Open Carry Dude at BGSU charged with Inciting Panic

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Star56

Open Carry Dude at BGSU charged with Inciting Panic

Post by Star56 »

Today. I expect charges to be dropped this week.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Open Carry Dude at BGSU charged with Inciting Panic

Post by kcclark »

I saw that too. Looks like BGSU thinks they can ban anyone with a gun from campus. From our gun walks at OSU, my memory is they can only enforce that against people with ties to the university. Everything I've read is this guy has no ties. That said, I can find nothing about what firearm he had or how he was carrying.
"no person shall possess, store or use a firearm, deadly weapon or dangerous ordinance as defined in the Ohio Revised Code, in and/or on university owned, rented and/or sponsored property except where specifically permitted."
https://www.wtol.com/article/news/crime ... a96fbc2f07
Star56

Post by Star56 »

There was an open carry march through the BGSU campus about 2-3 years ago without incident.

According to a few sources at U he had a flag and his gun over his shoulder. The inciting panic nonsense is an old trick LE would try a decade or more a ago. Courts have pretty much said if its legal it cannot incite panic.

We will see.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I couldn't get the information out of the news source as to where he was walking; on the public sidewalk or through campus. Of course, the news wouldn't have any reason to specify that, just that a man with a gun was walking and students were scared. :shock:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

If he'd given the local and college police notice like BB62 did, unlikely he'd have gotten arrested. Of course he shouldn't have been anyhow, the way this reads. Also, they're less likely to monkey with a group of open carriers too. Five or ten arrestees can afford to file a really big lawsuit. With a hundred, you can sometimes get the police to stop traffic and such as needed.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

kcclark wrote:I saw that too. Looks like BGSU thinks they can ban anyone with a gun from campus. From our gun walks at OSU, my memory is they can only enforce that against people with ties to the university. Everything I've read is this guy has no ties. That said, I can find nothing about what firearm he had or how he was carrying.
"no person shall possess, store or use a firearm, deadly weapon or dangerous ordinance as defined in the Ohio Revised Code, in and/or on university owned, rented and/or sponsored property except where specifically permitted."
https://www.wtol.com/article/news/crime ... a96fbc2f07

That's BGSU policy.... violating policy is not a crime... which is why they used the old "oh open carry, charge 'em with inducing panic" trick. IIRC, the ORC says you can't carry in university buildings.... open carry on the grounds is perfectly legal. At least that's my recollection.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I was visiting a friend a few country blocks away from an OSU campus. Surprised to see the traditional circle-slash ''no guns'' signs on the edge of the OSU property, covering the vast field of... 8) weeds and small brush hoggable sized trees.

Is this legit?
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WhyNot wrote:I was visiting a friend a few country blocks away from an OSU campus. Surprised to see the traditional circle-slash ''no guns'' signs on the edge of the OSU property, covering the vast field of... 8) weeds and small brush hoggable sized trees.

Is this legit?
Unfortunately, it is - you cannot legally carry concealed handguns onto OSU or other college/university property, unless they specifically allow it. Open carry, however, is perfectly legal on the grounds of any public property, and as a state university OSU's grounds are public property.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

you cannot legally carry concealed handguns onto OSU or other college/university property, unless they specifically allow it. Open carry, however, is perfectly legal...
Ooops, and the topic dejoiur is, out a-walking around. As is, outside a vehicle

I M referencing driving onto the OSU campus, securing my CHL permitted pistol in my vehicle in XYZ fashion and entering a building

I thought that was legit; therefore, the signs posted as an all-encompassing ''ban'' would be NOT legit
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

WhyNot wrote:
you cannot legally carry concealed handguns onto OSU or other college/university property, unless they specifically allow it. Open carry, however, is perfectly legal...
Ooops, and the topic dejoiur is, out a-walking around. As is, outside a vehicle

I M referencing driving onto the OSU campus, securing my CHL permitted pistol in my vehicle in XYZ fashion and entering a building

I thought that was legit; therefore, the signs posted as an all-encompassing ''ban'' would be NOT legit
Yes, you can possess your handgun in your vehicle as long as the gun doesn't leave the vehicle, you lock the vehicle when you leave it, etc. OSU even revised policy to make this clear after the whole Students for Concealed Carry law suit thing.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

OK thnx!
So..basically..the signs are NOT LEGIT as they state ''nothing beyond this point'' or verbage like that.

Next time I go to visit I will take pictures.

Early into next month is soonest

FYI one & all, Lima OSU campus
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hope BGSU dude is cleared, and, the NEWZ MEDIA clears him as well. Mimes, mocking birds, parrots that they are
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WhyNot wrote:OK thnx!
So..basically..the signs are NOT LEGIT as they state ''nothing beyond this point'' or verbage like that.
No, the signs are legit, but there is a specific exception in the law for those with a CHL who are storing or transporting their handgun in a locked vehicle. If you exit the vehicle with a concealed handgun and are not immediately in the process of locking the handgun in the trunk, you are in violation of the law.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Some 'crazy' :shock: OCers were on campus yesterday: http://bgindependentmedia.org/rogers-re ... strations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Twitter/Facebook/comment reactions to their presence has been a combination of strong, varied, and uninformed.

Sending mixed messages and putting out inaccurate or incomplete suppositions/information seems to be a specialty of BGSU - stir into that brew the narrative engineer's (which some people inaccurately call 'journalists') version of events and one doesn't know up from down.

I've received a copy of the police report, and have requested additional information as it becomes available - but I don't know how to post such things here. Help would be appreciated in that vein.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

If you have a printer that can scan, you could get a pdf on this webpage. I think.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

BB62 wrote:Some 'crazy' :shock: OCers were on campus yesterday: http://bgindependentmedia.org/rogers-re ... strations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here is the pull quote IMO:
“While Ohio may be an open carry state, and it may be legal, this doesn’t mean that we need to standby and say nothing. Lest we forget, slavery and apartheid were legal as was/is state sanctioned violence. We will not stay silent. These laws are unjust and threaten our psychological and physical safety.”
Nice of BRAVE group to bring up people who were not allowed to defend themselves with firearms.