Pet .45acp handloads

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rexles

Pet .45acp handloads

Post by rexles »

Anybody got any accurate 45 acp handloads. I shoot lead 185gr SWC and 230 gr rn jacketed and lead. I have 8lbs of Clays and like the clean burn, Plenty of Unique to and would like to not have to buy any more powder if possible. Also have Accurate #5,7,9.
Never pick a fight with an old man. If he can’t beat you he’ll just kill you!

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun....Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks. Thomas Jefferson

SHOOT SMART NW OHIO LLC NRA Certified Instructor, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home

NRA Life Member, MVGCA,Tri-State Gun Collectors, OFCC, Patriot Guard Member.
BobK

Re: Pet .45acp handloads

Post by BobK »

I've loaded a lot of AA #7, and found the recoil far snappier, the accuracy poorer, and the powder burn dirtier than Clays.

Clays is my "go-to" powder for .45 ACP.

For 200 gr LSWC, I use 4.1 grains. Published load range is 3.6 - 4.3 gr.
For 230 gr FMJ, I use 3.8 grains. Published load range is 3.7 - 4.0 gr.

I've never used Unique because it measures poorly in powder measures.

By the way, take a look at the table I published on .45 ACP powder cost per hundred rounds.

Cost/100 = $0.83 Hodgdon Clays ---> 4.3 grains; 888 fps.
Cost/100 = $2.38 Accurate No.7 ---> 11.5 grains; 1022 fps.
Last edited by BobK on Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

I don't use those powders.
230-cast lead RN, 230-Rainier plated, 230-FMJ, : Titegroup, 4.7 grains or Promo (red dot) 5.0 grains
These are right about max.
FWIW, my twopence.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I would have never figured anyone to use AA#7 in .45 loads. AA#7 is at it's best in high pressure rounds like 9, .40 and 10mm. Seems like it would be a heavy charge and an incomplete burn in something like .45. (but it meters as well as anything ever made!)

I've done a bunch of Bullseye, settled on 4.4gr pushing the standard (H&G 68) 200gr LSWC.
I've recently done a fair share of Titegroup, usually going somewhere between 5.1 and 5.4gr and the same bullet.

I'm currently experimenting with 200gr RN cast lead slugs (Dardas) and some of the funky 200gr Berry's plated SWC bullets using Titegroup.

I'm also experimenting with some old discontinued shotgun powder in .45, Winchester 473AA. The load I tried seemed quite light, but I was just under published max. (there is only one published source, as far as I've been able to find) I'm next shooting the max loads but I don't expect anything great.

Many folks do well with Unique in .45 Auto, but I'm with Bob... the combustible dirt just won't meter and won't give me the confidence to use it.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Bob, your table on .45 powders and charge weights is a really cool piece of information.
I see the top listed one is Red Dot.

Ben @ ATK says that Promo can be used with Red Dot published data (by weight) but is not the same powder. I see Powder Valley lists the same price for 8 lbs of either Promo or Red Dot.

BUT... locally, you can often find Promo in that big ugly jug for cheap dough, likely cheaper than Red Dot. I know Vance's has a couple of them for $90.
If you can meter Promo (I've never had any to try) then it may be the ultimate frugal solution for .45 Auto.

$90 plus tax out the door is pretty cheap for powder -- we are talking somewhere around twelve bucks a pound here!
Promo is only offered in the 8-pound jug, so it's not like you can take a stab at it by buying a pound and seeing how it meters.

Maybe that's a project for a HUG evening -- everyone chip in twelve bucks and everyone leaves with a pound of Promo to try and see how well their equipment can meter it. :idea:
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

.....ummm, and only now, after typing all that... did I see that Evan is using Promo! :oops:
BobK

Post by BobK »

Sevens wrote:BUT... locally, you can often find Promo in that big ugly jug for cheap dough, likely cheaper than Red Dot. I know Vance's has a couple of them for $90.
I am still working off an 8 lb jug of Clays that I paid $89.00 at Vances. 8)

I was under the impression that all the various "Dots" (red, green, blue) were large flakes that metered poorly. That is why I've never purchased any, so I do not know first hand.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

I like using 200 grain LRN with bullseye, I have some WST to break into when the Bulseye is run through. Bullseye gives a nice accurate load that is very mild in recoil in my 1911's however its dirty.
-Aaron
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

200 grain LSWC
5.4 grains W231
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
rexles

Post by rexles »

I have loaded alot of 45 loads with red dot and it is about the same size and configuration as Clays, it's just alot dirtier than clays.
Never pick a fight with an old man. If he can’t beat you he’ll just kill you!

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun....Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks. Thomas Jefferson

SHOOT SMART NW OHIO LLC NRA Certified Instructor, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home

NRA Life Member, MVGCA,Tri-State Gun Collectors, OFCC, Patriot Guard Member.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

BobK wrote:I was under the impression that all the various "Dots" (red, green, blue) were large flakes that metered poorly. That is why I've never purchased any, so I do not know first hand.
That would be quite accurate. I've got Green and Blue Dot on hand. It's been my experience that they both meter poorly from my Hornady measure, especially at light charges. However, I've had somewhat better luck metering Blue Dot when I remove the smaller "handgun" cylinder in my measure and replace it with the much larger and wider "rifle" metering cylinder... and when I'm then using a heavier charge for say, .30 Carb or 10mm.

Still doesn't meter like Titegroup or Accurate #7, but it's better than before.

Question for me is... does Promo look and meter just as badly? The Alliant tech told me:
Promo can be used in any application in which Red Dot is used, grain for grain.
...but since I've never had any of it, I've never seen it, to get a look at the flake size. It would seem to make most sense that it's similar.
While I had him on the conversation, he suggested 4.0 grains to 4.5 grains of Promo/Red Dot for use in .45 Auto with a 200gr LSWC.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Promo's just like Red Dot, without the dots. Largish flake powder, not a great meterer but no worse than Unique.
That load from Alliant is well below any published data for Red Dot.
My Speer 13 lists 5.1 grains max for a 230-grain with Red Dot.
My Speer #8 lists 5.0 as a starting load, same bullet.

My, times have changed.

I bought my Promo from Vance's when it was $79 a keg. It's now $89.

I personaly dislike Blue Dot for ANYTHING. It burns dirty, needs maxed out or a heavy crimp to burn completely, and it really isn't much good for anything but long barrels. IMHO only.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

not a great meterer but no worse than Unique.
Big red flag for me. The mere mention of that stuff makes me run in the opposite direction.

I haven't used Red Dot or Promo ever, so I can't take issue with your data (except to say that some of the older Speer guides are real hairy!) and only passing forward what Ben Amonette @ ATK said.

Blue Dot -- I want to try it in 9mm for my KT-Sub2k carbine. 16 inch barrel... that should be long enough! :twisted: Blue Dot has a pretty good following in 10mm circles.
r0005

Post by r0005 »

outdoors 4.0 clays with 200 gr swc, indoor 4.1 clays 160 gr swc
River 447

Post by River 447 »

I'm a novice reloader, so take this with a pinch of uncertainty.

I like 4.9 grains of Bullseye (MAX Load) under a 230 LRN for 25 and 50 yard practice.
Last edited by River 447 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
River 447