Lookin' for lead...

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Birdman

Lookin' for lead...

Post by Birdman »

Ok, time to buy more bullets. Anybody know of better deals?
This is what I found on 12/23/07:
40cal, per 1000
Total, including lead surcharge (if charged), and shipping to NE Ohio (if charged)

Rainier plated 165gr FP
1) MidwayUSA $102.03
2) Natchez $111.07
3) Cabela's $116.93

Berry's plated 165gr FP (direct from Berry's)
$99.89
Berry's plated 180gr FP DS (direct from Berry's)
$105.09
Precision Molly185gr (direct from Precision)
$90.00
My XD's shoot the Berry's and the Precision Molys just fine. I have not tried the Rainier bullets.
Last edited by Birdman on Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
sbc350gearhead

Post by sbc350gearhead »

We need a group bullet buy.
dan dan the XD40 man

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

I'm down for a group buy.

especially:

.44 mag
.223/5.56
7.62x39
Poop!
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

talk to shooterwolf. He's got a buddy that's casting bullets for cheap.

I have a sample, but have been working the last three weeks straight. So, I haven't had time to try them out.

Maybe tomorrow...
"Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

I need .357's, .45acp's, and 9mm's.. have to wait for pretty soon after the holidays when I have some ca$h.

I also need powder and primers... same story.

I was thinking group buy on primers & powder to consolidate HAZMAT and Shipping but not very many people in central Ohio were interested.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
dan dan the XD40 man

evan price wrote:I need .357's, .45acp's, and 9mm's.. have to wait for pretty soon after the holidays when I have some ca$h.

I also need powder and primers... same story.

I was thinking group buy on primers & powder to consolidate HAZMAT and Shipping but not very many people in central Ohio were interested.
I just bought an old Pacific press with the intention of reloading some 44 mag rounds for my Deagle. I have the dies that go with them but now realize how much other stuff I need, and wonder if I'll ever reach a payoff point if I start doing this.
Poop!
sbc350gearhead

Post by sbc350gearhead »

musicman told me that he was going to get a price list from rainier for a direct buy.
Music Man

Post by Music Man »

I have a price list coming from Rainier. I have to check my work email Monday (don't have to work, jus going in to check for that). They have to del. to a commercial address because of the weight etc. Got that part covered.

They have a minimum buy of 35K. When I post the price, I will divide the frieght by 35 and add it to the cost of each 1000 bullets. I think that's the only fair way to spread the cost without going to all the trouble to do it by weight of each caliber etc. I will post prices as soon a s I get them.

I don't know how hard ot will be to get 35K from OFCC members (or posters) so I was going to open it up to members of the Fish & Game Club I belong to also. There is about 4000 members so I'm hoping to be able to pull it off. I will only go there after getting a number here first.

PM me with any questions and in the meantime checkout http://www.rainierballistics.com/mainframe.htm it shows all of Rainiers Bulletts
Beretta Nine All The Time
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

dan dan the XD40 man wrote: I just bought an old Pacific press with the intention of reloading some 44 mag rounds for my Deagle. I have the dies that go with them but now realize how much other stuff I need, and wonder if I'll ever reach a payoff point if I start doing this.

As far as "other stuff" there isn't much you need.
A good powder scale to check your loads (eBay for cheap).
Some reloading trays to set your cases in (ditto eBay). Or drill holes in some free pieces of wood.
Hand primer (Did I mention eBay?)
Assuming your dies are carbide you are set. If not, you need a lube pad and/or case lube and something to put the cases on (like a cookie sheet. Cheap at the store)
Got a powder measure? (Yup... eBay)

Dan, I reload my own .44mags also (just happen to have a lot of bullets now).

Figure factory .44 magnum ammo is around $25 a box. You might get it cheaper but I have seen it for $29.99 a box commonly, too, and higher than that at the range.

I can do .44 mag, 240-grain lead semi-wadcutters, with 9.7 grains of Titegroup and a Winchester large pistol primer in range brass, for right around 5.5 cents for the bullet, 2.6 cents for the primer, and 2 cents for the powder. That's 10.1 cents per round. $5.05 a box.

At that rate, I am saving minimum $20 (more like $25) for every box I reload and that includes buying the components. I loaded 6 boxes of .44 mags Thanksgiving.
A new Lee Pro-1000 progressive press setup for .44 mag costs $130 new. 6 boxes of .44 magnums would pay for a new press setup.

Believe me if you like to shoot, this is a great way to stretch your ammo budget. If you buy your components in bulk, like by the 5K quantity, you can save more money (maybe ten percent) off of those prices. Or cast your own boolitts.
I know guys who cast and are loading .44's for like 5 cents each. It's just labor intensive.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Jerry Morris

Post by Jerry Morris »

dan dan the XD40 man wrote:
I just bought an old Pacific press with the intention of reloading some 44 mag rounds for my Deagle. I have the dies that go with them but now realize how much other stuff I need, and wonder if I'll ever reach a payoff point if I start doing this.
You will, if you do it right. But, many of us just shoot more often. If you excuse the "excess shooting" it is still a money saver.

I reload for the pleasure of it and to get abilities commercial products do not offer.

Jerry
shooterwolf

Post by shooterwolf »

ArcherAce wrote:talk to shooterwolf. He's got a buddy that's casting bullets for cheap..

Here is a look at my friends bullet offerings and prices,

caliber grain per 500 per 1000

9mm 148 rn 22.00 42.00
40 168 tc 22.00 42.00
45 200 swc 26.00 50.00
45 200 rn 26.00 50.00
45 230 rn 28.00 54.00

These are hard cast bullets and he says satisfaction guaranteed.

I've just started working up loads with these bullets, I do like them so far.
P.M. if you want more info on these bullets

Shooterwolf.
shooterwolf

Post by shooterwolf »

Dan,

Don't forget a good pair of digital calipers.
I'm loading 45 for $4.50 / 50, after the intial set up you will either save money or shoot a whole lot more.

Shooterwolf
techres

Post by techres »

You guys using one, two or four bullet molds?
The last to wake up will be the first to go back to sleep...

NRA Member
Appleseed Rifleman & Instructor
Husband & Father of Three
dan dan the XD40 man

Thanks for the reloading info fellas. I might put my pacific up for sale and get one of thos progressive presses. They sure seem to make life a bit easier.
Poop!
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Reloading will have a HUGE payback, there have been times in our history where you could not buy ammo at any cost(mostly during wartime shortages), and I think those times may come again, those of us who reload and have a stash of powder and primers will always have ammo.

say 2500 each of large and small rifle and pistol primers plus some 209's, and several 8 lb jugs of powder will load every rifle and pistol you have, in some cases 5000 rounds for one if need be (using small pistol in rifles or small rifle in pistols in some cases if need be). With some brass shells in each shotgun caliber the large pistol primers can be used there in place of 209's which are more expensive, and less versatile. You can make your own shot, buskshot, and slugs if you NEEDED to.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).