Making bullets from casings

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Making bullets from casings

Post by Morne »

Saw this over on arfcom and was intrigued (fourth post from bottom of page):

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/45368 ... 3#i4445553

Anybody here ever done anything similar?
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Brian D.

Re: Making bullets from casings

Post by Brian D. »

Well, that's weird. No, closest I've done to that was using wax bullets, no powder charge, loaded into handgun cartridge empties that had been drilled out to use shotshell #209 primers. The wax bullets and modified cases used to be sold in sets, at gun shows.

Also used to make what an old reloading book I had called "gallery loads". Those used handgun cases, a small charge of powder, underneath a shotgun buck pellet of the appropriate diameter. For example I think 00 buck is about 0.32" in diameter, so you could use them in .32 caliber handgun cases. #3 buck is about .25 caliber, so you could drop a very small charge of powder into a .25 acp case underneath one of those.

But u
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

Here's a link to the requisite You Tube video on the subject.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

My post above got cut a little short, user error at the keyboard. :oops: Anyway that gave me a chance to think about the idea Morne linked to. I guess if one has lots of empties to play with, time to spare fooling around, is weird :mrgreen: like I said, and plays it VERY safe with powder charges, it's not the craziest idea ever.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Have seen a very similar article for making .223 bullets from .22LR cases and lead wire. Basically cut the wire to the appropriate length to get the bullet weight you wanted (including .22LR case weight) and carefully run it through the bullet sizer to remove the rim of the case and form the tip.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/squee ... -shortage/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I have a buddy from another forum who lives out west and put a lot of time & passion in to developing some large(ish) bore rifle handloads using slugs he crafted in part from whole, once-fired .40 S&W brass. He has posted some most excellet AAR of hunts he's done and shown terrific photos of recovered bullets taken from animals. The Winchester .40 S&W headstamp is totally visible... and very cool.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!