Open carry is bad

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Open carry is bad

Post by troy bilt »

So I just cam across this gem at Bearing Arms .com. Just wanted to pass it on and see what you guys thought about it.

http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/10/12 ... amendment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Open carry is bad

Post by JustaShooter »

Pretty much the same stuff we always hear from the "CC is the only true way" evangelists. Long on hyperbole, short on facts or evidence. I found it quite funny that he denigrates open carriers for the exact same stuff concealed carriers do (or don't do, as the case may be).
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

He's a troll. Not worth discussing.

From his very own FB page, in regards to that very story:
What fun is having a bear in the zoo if you can't poke it?
:?
MyWifeSaidYes
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

I'm a concealed carrier. I OC only rarely (though I did so this week while installing a Trump for president 4x8' roadside sign). That said, I disagree with a decent chunk of the author's points (but not all):

1 - OC and CC are NOT mutually exclusive. Just because you OC a duty size gun doesn't mean you can't conceal a BUG somewhere else (preferably somewhere easy for your weak hand to draw it). The author acts as if OC'ing means you'll get disarmed and left defenseless the first time you fail to 360-scan for threats and that's just not true.

2 - While CC'ing may be tactically superior in an urban/suburban environment it is no guarantee that the BG won't notice it. Likewise, just because you OC is no guarantee that they will notice it. Had dinner with Chuck and Aaron recently - I doubt our waitress ever saw his OC'ed gun.

3 - His point about gun grabs only failing due to the BG's "ineptitude" is germane. Thing is, criminals have "ineptitude" in spades. I have friends who are prosecutors in several counties - you'd laugh until your sides split if you heard the tales of criminals TEXTING their plans to each other to commit a crime. No, really. Here in Ohio. They (usually) are THAT dumb. The "criminal mastermind" is a fiction created by the entertainment industry.

4 - He completely ignores the EDUCATIONAL aspect of OC. This, in my mind, is the really big benefit to OC. You get to show people who don't realize it that OC is legal, safe and done by normal folks. Sometimes even when the OC causes a confrontation the end result is still positive - witness the recent OC near a barbershop in Akron.

5 - While the author says he wants to roll back all gun laws he misses just how crucial protecting/normalizing OC is to keeping his CC effective. In states that have overbearing laws against "printing" of your concealed rig the result is that deep concealment becomes the only viable choice. That deep concealment is not as effective as OWB with a sweatshirt over it (how I am carrying today, for instance). You're just not going to get your gun out of your Thunderwear faster than me...besides which Zlogonje doesn't make a codpiece holster (yet).
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:He's a troll. Not worth discussing.

From his very own FB page, in regards to that very story:
What fun is having a bear in the zoo if you can't poke it?
:?
I agree.

Must have been a slow news day & the author needed an easy article to post.
(and rack up "page views" for his blog.)
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Morne wrote:I'm a concealed carrier. I OC only rarely (though I did so this week while installing a Trump for president 4x8' roadside sign). That said, I disagree with a decent chunk of the author's points (but not all):

1 - OC and CC are NOT mutually exclusive. Just because you OC a duty size gun doesn't mean you can't conceal a BUG somewhere else (preferably somewhere easy for your weak hand to draw it). The author acts as if OC'ing means you'll get disarmed and left defenseless the first time you fail to 360-scan for threats and that's just not true.

2 - While CC'ing may be tactically superior in an urban/suburban environment it is no guarantee that the BG won't notice it. Likewise, just because you OC is no guarantee that they will notice it. Had dinner with Chuck and Aaron recently - I doubt our waitress ever saw his OC'ed gun.

3 - His point about gun grabs only failing due to the BG's "ineptitude" is germane. Thing is, criminals have "ineptitude" in spades. I have friends who are prosecutors in several counties - you'd laugh until your sides split if you heard the tales of criminals TEXTING their plans to each other to commit a crime. No, really. Here in Ohio. They (usually) are THAT dumb. The "criminal mastermind" is a fiction created by the entertainment industry.

