Pistol Powder Recommendations?

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mreising

Re: Pistol Powder Recommendations?

Post by mreising »

glocksmith wrote:Oh, I didn't realize we were talking one specific powder. Still, I'm always quick to recommend Country Attic...mainly because I want them to get as much business as possible...and stay in business. They are a true old-fashioned mom-and-pop shop...and I dread the day when I'm forced to rely on BassPro or Dicks for my reloading stuff.
Win 231 was one recommendation made to the OP, with the note that it has been in short supply lately, I only noted that the two I was looking for were not in stock on Saturday. Or was it Friday? You are correct, they are the best supplier around, and I get as much of my supplies from them as possible.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
GT350

Post by GT350 »

I use Power Pistol for 9mm and Bullseye for 45acp, both meter well with Lee Pro Auto Disc on a Lee Classic Turret Press.
stihlboy

Post by stihlboy »

evan price wrote:Titegroup & HS6 are both ball powders that meter well.
A caveat- Titegroup is probably one of the most touchy powders out there due to the high nitro content. I use a lot of Titegroup but it's not for beginners without a lot of respect paid to double or triple charge potential.
No joke only 4 grains needed for 9mm jhp, its a great powder though!
stihlboy

Post by stihlboy »

GT350 wrote:I use Power Pistol for 9mm and Bullseye for 45acp, both meter well with Lee Pro Auto Disc on a Lee Classic Turret Press.
I have 4 lbs of power pistol... takes alot of powder compared to titegroup
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

When a powder burns slower... a proper load with it is going to take more powder.

If you do all the math, however, it only ends up being a "big deal" if you wanna let it be a big deal.

7,000 grains in a pound. You can make many, MANY, MANY loaded handgun rounds with even just a single pound of powder. Higher charge weights aren't something I get too bent over. I'm buying powder 4 or 8 lbs at a time.

Bullets are expensive. The powder in most non-magnum pistol rounds costs less than the primer does in most cases. (depending on how you shop)
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!