Residue in tumbled cases

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Rami

Residue in tumbled cases

Post by Rami »

I keep getting a red residue inside tumbled cases. I use Lyman Tufnut (walnut) and just changed it out for new but I'm still getting it. I usually don't worry too much about it but have just started loading .380 and with the small cases thought it might cause a bit of a problem. I spent an hour this evening cleaning out each one with a Q-tip. Is this something I should be concerned with or just go ahead and load them after tumbling?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Residue in tumbled cases

Post by JustaShooter »

Is that a treated media? If so, it might be residue from whatever they use to treat it. Probably nothing to worry about though - if it was a problem I imagine they would have changed the media so that it wouldn't leave the residue.

I've never seen a red residue, but I've never used treated media - I buy crushed corncob and walnut from pet supply stores at much reduced prices from what you pay for "case tumbling media", and run a 50/50 mix. I used to get a bit of dust even with a cut up dryer sheet in the tumbler to try to cut down on it, but since I started adding a bit of mineral spirits to the media before I run my cases, even the dust has mostly gone away. Oh, and the cases are cleaner now too.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I've heard Tufnut leaves a red residue. My guess is it's whatever they treat that media with. Alot seem to use it once and then never again as the red dust gets everywhere and can stain clothing or carpet. It's supposedly harmless to the actual workings of the ammo, so really just an annoying nuisance.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Cloudwraith
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cloudwraith »

JediSkipdogg wrote:I've heard Tufnut leaves a red residue. My guess is it's whatever they treat that media with. Alot seem to use it once and then never again as the red dust gets everywhere and can stain clothing or carpet. It's supposedly harmless to the actual workings of the ammo, so really just an annoying nuisance.
Count me as one of these, tumbled one set of .223 with it. Never again.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
mreising

Post by mreising »

Ditto to what JediSkipdogg and Cloudwraith said. I used it once and hated the red residue. I went back to corncob media for a while but now use the Zilla Desert Blend lizard litter stuff from the pet store. Add a small amount of mineral spirits and half of a used dryer sheet help to clean the brass and capture the dirt. Tufnut has rouge polishing material in it and that is the source of the red dust.

From Lyman's Website
Q: What media do you recommend for cleaning cases?
A: Treated corncob is recommended for normal use, the Tufnut is recommended for extremely fouled cases as it is more abrasive. Please note that the Tufnut may leave a rouge residue on the cases. This will not cause any harm to the gun or cases.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
sdelam

Post by sdelam »

A dryer sheet will will help minimize the residue. I dont use it as my more either since I going lizard litter.
Rami

Post by Rami »

Thanks everyone for the great information. I guess it's off to the pet store for my next batch of media. Also good to know that the residue won't hurt the loads. I hadn't heard of using the dryer sheets for dust, good tip.

t
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

The red dust is the jeweler's rouge they treat Tuffnut with.

I find better results with Zilla walnut shells, a shot of NuFinish, and a shot of Stoddard Solvent.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

evan price wrote:I find better results with Zilla walnut shells, a shot of NuFinish, and a shot of Stoddard Solvent.
And for those keeping track, Stoddard Solvent is also known as Mineral Spirits. :wink:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
natchezz

Post by natchezz »

My friends and I really like Berry's brass polish with corn cob media. Gets brass really clean and shiny with no residue.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14549 ... olish.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Their plated bullets are great too.
Dthompson2634

Post by Dthompson2634 »

I too use the lizard bedding stuff. Where exactly do you find mineral spirits at the store lol? I can't ever seem to catch any Nu-Finish whenever I go over to Walmart.
mreising

Post by mreising »

Dthompson2634 wrote:I too use the lizard bedding stuff. Where exactly do you find mineral spirits at the store lol? I can't ever seem to catch any Nu-Finish whenever I go over to Walmart.
It is in the paint section at home improvement stores. Many paint thinners are mineral spirits, check the label, and it is also found just labeled as mineral spirits. A quart can will last you a long time, plus it is good for other purposes where you need a relatively mild organic solvent with a low volatility and a moderate flash point, although it is still ignitable. It may leave a slight oily residue but it is not significant in your cases as you only use a cap full in the tumbler.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Dthompson2634

Post by Dthompson2634 »

mreising wrote:
Dthompson2634 wrote:I too use the lizard bedding stuff. Where exactly do you find mineral spirits at the store lol? I can't ever seem to catch any Nu-Finish whenever I go over to Walmart.
It is in the paint section at home improvement stores. Many paint thinners are mineral spirits, check the label, and it is also found just labeled as mineral spirits. A quart can will last you a long time, plus it is good for other purposes where you need a relatively mild organic solvent with a low volatility and a moderate flash point, although it is still ignitable. It may leave a slight oily residue but it is not significant in your cases as you only use a cap full in the tumbler.
Awesome. We may have some of that in the shop at work. I'll have to ask.