"Outrage ensues" over long gun OCer in Akron

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

wickedgreyzx3

Re: "Outrage ensues" over long gun OCer in Akron

Post by wickedgreyzx3 »

It's really time to start prosecuting people who use 911 to make MWAG calls.

Abuse of the 911 system and false reporting of a crime.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

You make a wickedly accurate point...at some point, reckless 911 calls made out of ignorance endanger law abiding citizens.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I wouldn't be in favor of that - far too many people have no idea it is legal to openly carry a firearm in Ohio.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

We as gun owners and carriers have to know the law but others don't? Ignorance of the law is no excuse, right?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

pirateguy191 wrote:We as gun owners and carriers have to know the law but others don't? Ignorance of the law is no excuse, right?
Well said!
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

wickedgreyzx3 wrote:It's really time to start prosecuting people who use 911 to make MWAG calls.

Abuse of the 911 system and false reporting of a crime.
if you could prove that the individual had prior knowledge that the action they were reporting was legal you could get them with abuse of emergency services and/or filin a false report.

By prove I mean beyond a reasonable doubt.
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

JustaShooter wrote:I wouldn't be in favor of that - far too many people have no idea it is legal to openly carry a firearm in Ohio.
Easy solution to that is to train the people receiving the calls. Have them ask what the person is doing with the firearm. If they say anything like "nothing" have the person taking the call inform the caller that the open carrying of firearms is legal and to not call back unless they are threatening someone with it. In addition, it educates at least one person.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

dl1911 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:I wouldn't be in favor of that - far too many people have no idea it is legal to openly carry a firearm in Ohio.
Easy solution to that is to train the people receiving the calls. Have them ask what the person is doing with the firearm. If they say anything like "nothing" have the person taking the call inform the caller that the open carrying of firearms is legal and to not call back unless they are threatening someone with it. In addition, it educates at least one person.
That is the approach I had in mind, but I have read here in these forums that this would not be practical - though I can't see why not.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I'd guess that the higher ups to the dispatchers fear the potential for that one incident in which a 'man with a gun' call is received. The dispatcher asks what the man with the gun is doing. The caller states that the person with the gun is doing nothing out of the ordinary. Dispatcher then tells caller there's no reason to send a cop out. Few minutes after the call ends, guy with gun uses it to unlawfully shoot someone.

So in the aftermath the public perception would be that the system failed. Reality of the situation is that, even if the dispatcher had directed an officer to that scene as soon as the caller mentioned the man with the gun, cop wouldn't have been there in time to stop the shooting. But that reality is too painful for the grasseaters in our society to accept, they need someone not only to care for them, but to blame bad events on.

When I got mad at Campbell, Ohio several years ago I did some OC walking around a couple parts of town (handgun on each hip) until I saw someone getting on their phone while staring at me. I would then slowly saunter back towards my vehicle. Did that little skit twice. Guess what? I saw no police until a bunch of us were in their crummy city park for a gun rights event, where ALL the police were to "keep order". Only thing they kept was the "park permit fee" they strong armed out of the other gun rights group there.

Oops I'm drifting. Point here is that in spite of how little good it would usually do because of the police using cars not Star Trek transporters, dispatchers aren't going to be green lighted to NOT send an officer towards the scene of those 'MWAG' calls. At least in most situations. If a gun rights group is parading down Elm Street, the police and dispatchers know that already, and calls come in about 'men with guns on Elm Street' then no, the paddy rollers ain't rollin' on it.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
centermass

Post by centermass »

I just saw an OCer at Arbys in Sylvania last night. The sky showed no signs of falling.

Sort of on topic.
Thy rod and thy staff and thy .357, they comfort me.
ohioborntexan

Post by ohioborntexan »

Brian D. wrote:I'd guess that the higher ups to the dispatchers fear the potential for that one incident in which a 'man with a gun' call is received. The dispatcher asks what the man with the gun is doing. The caller states that the person with the gun is doing nothing out of the ordinary. Dispatcher then tells caller there's no reason to send a cop out. Few minutes after the call ends, guy with gun uses it to unlawfully shoot someone.

So in the aftermath the public perception would be that the system failed. Reality of the situation is that, even if the dispatcher had directed an officer to that scene as soon as the caller mentioned the man with the gun, cop wouldn't have been there in time to stop the shooting. But that reality is too painful for the grasseaters in our society to accept, they need someone not only to care for them, but to blame bad events on.

When I got mad at Campbell, Ohio several years ago I did some OC walking around a couple parts of town (handgun on each hip) until I saw someone getting on their phone while staring at me. I would then slowly saunter back towards my vehicle. Did that little skit twice. Guess what? I saw no police until a bunch of us were in their crummy city park for a gun rights event, where ALL the police were to "keep order". Only thing they kept was the "park permit fee" they strong armed out of the other gun rights group there.

