Open carry question

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

747tech

Open carry question

Post by 747tech »

Saw a fellow open carrying today and wondered what everyone’s experience with the public was in regards to open carrying. I have a chl so I’m just curious.
Former Navy and ANG
CCW holder/Instructor
NRA Basic pistol instructor
Range Safety Officer
Personal Protection inside and outside the home instructor
Advanced pistol instructor
Defensive pistol instructor
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Open carry question

Post by JustaShooter »

I open carry frequently - generally, whenever I'm not wearing a jacket or coat. My experience with the public has generally been neutral - most people simply don't notice or give any indication they noticed at least.

Actual interactions have largely been positive, usually people are curios if it is legal, if I have to have a license, that kid of thing. I've also had a number of people thank me for carrying.

On the negative side, I haven't had any mommies grab up their children and run screaming or anything like that, but I have had a person filling up their car with fuel at the pump across from me make a negative comment, and I've had the Stark County Sheriff called on me while at the Stark County Fair a few years back. There's a thead about that one on here somewhere... lol
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Since my move to Virginia,, in 2011, I've been open carrying nearly all the time.
I had one lady, while having dinner in Red Lobster, say she felt safer with me carrying than otherwise.
I've had one or two other gun people ask about my carry gun and had positive conversations with them but mostly no one notices or doesn't visibly react.
I carry in a black leather paddle holster on my right hip.
I cover up when asked by my doctor and apartment house manager because they're concerned that it will upset the older people. My doctor and all his staff really don't react.

I've had one negative comment, that was in a Kroger. A man came up to me and said, "My grandmother saw your gun and was afraid."
That was during graduation week at UVA in 2015 and I suspect he and his grandmother were from out of town.
There's a lot more to that story, he reported me to the Kroger manager. I'll start a separate thread if anyone is interested.

Prior to 2011 I used to open carry all over the Stow area with no problems.
One man, while I was in line to buy lottery tickets, said to me, "Your hog leg is showing." (referring to my 1911).
I just said, "Open carry is perfectly legal in Ohio." and nothing more was said. Others in line didn't seem to react one way or the other.

I did have some problems with the manager at my local Walmart in Ohio. There's a thread about that on here somewhere. A few calls to Walmart corporate ended that and the manager in question started avoiding me.
His replacement and the loss prevention person both were well aware of me and left me alone.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Alan, we're always open to hearing a good story! :)
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

The more people look at their idjit boxes (cellphones) the less they notice an open carrier. Yesterday I saw a woman so distracted by her phone, that she walked right into a parked vehicle. Not a little Fiat either, a bright red Ford F-150 four door!
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
747tech

Post by 747tech »

Thanks for the input. With summer coming I was considering going that route.
Former Navy and ANG
CCW holder/Instructor
NRA Basic pistol instructor
Range Safety Officer
Personal Protection inside and outside the home instructor
Advanced pistol instructor
Defensive pistol instructor
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Javelin Man wrote:Alan, we're always open to hearing a good story! :)
I actually spent nearly an hour writing up that story as a post to this thread.
When I hit "submit" I got the forum login screen (apparently I'm not allowed to stay logged in for extended periods) and my entire post disappeared into the bit bucket.
Needless to say, I AM NOT HAPPY. (or any of the other six).

I'll write up the story again offline when I calm down and post it then.
I'm afraid it's quite verbose with a lot of side tracks.
AlanM
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

The first time we saw someone open carry was at the local Dairy Queen. This was a before we got our CHLs.

Our first reaction was "what's going on?" and we checked the parking lot for a DNR Wildlife Officer truck.

He was at the counter and none of the staff seemed concerned. I explained to my wife that open carry was legal.

I have not open carried inside businesses, but have done so when I won't be going inside. I have open carried in front of an OSHP Trooper and did not notify, nothing was said (we had a tire blow out on the camper and I was already out of the truck when she pulled up.)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

AlanM wrote:
When I hit "submit" I got the forum login screen (apparently I'm not allowed to stay logged in for extended periods) and my entire post disappeared into the bit bucket.
Yeah, the board kicked me off at one point this morning during the making of a post. It happens sometimes.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:
AlanM wrote:
Yeah, the board kicked me off at one point this morning during the making of a post. It happens sometimes.
If you don't check the "keep me logged in" box and take too long to write the post, it will drop you unceremoniously.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

JustaShooter wrote:If you don't check the "keep me logged in" box and take too long to write the post, it will drop you unceremoniously.
And where would that box be?
AlanM
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

AlanM wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:If you don't check the "keep me logged in" box and take too long to write the post, it will drop you unceremoniously.
On the screen when you log in.
NRA Life Member

AlanM

Post by AlanM »

JustaShooter wrote:
AlanM wrote:
Not on my login screen.
Want the screen capture?
AlanM
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

AlanM wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
AlanM wrote:And where would that box be?
Not on my login screen.
Want the screen capture?
Sure.
NRA Life Member

3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

I'm sure all those on this board who OC will say they never really have any problems doing so, but there are a very small number who have had bad experiences.

I've had only one really bad experience where the officer wanted to arrest me , over two different issues, (Stark county deputy), but it was because he didn't know the laws regarding OC.

But all other interactions I've had were fine, and some (officers), have even said they liked the fact that the public was carrying, (not all LE are against us carrying as some think).

If you choose to do so, feel free let us know how it goes after you do it for awhile.
It may encurage others to do so .

It can lead to good conversations and a good chance to educate the public and make the public more aware that people DO carry.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".