Clermont County Sheriff encourages fair to **violate law**

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
BB62

Clermont County Sheriff encourages fair to **violate law**

Post by BB62 »

I was contacted today about the Clermont County Fair, and despite multiple phone calls, got nowhere with two Deputies insisting that the fairgrounds were private property.

Moments ago I sent out the following PRESS RELEASE to local media, with the subject of "Clermont County Sheriff Department encourages Clermont County Agricultural Society to **violate Ohio law** - to be CHALLENGED tomorrow @ the fairgrounds":

It is my intention to visit the Clermont County Fairgrounds tomorrow, Sunday, July 21, 2019, while legally carrying a sidearm(s).

I have been told that should I carry a firearm(s) at the fair, I would first be asked to leave, and if I refused I would be cited or arrested for criminal trespass.

BACKGROUND

This year, in violation of Ohio law, and encouraged by the Clermont County Sheriff’s Department, the Clermont County Fairgrounds have been posted with misnamed ‘no guns’ signage such as the attached picture shows. Ohio’s preemption law, ORC 9.68, does not permit political subdivisions to post such signage except on certain types of *buildings*.

Today, in multiple conversations with Clermont County Sheriff’s Deputies (Deputy Summers & Sergeant Baarlaer) I was informed that the Clermont County Fairgrounds are private property (it is not).

Although I won’t recount my conversations with both officers in their entirety, Sergeant Baarlaer informed me that the reasons the signage was posted was because over the past five years, and despite encouragement by the Sheriff’s Department (per Sergeant Baarlaer) the fair board has refused to post such signage because of “zealots”. Apparently those who demand that governmental entities/political subdivisions follow Ohio law are “zealots”.

In addition, after speaking with counsel, I was encouraged to call back and ask Deputy Summers to have Sheriff Leahy call me, because I wanted to avoid filing a Federal lawsuit for should I be cited or arrested for an LEGAL act. I did, and Deputy Summers refused, on tape, to do so.

LAW

Ohio’s preemption law, ORC 9.68, governs what political subdivisions can and cannot do regarding firearm laws, rules, regulations, etc. One thing they cannot do is to establish their own firearm laws, rules, regulations, etc.

1) The Ohio Supreme Court case Greene County Agricultural Society v. Liming makes it clear that county agricultural societies ARE political subdivisions: “A county agricultural society is a political subdivision pursuant to R.C. 2744.01(F).”

https://www.sconet.state.oh.us/rod/docs ... io-486.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2) Other relevant ORC sections are ORC 1711.13, 1711.14 & 1711.15.

It’s clear to me that the Sheriff’s Department is willing to violate the law, and indeed has encouraged the Agricultural Society to join it in doing so.

Please contact me with questions. Although I will be taping the encounter, I would be pleased to have the media do the same. (I will not be sharing my recording, however)

Thank you.

BB62
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
BriKuz

Re: Clermont County Sheriff encourages fair to **violate law

Post by BriKuz »

Makes me want to visit ohio for a day...
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Excellent work, BB! I'll be rooting for you as I prepare for the Seneca County Fair this week which wisely posts no such signage.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Be right back, I got to look at something.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

BB-62, since 2004, I've always used Clermont County for my CHL issuance. Until my last renewal in 2018, A.J. Rodenburg was the sheriff, and there was never a problem. But in 2018, this Robert S. Leahy had taken the helm. That renewal took 42 of the legally allowed 45 days. On about day 40, I called the Sheriff's Office and asked why, to no avail. Then I rung up the County Commissioners' office to inquire/complain, and also their Clerk of Courts. With that last call I made reference to filing a writt of mandumus.

That seemed to push the proper buttons, sheriff's office responded quickly.

I'm thinking Leahy is a "guns for us but not you rabble civilians" types.

