Stores that stock MAGNUM shot in NW Ohio ?

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Stores that stock MAGNUM shot in NW Ohio ?

Post by willbird »

I am way way NW...cannot get much more NW in fact :-).

Looking for a 25 lb bag of magnum shot, do not care what shot size, must be magnum shot not normal chilled shot.

If you have a partial bag around of a size you do not use or want hit me up as well.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
AlanM

Re: Stores that stock MAGNUM shot in NW Ohio ?

Post by AlanM »

I can't help you in your search but I was curious about WTH "magnum" and "chilled" shot was so I hit Google and found this:
“Chilled” vs. “Magnum” Shot
In the common trap sizes of #8s and #7-1/2s, “magnum” shot usually has 6% antimony, while “chilled” shot has about 2%. Antimony is the basic hardening alloy used in lead shot. It is more expensive than lead, so shotmakers want to economize on it when possible. That’s why “magnum” shot cost more than “chilled”. Silly names, by the way.

The larger the shot, the less antimony is needed to harden it because large shot is harder due to its form factor. That’s why you don’t need much antimony in buckshot and the like.
There's more.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

I’m going to use it as alloy for cast bullets, it is kind of expensive for bigger stuff but a bag would cast around 3200 55 grain bullets. The antimony and a trace of arsenic are needed for a bullet that can be heat treated. Some folks add a couple tablespoons to every pot just to ensure they have the arsenic needed to heat treat. Clip on wheel weights have both the antimony and the arsenic but for wee little bullets I’d like a strictly controlled alloy at least to start.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Actually, that makes a LOT of sense.
A very easy way to measure and control the amount of alloying metal in your melt.
I'm impressed.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

AlanM wrote:Actually, that makes a LOT of sense.
A very easy way to measure and control the amount of alloying metal in your melt.
I'm impressed.
Not my idea by far :-)...stole it :-). Rotometals has alloy made to spec but it is quite a bit more expensive, but they offer far more options, they sell little "slugs" of a known weight and constitution that you could add to say pure lead roof sheet to end up with some desired alloy.

Bill