Open carry walk BGSU - 4/16

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AlanM

Re: Open carry walk BGSU - 4/16

Post by AlanM »

Here's a picture of Jeff from a year or two ago when he was in Indianna.
He's lost some weight and looks thinner than I remember him being when I last saw him. (probably the 2010 PITP).

Just Google "jeff smith ohio concealed carry" and click "images".
Note: Googling "BB62" won't get you pictures of Jeff. But they ARE awe inspiring, none the less. 8)
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

AlanM wrote:...He's lost some weight and looks thinner than I remember him being when I last saw him...
He's been doing a LOT of walking.
:wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
Lthrnck

Post by Lthrnck »

And most of the time, it's a Yellow shirt... those of us who have know Jeff for awhile used to call him "Big Bird"... he's a stand up guy... and when he stands up... you all will know it.. :)
BB62

Post by BB62 »

AlanM wrote:Here's a picture of Jeff from a year or two ago when he was in Indianna.
He's lost some weight and looks thinner than I remember him being when I last saw him. (probably the 2010 PITP).

Just Google "jeff smith ohio concealed carry" and click "images".
Note: Googling "BB62" won't get you pictures of Jeff. But they ARE awe inspiring, none the less. 8)
I wish you were still here Alan, but I understand why you're not. I'm struggling mightily not to eat sweets, and having a small amount of success.

The picture you posted was the Walk in St. Louis, MO: https://www.facebook.com/events/690379891057306/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Better to Google "Jeffry Smith" . :wink:

I'm actually a dwarf. Here's a digitally altered :wink: picture of me and Office Horine of the BGSU PD:

Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Werz wrote:...And if I take up my wife's offer to take her car (mine has a dangling muffler that can't be fixed until Monday), there will be video of this one, too.
Here's hoping that you do!
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I'm majorly bummed about not going to the BGSU walk, but life got in the way.

I was really looking forward to showing off my new pistol, too.

Heck, I even made a custom holster for it:

MyWifeSaidYes
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

That would've made the news!!

Excellent news coverage from the tv stations that I saw! Very encouraging on all fronts, Jeffry was interviewed and gave a nice short diatribe. His cowboy hat was very visible in every camera shot. The commentators from tv gave just the facts and the interviews they aired were all positive.

Way to go, guy & gals! :) I enjoyed the open carry in Northwood many years ago and lunch at Big Boys afterward, I'm sure this was a great experience as well.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Yep, it appears that BB62 had yet another successful, problem free walk. Wish I'd have been able to go yesterday, but nothing short of disaster will keep me from attending the one at Miami University/Oxford.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

It was a beautiful day for a walk. Positive comments from most observers and passersby. I really enjoyed meeting BB62 and the other participants.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
BB62

Post by BB62 »

WestonDon wrote:It was a beautiful day for a walk. Positive comments from most observers and passersby. I really enjoyed meeting BB62 and the other participants.
As did I enjoy meeting you and others - especially the "first timers".

Thanks again for coming!

My wife has kept me chained to the plow today, and I've got to get some rest. I'll try and post tomorrow.

Got Freedom?

BB62

Post by BB62 »

Another fantastic Walk video by Werz!

https://youtu.be/fm9LfgsyefM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got Freedom?

OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

The most offensive thing is the video is that Pittsbwurgh Squeelers shirt.... well that and the music...
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
XDSC9G30

Post by XDSC9G30 »

This was my first walk for this sort of thing. I have a few things to comment on, positive and constructive.

First, most people were very friendly. The kid playing ball with his father, the couple with the well behaved dog etc were great. Jeff, you were a very busy man and tried your best to introduce yourself to everyone, my girlfriend and I stayed back because I like to observe so you missed us. This wasn't for a lack of effort, I could tell you were trying and started towards us when channel 11/36 showed up. This is great, I sincerely applaud that effort. To me it showed you certainly weren't here just for the cameras, you actually want to meet everyone that shows up. I intentionally stay back in new situations as I stated. We are visible in some shots of this walk and visibly distant from the crowds.

The constructive aspect is as follows.

Please start on time. This walk started nearly 30 minutes late, people on a schedule may schedule only so much time for a walk that is expected to start at the specified time. I understand media showed up late and others did as well. Maybe I just see punctuality as too major of an event.

The other item I had issues with was one of the gentleman in the photos that kept antagonizing the protesters he did this for at least 20 minutes that I observed. I am all for reasonable conversation but when the other participants do not want to strike up conversations then please let them be, especially during walks like this. I actually had to step in and let this gentleman know that he was making the rest of us look bad by his constant badgering of the protester carrying the "Remember Trayvon" sign. Thankfully it was a very quiet conversation and he abruptly stopped after I informed him he was making everyone else at the walk look bad.

Just a few notes, sorry if it is long or unwanted feedback.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I'm sure Jeff/BB62 will appreciate your observations, XDSC9G30. The purpose of these walks is to educate, not antagonize. But sometimes the opposition makes even the most cordial of us bite through our tongues in order to remain friendly.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Here's an article about the walk this last weekend with a video of Jeff.

Firearms advocates hold open-carry walk on BGSU campus, downtown

The text is short and to the point so I won't quote it. It does have a nice mention of the next walk at Miami University on 4/30/16.

The video is also on YouTube here

I have an amusing image in my mind of the cameraman either elevated or holding his camera over his head to get that head and shoulders shot of Jeff level. :twisted:

On a personal note, since I've lost over 90 pounds myself (down from ~319) I look a lot like Jeff's smaller brother now.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.