4 - He completely ignores the EDUCATIONAL aspect of OC. This, in my mind, is the really big benefit to OC. You get to show people who don't realize it that OC is legal, safe and done by normal folks. Sometimes even when the OC causes a confrontation the end result is still positive - witness the recent OC near a barbershop in Akron.

5 - While the author says he wants to roll back all gun laws he misses just how crucial protecting/normalizing OC is to keeping his CC effective. In states that have overbearing laws against "printing" of your concealed rig the result is that deep concealment becomes the only viable choice. That deep concealment is not as effective as OWB with a sweatshirt over it (how I am carrying today, for instance). You're just not going to get your gun out of your Thunderwear faster than me...besides which Zlogonje doesn't make a codpiece holster (yet).
I was going to respond to the OP, but this reply essentially says what I wanted to say much better than I could. :)
Darkness

Post by Darkness »

Instead of deterrence, we’ve found numerous instances (some of which we’ve documented here at Bearing Arms) where criminals saw an openly carried firearm as a target to be snatched. In most of these instances, they were successful. In the instances where the criminals failed, it was typically through their own ineptitude.
Numerous?

Just how many is that?
It was not fair, it was not fair, it was not fair. So cried his child's heart, and then his child's heart died a little. For that is also the way of the world.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Darkness wrote:
Instead of deterrence, we’ve found numerous instances (some of which we’ve documented here at Bearing Arms) where criminals saw an openly carried firearm as a target to be snatched. In most of these instances, they were successful. In the instances where the criminals failed, it was typically through their own ineptitude.
Numerous?

Just how many is that?
Two, three, four maybe. Open Carry Dot Org forums has a sort of standing challenge looking for verifiable incidents like that. I've visited there for numerous (HA!) ten years and they have related two such OC gun snatches in that time, as memory serves.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Darkness wrote:
Numerous?

Just how many is that?
Decades ago a security guard at a company I worked for was walking around on a night shift, when someone came up behind him, struck him over the head, and took his handgun. The people at the contract told me that prior to this happening, the guy didn't appear to be taking the job seriously, not paying attention, bored, just wanted to put his time in. One of the comments was he was walking around "with his head up his ---" I don't think that this guy is a typical example of most open carriers however.

The last case of an OC gun theft that I read about was some guy who allegedly had half the gun stuck in a back pocket, the other half exposed, instead of being in a holster on a belt. Someone came up from behind him, snatched it out of the pocket and walked off. If true, I'd say ineptitude can go both ways.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

When open carrying, your gun is out there for everyone to see. So there's that.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Morne wrote:3 - His point about gun grabs only failing due to the BG's "ineptitude" is germane. Thing is, criminals have "ineptitude" in spades. I have friends who are prosecutors in several counties - you'd laugh until your sides split if you heard the tales of criminals TEXTING their plans to each other to commit a crime. No, really. Here in Ohio. They (usually) are THAT dumb. The "criminal mastermind" is a fiction created by the entertainment industry.
You forgot about the text messages afterward, bragging about what they did and what they did with the gun.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Werz wrote:
Morne wrote:3 - His point about gun grabs only failing due to the BG's "ineptitude" is germane. Thing is, criminals have "ineptitude" in spades. I have friends who are prosecutors in several counties - you'd laugh until your sides split if you heard the tales of criminals TEXTING their plans to each other to commit a crime. No, really. Here in Ohio. They (usually) are THAT dumb. The "criminal mastermind" is a fiction created by the entertainment industry.
You forgot about the text messages afterward, bragging about what they did and what they did with the gun.
It's not just text messages. Do a search sometime on all the criminals who brag about and post pics and videos of themselves during or after the criminal activity.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

M-Quigley wrote:
Werz wrote:
It's not just text messages. Do a search sometime on all the criminals who brag about and post pics and videos of themselves during or after the criminal activity.
I have plenty of those. And no, I'm not going to post any of them.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Aww c'mon. We need something highly entertaining to start off the weekend. :twisted:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Darkness wrote:
Numerous?

Just how many is that?
And how many criminals saw an open carried gun and decided to seek easier hunting grounds? Oh, we generally don't know because the crime was avoided because of the open carry.