HELP - 40 S&W Load Data Help

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

HELP - 40 S&W Load Data Help

Post by ScottyPotty »

Im setting up to make up some .40s, but my books dont give me a OAL for the 180gn LRN bullets. Can you guys see if you have a OAL for the 180gn LRN?

thanks 8)
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader. Samuel Adams
ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ScottyPotty »

It seems I found some Internet stuff @ 1.125 - 1.130

Can anyone verify that?
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader. Samuel Adams
fisher

Post by fisher »

You will be fine with 1.130. The data I have says that generically 1.135 is the Max OAL.
"Hogden Data Manual, 26th edition."
Last edited by fisher on Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mauser

Post by mauser »

Keep in mind that 180 gr. leads in the .40 are recommended to be kept below 840 fps. Anything higher and they start to "push through" the rifling rather than engaging it. (Source: Hornady).

When you have a lead in a hot round like 40 S&W running slow, the powder will burn dirty and the lube on the bullet will smoke.

I'm not saying don't use them because they can make real cheap practice fodder but keep in mind you are going to be cleaning a lot more often and more thoroughly than you would with jacketed or plated bullets.
"a CHL license is either a "license" or a "permit," but you'd never call a CHL your "balogney pony." It's pretty far out there."
--VEX
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

Probably a good time for the caution re.: shooting lead in a Glock polygonal barrel...
Music Man

Post by Music Man »

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Try this link for winchester & hogdon powder
Beretta Nine All The Time
ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ScottyPotty »

weakhand luke wrote:Probably a good time for the caution re.: shooting lead in a Glock polygonal barrel...
Sorry I couldn't resist :lol:

weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

Was that lead, or (un)depleted uranium?

I'd consider that fair warning.
mscott

Post by mscott »

Internet rumors suck. My lead 180gr bullets are loaded to about 960 fps. Accuracy seems plenty good, so I don't know what pushing through the rifling would be. 1.13 is fine for oal. Many thousand through Glock barrels. Keep your gun clean and use sensible powders.
You can't shoot a big enough gun to miss 'em dead.

NRA Life Member
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

SAAMI Maximum Overall Length – 1.135 inches. But I would check for reliable feed from the magazine on the firearm that you have by building 10 or 15 rounds to start. I have found that it is occasionally necessary to reduce the length by 10 or 15 thousandths for some ramp/chamber configurations.
8th Law--Wisdom requires no interpretation and Truth need no translation
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

The ones I loaded were 1.125 and worked fine with lead 180gr TC projectiles IN A GLOCK 22!!!
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
mauser

Post by mauser »

mscott wrote:Internet rumors suck. My lead 180gr bullets are loaded to about 960 fps. Accuracy seems plenty good, so I don't know what pushing through the rifling would be. 1.13 is fine for oal. Many thousand through Glock barrels. Keep your gun clean and use sensible powders.
Glad your combo of gun, bullet and velocity work. The warning about keeping the 180 leads below 850 is not an internet rumor though. It is a warning note that comes in each box of 10MM lead 180's from Hornady. Only bullets I ever saw that had a warning packed within the box.
"a CHL license is either a "license" or a "permit," but you'd never call a CHL your "balogney pony." It's pretty far out there."
--VEX
Tither

Post by Tither »

Yeah I heard about that. There is another problem too. The phenomenon is called Kaboom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vceh44UK-8I

And sometimes just KB
# Why do kB!s occur in these Glock models?
Reports compiled by Speir from various independent laboratories are inconclusive as to one single cause for the catastrophic failures.

There do, however, appear to be several contributing factors which collectively may induce catastrophic case failures:

* Firing out of battery. Most Glocks will do this to some degree, especially those improperly maintained.
* Significantly overpressure rounds. These occur mostly in homemade reloads or in commercially remanufactured ammunition, but have occurred in factory ammunition as well.

Lack of full case support in the critical area over the feed ramp of all large caliber (.40 S&W, 10mm, .45 ACP) Glock pistols. [See Annotation #5]
Look it up on Google. Kaboom Glock

But I heard it was with all 180 gr bullets.
Don't blame me, I voted for McCain
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel." -- Patrick Henry
יזכר לא עד פעם