While I was typing this, looks like I got a phone call/message from YOU! Can't do two things at once, hold on a sec okay? :mrgreen:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Tim Rodenberg will be sorely missed as sheriff over there. I knew him before he came to Clermont County as an assistant prosecutor and then later ran for sheriff. He was pro concealed carry. Guess we're all getting older.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
maxnobknee

Post by maxnobknee »

This has happened before and the signs were ultimately taken down:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4788&hilit=clermont ... air#p61249" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nevertheless, BB62 and I went to the Clermont County Fair today and had a discussion with a board member and a Sheriffs Deputy on-site. It was not encouraging, I don't want to steal BB62's thunder, I videotaped the discussion with the Board member, the Deputy refused to be on video. We got what we needed, BB62 will give a full update soon.
"How can you reason with someone who thinks we’re on a glidepath to a police state and yet their solution is to grant the government a monopoly on force. Insanity."

Member NRA, Miami Rifle and Pistol Club
BB62

STATUS REPORT

Post by BB62 »

First, a big "Thank you!" to maxnobknee, as always a top-notch activist/partner!

Today we spoke and listened carefully to Paul Schmid of the Fair Board and Corporal Cooper of the CCSD, with references made to the Clermont County Prosecutor.

I'll save typing the minute details, but it's apparent that there are clear issues with **arrogance, bias, incompetence, poor communication, as well as a lack of truthfulness** among one or more of the 'players'. Records requests will be produced, and if necessary, legal action will be taken.

An OC event may also be worthwhile down the road, but not in the immediate future.

if you attend the Fair, BEWARE: every Deputy I spoke with said there are to be NO GUNS at the Fair, but this is directly contradicted by the (illegal wrt guns) resolution of the Fair's Board of Directors.

Maxnobknee and I will take the steps necessary to get the signage removed and the proper parties edumacated.

In the meantime, things will generally be played close to the vest - including no sharing of today's video & audio.

Thanks for everyone's interest and contributions.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Phil1979

Post by Phil1979 »

Were you refused entry? To force their hand you could go in concealed, then switch over to open carry in a restroom stall out of sight. Then refuse to leave or disarm. That could get you arrested, but if you are sure of a win, you would have even more reason to sue them.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: STATUS REPORT

Post by Chuck »

BB62 wrote: Maxnobknee and I will take the steps necessary to get the signage removed and the proper parties edumacated.

In the meantime, things will generally be played close to the vest - including no sharing of today's video & audio.

Thanks for everyone's interest and contributions.
Thank YOU for your activism, BB62
One thing we know is you are very good at getting results.
I salute you sir
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
maxnobknee

Post by maxnobknee »

Phil1979 wrote:Were you refused entry? To force their hand you could go in concealed, then switch over to open carry in a restroom stall out of sight. Then refuse to leave or disarm. That could get you arrested, but if you are sure of a win, you would have even more reason to sue them.
Well as everyone knows there is no justice inside or outside of the courtroom....and many times the process IS the punishment. Lawyering up isn't cheap which cuts both ways. By putting them on notice and attempting to have a rational discussion 1st, you stand a better chance. We have already demonstrated to the Board Member today, that the information provided by the sheriffs department is suspect and is putting the Agricultural Society at risk for litigation. If it requires getting trespassed in order to obtain standing for a court case, that can be done at a time and place of our choosing, if dialogue doesn't work. The Board Member we spoke to seemed like a reasonable guy, the Deputy not so much. I think they are starting to get a clue that the Sheriffs department is clueless or bluffing.
"How can you reason with someone who thinks we’re on a glidepath to a police state and yet their solution is to grant the government a monopoly on force. Insanity."

Member NRA, Miami Rifle and Pistol Club
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

maxnobknee wrote: I think they are starting to get a clue that the Sheriffs department is clueless or bluffing.
Which is sad since I lived in Clermont County for 10 years and they seemed to be pro-carry. I wonder how the current guy got elected.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
maxnobknee wrote: I think they are starting to get a clue that the Sheriffs department is clueless or bluffing.
Which is sad since I lived in Clermont County for 10 years and they seemed to be pro-carry. I wonder how the current guy got elected.
Tim Rodenberg was pro-carry, though his wife was not and her law office was posted. They were both good people though. I think Tim is a couple of years younger than me, but that still puts him in retirement territory. I've sort of lost touch with the people I knew when I practiced out there and haven't kept up with the politics.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Clueless AND bluffing is also an option :P

Good work Gents :!:
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I have Wednesday off if you need me to go get arrested.

ETA: I don't bluff.
MyWifeSaidYes