Oops I'm drifting. Point here is that in spite of how little good it would usually do because of the police using cars not Star Trek transporters, dispatchers aren't going to be green lighted to NOT send an officer towards the scene of those 'MWAG' calls. At least in most situations. If a gun rights group is parading down Elm Street, the police and dispatchers know that already, and calls come in about 'men with guns on Elm Street' then no, the paddy rollers ain't rollin' on it.
Texas passed an OC law that went into effect 1-1-16. If you have a CHL you can carry open or concealed. Before the law went into effect all Texas law enforcement discussed this issue and decided that if someone reported a MWAG the dispatcher would advise the caller of the law. An officer would be dispatched only if the MWAG was doing something to warrant checking into.

The law has been in effect two weeks and the problem never materialized. I have no doubt that if someone kept calling just to harass the armed man, the caller would find themselves taking the ride.
God bless America, and please hurry!

When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

ohioborntexan wrote:Texas passed an OC law that went into effect 1-1-16 ... The law has been in effect two weeks and the problem never materialized. I have no doubt that if someone kept calling just to harass the armed man, the caller would find themselves taking the ride.
On a related note I have heard that the number of private establishments where Texans can lawfully carry openly or concealed has taken a pretty substantial hit with this new law. I've not been down there to observe firsthand yet but it sounds like it's more than just a few places. Suddenly they're finding out that Applebees, TGI Fridays, Half Price Books, Cinemark, Regal, et al don't just despise Ohioans. ;)

I only offer this slightly off topic comment to point out that one should never assume that popular opinion is strongly in their favor or that if people get exposed to something more chances are they'll warm to the idea. Neither is necessarily true.
ohioborntexan

Post by ohioborntexan »

djthomas wrote:
ohioborntexan wrote:Texas passed an OC law that went into effect 1-1-16 ... The law has been in effect two weeks and the problem never materialized. I have no doubt that if someone kept calling just to harass the armed man, the caller would find themselves taking the ride.
On a related note I have heard that the number of private establishments where Texans can lawfully carry openly or concealed has taken a pretty substantial hit with this new law. I've not been down there to observe firsthand yet but it sounds like it's more than just a few places. Suddenly they're finding out that Applebees, TGI Fridays, Half Price Books, Cinemark, Regal, et al don't just despise Ohioans. ;)

I only offer this slightly off topic comment to point out that one should never assume that popular opinion is strongly in their favor or that if people get exposed to something more chances are they'll warm to the idea. Neither is necessarily true.
I don’t know how much the OCC followers have kept up with the efforts to get open carry here but it has been FUBAR.

We have an organization “OCT” that used “in your face” tactics at the capitol and in public that damaged public opinion of CHL holders. It went so far that some of our state legislators had panic buttons installed in their offices. Panic buttons yet. They went into a restaurant with rifles carried at low ready without prior notification of the police or business manager.

Now businesses that are selling “30.07 signs” for businesses to post prohibiting open carry are selling “two packs” that have the “30.07” and the “30.06” signs which prohibit concealed carry of handguns. Many businesses are posting both.

As a net result there are many businesses where we could previously carry concealed are now off limits to open or concealed carry.

We have a lot of angry CHL holders in Texas now.

When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me
BB62

Post by BB62 »

ohioborntexan wrote:
djthomas wrote:

I don’t know how much the OCC followers have kept up with the efforts to get open carry here but it has been FUBAR.

We have an organization “OCT” that used “in your face” tactics at the capitol and in public that damaged public opinion of CHL holders. It went so far that some of our state legislators had panic buttons installed in their offices. Panic buttons yet. They went into a restaurant with rifles carried at low ready without prior notification of the police or business manager.

Now businesses that are selling “30.07 signs” for businesses to post prohibiting open carry are selling “two packs” that have the “30.07” and the “30.06” signs which prohibit concealed carry of handguns. Many businesses are posting both.

As a net result there are many businesses where we could previously carry concealed are now off limits to open or concealed carry.

We have a lot of angry CHL holders in Texas now.
Oh my, not another off-topic, half-accurate post about Texas!

<rolls eyes>
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
ohioborntexan

Post by ohioborntexan »

Please point out what is “half accurate” about my post and where you obtained your information that makes you think it is “half accurate”.

As far as being “off topic” my first post was to inform “JustaShooter“ and “Brian D.” that Texas implemented what they were discussing and it worked well.

My last post was in reply to djthomas.