"in theory" this works right?

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

The German

Re: "in theory" this works right?

Post by The German »

Opops... did not even know that there was something like .380 mag - just saw the ,380... :oops:
jabeatty wrote:
The German wrote:They Lee ones show available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Mag ... B000N8MUUM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
".380 Magnum" - I have to have some of that! :)

Btw, these dies are sold & shipped by Optics Planet - I'd check with them regarding availability prior to ordering.
suedenflames68

Post by suedenflames68 »

Well, I didnt want to be a liar so I figured I better update this like I said I would.
Finally got around to reloading again tonight after a bit of a break from it due to busy life/move/houses/etc.

REAL 380 dies resize the case smaller than the 223 dies did at the mouth .364 vs .367

I chambered the new test round made with 380 dies a dozen times and experienced only .002" setback. It took 25 chamberings to develop the .006" setback the .223 die made round developed after 12ish chamberings. I dont think I can assume the increased tension is solely from the smaller sized case mouth though. It is possible this is effected by variances in how the fcd was set up as these numbers are actually my 2nd 380 die made dummy round results. The first one was excesivly crimped at the suggested factory adjustment and faired poorly in the chambering/setback test as well as edge of bench push test. I do however think that I had similar crimps based on measuremnts of the two compaired rounds and believe that there must be benifit to the smaller mouth sized case.

In conclusion....I dont know :mrgreen:
I guess there is a difference but is it enough that it really matters?
Does a 3/4" lug nut care if you use a 19mm socket?
Does that nail know you just tapped it back down with a pipe wrench?

James
suedenflames68

Post by suedenflames68 »

I was looking at my old posts cause I thought I remembered this one. Thought I would resurrect this old thread as it has similar info that is applicable.
I have hornady american gunner .380 xtp 90grain factory rounds to compare to.
Using xtp 90 bullets in new starline cases. They measure .3705 diameter as they came (not resized).
After resizing they measure .365
The factory hornady ammo measured .371 on the body of the round. (Slightly larger than the new starline brass not run through my resizing die)

Made me want to test the cases hold on the bullet.
Hornady ammo measures .369 at the top of the crimp so I set my lee factory crimp die to recreate that measurement on my dummy rounds.

Pulled my dies in and out a couple times so oal length was just slightly off but close.

I got my two dummy rounds done. One as it came from starline and one ran through my hornady resizing die. I should have made a few more of each... but I didnt expect what happend.

I tried the edge of the bench test. I tried to do them as evenly as possible but of course there could have been some variance in the pressure I applied. I grabbed them at random and wasnt sure which one was which.
First two I didnt feel move, but the third one sank in and I let off....that was the factory round!

Factory starting OAL was .965 after was .898
Unresized starline start was .963 after was .926
Resized starline start was .966 after was .965

I found this rather interesting and perhaps scary. If my reloaded ammo did what the factory did I would pull em.

Anybody ever run that American gunner .380 ammo?

I think I'll make some more dummy rounds and try repeated clambering and see how they fair vs the factory stuff in real world scenario.

James
suedenflames68

Post by suedenflames68 »

Made 2 more of each and loaded the mag for my p238 with them and a factory round slingshoting the slide to cycle them through. Ran through the mag 12 times.

Hornady round shrunk .012

Unsized case rounds shrunk .013 and .014

Sized case rounds shrunk .002 and .000!

Was half tempted to use the starline brass as is eventhough I know that's not really right as it makes more attractive looking rounds. But that fleeting thought has passed after this chambering test.

James