Are Dies Compatible with Different Presses

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

synack2

Are Dies Compatible with Different Presses

Post by synack2 »

Alright,

I am a brand spanking newbie. I have had a bunch of reloading stuff in storage for years, and it's time to break it out. I needed small pistol primers and finally procured some, and I have everything else. I am going to load 380, but just found out I don't have the dies for it. My other dies sets are the Lee Precision 3 piece carbide die sets. I am having a hard time locating this set in 380 right now. I have a opportunity to buy a RCBS 3 die set for 380, but I don't know if the dies will interchange with a Lee Starter Kit or not.

My Kit is this one "https://leeprecision.com/50th-anniversa ... r-kit.html"

And the Dies I am looking at are like these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-380-ACP-A ... SweFlgU3vI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know if these dies will fit in my lee press and work or not.
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Are Dies Compatible with Different Presses

Post by Whirlwind06 »

You should be fine.
https://support.leeprecision.net/en/kno ... nd-presses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All of our presses, and just about all of our die sets, use 7/8"-14 threads, which is industry standard.

The only exception will be some large rifle calibers use our Large Series Dies that have a 1 1/4"-12 thread pattern. The only press capable of using these Large Series dies will be our Classic Cast Press. The Classic Cast Press is designed to work with both 7/8"-14 and 1 1/4"-12 thread dies, by means of a threaded adapter.
Post any questions you have on getting up and running.
Dave Shooter

Post by Dave Shooter »

Generally, any 7/8x14 dies will work in any 7/8x14 press. By the way, if you want to borrow .380 dies just let me know. You have my number.
synack2

Post by synack2 »

Hey Dave Shooter,

I am getting it all set up. I got my father in laws old reload bench put back together. I have to fix one of the drawers. I just found 1000 small pistol primers I didn't know I had. Apparently I bought them at Vances, more that 5 years ago when I packaged it all up. They are CCI Magnum 550's, will these work the same as the 500's?
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
Dave Shooter

Post by Dave Shooter »

The magnum primers give a little hotter and longer flame than standard primers. This is helpful for setting off full power .357 Magnum loads and the like. Generally, magnum primers are not needed for standard loads in things like .380. Magnum primers will work in standard loads, provided the gun will set them off (magnum primers are a little tougher than standard to deal with higher pressure loads). Note that in identical loads the magnum primer will usually yield slightly higher pressures and velocity than standard primers. Unless you are running top end loads with standard primers already it shouldn't be a large concern.

If you have no intention of ever loading something like full power .357 or .327 then you might consider trading them for standard primers.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I mostly agree with the post above.

A magnum primer will give you a hotter flame and longer burn and the cup tends to be slightly thicker to contain high pressures. There are two reasons to choose a magnum primer specifically — either you have a powder that demands it (H-110/W296) or you have a cartridge that demands it.

The second one isn’t common and I only brought it up because .327 Federal was brought in to the conversation. The .327 is a 45k PSI Max round and Federal loads this round with a small rifle primer.

There is no problem using magnum primers in ANY handgun load, any caliber and any powder. The only rule of thumb is that you should never develop a max or hot load with a regular primer and then simply stick a magnum primer in the load. That could take a known max load and send it over max.

As for dies, what you want to buy with the RCBS dies in a Lee press will work perfectly well. There are only a few instances where dies are not swappable or won’t work properly:

—.50 BMG, .338 Lapua is what is being referenced in the quoted txt from Lee. Those dies are huge (for obvious reasons) and only a press that is set up for them can use them

—the old (OLD) Lyman 310 tong tool used non-standard small dies that won’t work with modern presses

—“Lee Loader” kits (also known as “whack a mole” are not purpose built dies for use in a press

—The Dillon Square Deal and SDB presses, their lowest tier progressive press uses proprietary dies that won’t work in other presses and vice versa

—regular dies will fit in Dillon 550/650/750/1050 presses but often don’t have the length or clearance required to properly set up and use the press, Dillon dies are highly recommended here

But for the lions share of Lee, Lyman, Redding, Hornady, old Pacific and any I forgot, dies are pretty standard. With my Lee press, I use dies from ALL of these makers, and I’ve used them a lot.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!