My First 12 Ever Reloaded Rounds!

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

synack2

My First 12 Ever Reloaded Rounds!

Post by synack2 »

I reloaded my first 12 rounds. The are 380. I used Accurate No. 2 powder, that my father in law had from his shotgun reloading. The lees die sheet didn't have any data for Accurate No. 2 for a 100 Grain bullet, just a 95 Grain. However my father in laws Accurate reloading book from year 2000, did have data for a 100 grain plated round nose bullet.

It said to use 3.6 grains for a plated or 3.4 for FMJ. I am using plated, but backed off to 3.4 for my first time out.

I measured all the cases ahead of time and they were all well under the maximum case length, so I didn't have to trim.

The book said the maximum length was .984 inches. I measured some factory loaded rounds that function really well in my gun and they averaged out to .972 so that is what I loaded them to. A few came to .971 and a few .973. I ran them through the Factory Crimp die and I think they came out really nice.

I am going to fire them tonight. Wish me luck. I am excited.

Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
cpg
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: My First 12 Ever Reloaded Rounds!

Post by cpg »

Load data for 100 grain & #2 out of my Lee load book just for comparision. Always good to have 2 sources. Good luck!
People say firearm owners are compensating for something.
I am compensating for being smaller and weaker than most criminals.
synack2

Post by synack2 »

Well I am running a 100 Grain Plated, not Jacketed, so It says never exceed to 3.6 for a lead bullet, So I am running a plated lead bullet.... at 3.4. Do you think they will be okay, or should I back them off to 3.2?
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
synack2

Post by synack2 »

I found a Western Powders Reloading Manual online and is say:

I am running a 100 Grain Plated RN bullet, so I am thinking the need to be between 2.7 and 3.2?
cpg
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by cpg »

General consensus is that plated bullets should be loaded to lead recipies. While your 3.4 charge is probably on the hot side, and assuming the pistol is in good working order, you should be able to fire them off. Keep an eye out for flattened primers, excessive recoil, spent cases being ejected to the moon, or anything that your gun/wrists/eyes/ears tells you to stop.
I would back down a few grains for the next dozen or so that you make. I tend to start on the low side and work my way up to where I get the best consistency. There's no shame in beginning at a starting load.
People say firearm owners are compensating for something.
I am compensating for being smaller and weaker than most criminals.
synack2

Post by synack2 »

All the reloads shot fine. The seemed to have a little bit less kick that the factory loaded ammo I was shooting. They were accurate and true and they cycled great. No flattening of bulging of the primers.

I did break my gun though on round 97 of the 100 factory rounds I fired afterwards. :( That guns has run great since 2014 and today the trigger broke and just flops around. I just called and put my training on hold to reschedule till I get my gun back from Taurus.
Dave Shooter

Post by Dave Shooter »

Glad they are working for you!

"I measured all the cases ahead of time and they were all well under the maximum case length, so I didn't have to trim."

For what it's worth I have NEVER found a need to trim auto pistol cases. That's well in excess of 100k rounds.

I will sometimes trim revolver brass just to get consistent length and crimp, but haven't seen any that were too long. Rifle brass is another matter.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Like Dave, I never measure straight walled brass. I think it's necked cartridges that stretch out and need to be measured and trimmed.
Always good to have 2 sources.
Never trust a single source without confirmation. Two sources, what do you do when they disagree? Three sources minimum and then I still spend time researching.

Actually bullet profiles can affect load data, even or two identical weight bullets. Not normally an issue with .380, but more of an issue with 40S&W.

Ken
e3mrk

Post by e3mrk »

Nice Job. Now you will be like everyone else that ever shot their first reload, Gun held at arms length and nervous as all heck while working up the nerve to pull the trigger. Have fun.
The best thing I see is your using the Lee loading Manual. There are a lot of good Manuals out there but I find Lee to be the best for the beginner.
eugene

Post by eugene »

Found this after seeing your other thread. Why are you starting at the max load instead of start load?