Handloading Class

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chrisash

Handloading Class

Post by Chrisash »

Looking to start handloading. Are there any classes in the Cincinnati area? If not what is the best way to get started?
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Handloading Class

Post by WY_Not »

Head to... https://www.nrainstructors.org/search.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Select:
Pistol > NRA Basic Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course
and/or
Rifle > NRA Basic Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course
and/or
Shotgun > NRA Basic Shotgun Shell Reloading Course

Enter your ZIP code and search.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I found the Lee Reloading Book a good way to understand the whole process, as a
start.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Mr. Glock wrote:I found the Lee Reloading Book a good way to understand the whole process, as a start.
Second the Lee book.

There are many good resources online these days as well - RCBS has a video series, as does Gun Digest, Brownells and many other well-known names.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Get multiple manuals.

I have Lee, Lyman, and Speer. They all vary slightly, but with a cross section you get a lot of bullets/powders for cartridges covered.

Also print the data from the powder maker, and cross-examine all your data with the manuals and the manufacturers.

I have no problems showing people the steps on their equipment, how to set things up, do QC, etc. I am not an instructor from some organization, just someone who loves to share what I know. IANAL and all that jazz to CYA.

I will say that now is a perfect time to LEARN about reloading and what goes into it. It is a HORRIBLE time to attempt to start reloading.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
skylinechiliboi

Post by skylinechiliboi »

Thanks for these resources. I'm just starting out and these seem like a gold mine of good info.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

jeep45238 wrote:Get multiple manuals.

I have Lee, Lyman, and Speer. They all vary slightly, but with a cross section you get a lot of bullets/powders for cartridges covered.
Agreed, my first book was the Lee book and I read the instructional part completely as the first thing I did when starting out. I feel it provides an excellent foundation. The data from it, Lyman and Speer can help you find loadings for a great many cartridges, bullet weights and powders.
jeep45238 wrote:Also print the data from the powder maker, and cross-examine all your data with the manuals and the manufacturers.
After Hodgdon acquired Ramshot and Accurate, there really aren't that many other manufacturers left. They have a virtual monopoly on the market. They also own IMR and Winchester and are closely tied to Alliant as distributors. That said, Hodgdon does have an excellent web site with lots of data available.

There are many knowledgeable people here in the forum that can give advise. It's how I got started myself.