Open Carry at Home

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

pirateguy191

Re: Open Carry at Home

Post by pirateguy191 »

Cloudwraith wrote:I carry at home simply because I'm used to carrying all day everywhere I go. I'm lucky enough to be able to carry at work and usually only visit carry friendly establishments. When I get home, I just leave it in place until I go to bed. Then it goes on my nightstand. As mentioned above, a side benefit is that it is always under my control and I don't have to worry about my children (although they are trained well) or their friends (who may not be so trained) getting their hands on it. The downside (upside?) to this, is that I usually am not walking around in the house (or yard) in shorts or beltless attire.

^^^^ This.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

This may seem backwards, but I carry at home because that is where I am most vulnerable...or at least where I feel most vulnerable. Walking down a dark alley, or an empty parking lot at night I am hyper alert and on the lookout for trouble. At home OTOH you're completely vulnerable...laying on the couch all relaxed, remote in hand...not expecting the door to fly open or a window to shatter. BUT once it happens to you, then you'll know where I'm coming from.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Just one example of how quickly things can happen, even at home. From the time she heard the noise to the time she saw him was less than three seconds. Even if everything is locked up, it only might buy you a few extra seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlED9g7O_aU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
someguy

Post by someguy »

This thread reminds me of my favorite statistic that I made up for people that say they only carry "if they are going to a bad area" but not at home. 100% of home invasions happen at home!
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

I aspire to carry on my person 100% of the time(where allowed by law, circumstances, etc), since we don't get to pick when/where a situation could occur and someone may need shot.
Whether or not it's open/concealed depends on what I'm wearing at the time and what holster I'm employing.
On my own property(rural), especially within the house I don't give much thought to what anyone thinks. I may or may not open the door at an angle that doesn't reveal if I was open carrying.
As already stated, a recording device can help shed light on a he said/she said situation.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

Another question you may want to consider is the policy of the apt complex. Even if you do not walk into common areas while armed, mngmt may make things difficult for you.
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

MacDonald wrote:Another question you may want to consider is the policy of the apt complex. Even if you do not walk into common areas while armed, mngmt may make things difficult for you.
How?
MyWifeSaidYes
welshj

Post by welshj »

it's already been said- But the first general rule of concealed carry? If you're gonna carry, ALWAYS carry.

I live in the "country" if someone pulls in my drive- I hear it.

That said... if I get up from the chair in my underwear, I've got my holstered weapon in hand.
I'm cooking dinner? it's on the counter next to me.
I'm in the bathtub? It's right next to the tub on the toilet lid.
In bed sleeping? on the headboard in reach.

My wife asked me lately "what I was so paranoid about?"

A few years back, before we moved here- Almost every home on my rural road was broken into.
My neighbors four houses down were home at the time it happened.

I replied to the wife's question that I was not paranoid. I showed her several videos of home intrusions caught on tape.
Showed her videos of people answering knocks on doors, where they were kicked in and invaded.

I then had her time the seconds it took to gain entry.
And then, again, had her time how long it took me to run to my recliner and retrieve my gun from the end table and react.

She no longer thinks I'm paranoid.

The entire purpose of a carried firearm is defense.
Period.

Carrying openly with the idea of... "warning off" an intrusion is a very flawed idea in my opinion.
It gives a false sense of ability? to me.
Spend some time with drawing practice. Especially using a cleared, empty weapon for awhile.

Don't count on an impression or an idea. Don't guess what someone else is thinking.
Depend on the knowledge of your abilities with it. In your practice with it.

I carry in my underwear at home watching TV on a Monday night... But I know what I can do with my gun, and I can only do it- if I have my gun! :shock:
Six months in Bosnian conflict in '98.
Two tours in Iraq '03-'04 & '05-'06
Currently deploying daily to toledo, oh! :)
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

welshj wrote: That said... if I get up from the chair in my underwear, I've got my holstered weapon in hand.
! :shock:
That just ain't right! :shock: :oops:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Javelin Man wrote:
welshj wrote: That said... if I get up from the chair in my underwear, I've got my holstered weapon in hand.
The sight of another man in his underwear is enough to send me running the other direction...forget about the handgun :shock:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

glocksmith wrote:
Javelin Man wrote:
The sight of another man in his underwear is enough to send me running the other direction...forget about the handgun :shock:
It is the eyes, focus on the eyes! :roll:
Abandon ye all HOPE!
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

I have always been of the opinion that 'open carrying' gives up one important defensive advantage of 'concealed carry':
surprise !!
Notasmiff

Post by Notasmiff »

I don't carry at home much, but I have quick access to a loaded gun pretty much anywhere in the house/garage. i have no kids here so that's not a cencern and my wife knows how to shoot well.
My mossy 12ga is outside the bedroom door w/a tach light ready to go w/#2 shot for that poor moron who needs a light to find his way to the Devil :wink:

Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

glocksmith wrote:
Javelin Man wrote:
This is my rifle - this is my gun.. :lol:
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Put some pants on man! :)
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY