Broke My Taurus after Firing Reloads

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

synack2

Broke My Taurus after Firing Reloads

Post by synack2 »

A while back I loaded my first 12 rounds for my 380. There was some discussion because my book showed the maximum at 3.6 grains, I loaded them to 3.4 grains, but someone else's information said 3.2 grains was the maximum. I fired all 12 of them and the seemed to be less hot than the factory loaded Remington ammo. Well 97 rounds of factory ammo latter and the gun broke and quit working. I just heard from Taurus and the frame is cracked. They have to send me a new gun with another serial number to my FFL.

Now I am just worried that those rounds may have done the damage to it, or maybe it was just time for that gun to break. I have fired 1000's and 1000's of rounds through it since I got it in 2013. I have some more I loaded to 3.3 and 3.2 grains. Now I am a little gun shy about firing them.

What do ya'll think? Should I try them or get the bullet puller out and take them down a few 10ths of a grain.
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Broke My Taurus after Firing Reloads

Post by WY_Not »

Check a few other current loading manuals and see what the consensus is.

What version of what manual were you using vs what version of what manual was the other manual?

What bullet and powder were you loading?
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
e3mrk

Post by e3mrk »

Unless you are making super hot Bullets I would tend to think the Frame already had a problem and it just decided to show itself when you were shooting.
Taurus firearms seem to be hot or miss when it comes to quality.
eugene

Post by eugene »

synack2 wrote:A while back I loaded my first 12 rounds for my 380. There was some discussion because my book showed the maximum at 3.6 grains, I loaded them to 3.4 grains, but someone else's information said 3.2 grains was the maximum. I fired all 12 of them and the seemed to be less hot than the factory loaded Remington ammo. Well 97 rounds of factory ammo latter and the gun broke and quit working. I just heard from Taurus and the frame is cracked. They have to send me a new gun with another serial number to my FFL.

Now I am just worried that those rounds may have done the damage to it, or maybe it was just time for that gun to break. I have fired 1000's and 1000's of rounds through it since I got it in 2013. I have some more I loaded to 3.3 and 3.2 grains. Now I am a little gun shy about firing them.

What do ya'll think? Should I try them or get the bullet puller out and take them down a few 10ths of a grain.
You don't start at max or a little below max, you start with the minimum. What did your load data say was the min?
Rockhanger

Post by Rockhanger »

I had a taurus revolver break after 40 rnds .
The transfer bar broke