What is your holster of choice for Open Carry?

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ohiodff

What is your holster of choice for Open Carry?

Post by ohiodff »

Having just seen my LCCH suspended (instructor was on expired credentials, in process of resolving) I'm sitting here realizing the only OWB holsters I have are suitable for range use but do not meet (my) standards for open carry. They aren't secure enough, or have positive retention, or my favorite holster's positive retention is on the outside of the holster and far too accessible to the general public for my liking.

Were I to actually open carry I would want something that's got positive retention on the inside of the holster and that holds very securely to the belt. What does everyone use for such cases?

Side question - is there a legal definition of "concealed" readily availble? It's not defined in 2923.12, 2923.16, or 2923.126. Is carrying in an IWB but with the grip visible considered concealed?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: What is your holster of choice for Open Carry?

Post by JustaShooter »

Regarding the question of concealment, the Ohio Supreme Court held in State v. Pettit that:
a recognized test is that a weapon is concealed if it is so situated as not to be discernible by ordinary observation by those near enough to see it if it were not concealed, who would come into contact with the possessor in the usual associations of life; but that absolute invisibility is not required, since ordinary observation does not extend to a search unusually careful, thorough or detailed, made because of suspicion that contraband which is not visible by ordinary observation may in actuality be present. Shipley v. State, 243 Md. 262, 220 A.2d 585.
Based on that, I would not consider a handgun in an IWB holster to be considered concealed. But, I am not a lawyer, etc.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

I'm a fan of the Orpaz Level 2 thumb break holster.. as seen on Amazon.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
rottman43055

Post by rottman43055 »

I know it's not as fast on the draw, but lately I have been really enjoying a verticle shoulder holster.

All day comfort, gun would be harder for someone to try to take and leaves my waist area for my knives etc.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson