We need to compile a list of these fairboards and take them to our legislators to show them how they are giving the finger to our legislators by ignoring the law whenever they "feel" like it..
Darrel
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

qmti wrote:Question; by posting the fair "no guns" during fair week which does not follow the law, does the signs have force of law during that period. If you carry and the Sheriff stops you can you be arrested for that violation. I guess if you refuse to leave then the Sheriff can arrest you for another reason.
What other reason would that be ?

One who is carrying on the premises isn't breaking the law to begin with if the fair is reg. as an Ag. Soc. , so what crime would a deputy be arresting you for , other than trying to make something up out of thin air.

Guess you could be arrested for "resisting arrest", but I'd let them cuff me and take me to their car.
If they took the cuffs off and let me go, I'd just walk back in again.
Darrel
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

I've found a "new" issue brought to my attention by BB62.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=90943#p4395976" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The ORC was changed....at least the wording anyhow.
Darrel