Shotgun Reloader...Open for suggestions

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

cgs500

Shotgun Reloader...Open for suggestions

Post by cgs500 »

I have been reloading shotgun shells for 12ga since '90 on a Lee load all. It has become a pain to keep it shimmed (loose from wear) and I would like something a little faster. I don't need a progressive machine just something built better and more durable than the load all.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
shooterwolf

Post by shooterwolf »

I like Mec. presses for shotgun reloading. Their single stage works great and I don't think you can wear it out ( all metal construction).
If you load a lot their progressive is sweet, 300 + rounds per hour.

Shooterwolf.
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

"just something built better and more durable than the load all"

So, how many rounds in 18 years have you loaded on this flimsy piece of work? I can't believe that Lee has the nerve to sell these things for $29.95!
TBD

Post by TBD »

Call Lee, they may fix it or replace it for minimal cost.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..."
-- Richard Henry Lee, 1787
cgs500

Post by cgs500 »

weakhand luke Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:59 pm

"just something built better and more durable than the load all"

So, how many rounds in 18 years have you loaded on this flimsy piece of work? I can't believe that Lee has the nerve to sell these things for $29.95!

Not as many as some people with real loaders, somewhere in the 2500 range give or take a few. I did have to make an aluminum fitting for the center support at the base but even that is working loose around the plastic. I used to just shoot (real pigeons) at my dads and bats around my neighbors house. I want to shoot some trap with a thrower I picked up and figure I don't want to spend all day loading up a 100 rds.

MEC looks like a descent product, anyone have one they want to "unload"? :wink:
italian biker

Post by italian biker »

Lee products are what they are. Lower cost entry level equipment to get people into the hobby. In that aspect, Lee is decent equipment for the price. I've read Richard Lee's book, and granted almost every page has at least one sentance plugging Lee Precision products, but it's still an informative book, and he wrote it, so he has the right plug his products. I understand his "low cost" philosophy. I have his Anniversary Press kit and had good groups with my .357 reloads. I've never used the Lee shotgun Load All, but I'd say that 2500 or so reloaded shotgun shells is a pretty good turn-around on a $30.00 press.
PETA members know it's safer to harass old ladies wearing fur then to harass bikers wearing leather.
cgs500

Post by cgs500 »

I was looking at the reviews for the Load All on Midways site and some reviews say they have loaded 10,000 rds without a sign of wear. I find it hard to believe.

Anyway I found a MEC 650 along with a sizer and other supplies from deano40(ofcc member), I'm looking forward to getting it set up in a few weeks. It is a little more press than I need but it was a fair deal for both of us and I didn't have to support e-bay!!!