"Outrage ensues" over long gun OCer in Akron

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JediSkipdogg

Re: "Outrage ensues" over long gun OCer in Akron

Post by JediSkipdogg »

dl1911 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:I wouldn't be in favor of that - far too many people have no idea it is legal to openly carry a firearm in Ohio.
Easy solution to that is to train the people receiving the calls. Have them ask what the person is doing with the firearm. If they say anything like "nothing" have the person taking the call inform the caller that the open carrying of firearms is legal and to not call back unless they are threatening someone with it.
So the call I took the other night of a man dressed in all black wearing a hoodie at 4am running through the neighborhood I should not have dispatched anyone on? Where's the crime?

Just curious how a person on the phone can interpret what a person on the other end is seeing.
dl1911 wrote: In addition, it educates at least one person.
Not sure when the job of a dispatcher was to educate people on the law when they are not required to even know the law. They are required to take a phone call and send a police officer to investigate. That's pretty much it.
Brian D. wrote:I'd guess that the higher ups to the dispatchers fear the potential for that one incident in which a 'man with a gun' call is received. The dispatcher asks what the man with the gun is doing. The caller states that the person with the gun is doing nothing out of the ordinary. Dispatcher then tells caller there's no reason to send a cop out. Few minutes after the call ends, guy with gun uses it to unlawfully shoot someone.
That's some of it. The bigger part is we simply do not see what is truly happening. I've heard calls dispatched for structure fires that are just fireplaces burning. Should we send just a pumper to verify before sending the entire department? Last Septemberish an eye glass store in Kenwood had a theft occur. The caller gave the description of what happened and it was dispatched as a robbery in progress. The first officer on scene saw the vehicle ahead of him as he was getting ready to pull into the lot and a vehicle pursuit ensued from Kenwood all the way up past Kings Island on I-71. So we have a dispatch for a violent crime that is ranked either an F2 or F3. The suspects were caught after multiple jurisdictions got involved. Once someone could finally make it back to the scene it was discovered that no force or threat of force was used and therefore it was simply an M1 theft.

So where is the wrong? Dispatcher? Caller? I've heard the call, the caller said they were just robbed. Should the call-taker go through all the elements of robbery with the caller to verify it was a robbery?

And for those that say misuse of 911 should be prosecuted for any non-emergency calls. Well, then you will tie the court system up for decades on stupid crimes. 911 takes calls for lockouts, crashes that don't exist, shots fired that are unfounded or fireworks, etc. How do you prosecute a MWAG call and not prosecute other unfounded or non-emergency calls? You simply can't do it without destroying the entire system and burning the public's trust in it.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
eye95
*** Banned ***

Post by eye95 »

The problem is not in dispatching an officer for a look-see. The problem comes in when the officer uses color of law to detain someone simply because he is armed or simply because he is wearing a hoodie.

Dispatch away. Properly train the officers not to violate the Rights of citizens just because someone experienced unfounded alarm.
Be a Madisonian.

It finally happened. I have now been accused on OFCC of both being a cop-hater and then a cop-lover! Therefore, anyone making either accusation must not be paying attention.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

eye95 wrote:The problem is not in dispatching an officer for a look-see. The problem comes in when the officer uses color of law to detain someone simply because he is armed or simply because he is wearing a hoodie.

Dispatch away. Properly train the officers not to violate the Rights of citizens just because someone experienced unfounded alarm.
Bing bing bing....we have a winner. :mrgreen:
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
BobK

Post by BobK »

ohioborntexan wrote:As a net result there are many businesses where we could previously carry concealed are now off limits to open or concealed carry.
This is most definitely accurate and has affected me personally in multiple ways.
ohioborntexan wrote:We have a lot of angry CHL holders in Texas now.
Count me as one of them. I wish open carry had never passed.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

BobK wrote:
ohioborntexan wrote:As a net result there are many businesses where we could previously carry concealed are now off limits to open or concealed carry.
This is most definitely accurate and has affected me personally in multiple ways.
And this is the shame of it all
OC was going to be passed down there anyways, and that OCT crowd went to great lengths to {inappropriate language} off everyone.
So now there are more posted places in Texas than ever before

I know you to be an avid open carrier, Bob, as well as a good friend, and I can't think of a single time when we covered our guns
For them to have turned you off so much that you would make the comment above took a lot of effort
This is what they sowed,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Chuck wrote:
BobK wrote:
And this is the shame of it all
OC was going to be passed down there anyways, and that OCT crowd went to great lengths to {inappropriate language} of everyone.
So now there are more posted places in Texas than ever before
This is what they sowed,,,,
This is exactly what I hear from my relatives in Texas, one of whom is pretty close to the state political scene. I wish those OCT dunderheads could see the damage they've done *but they deny to this day that they had a negative effect*.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
BB62

Post by BB62 »

ohioborntexan wrote:
djthomas wrote:
ohioborntexan wrote:Texas passed an OC law that went into effect 1-1-16 ... The law has been in effect two weeks and the problem never materialized. I have no doubt that if someone kept calling just to harass the armed man, the caller would find themselves taking the ride.
On a related note I have heard that the number of private establishments where Texans can lawfully carry openly or concealed has taken a pretty substantial hit with this new law. I've not been down there to observe firsthand yet but it sounds like it's more than just a few places. Suddenly they're finding out that Applebees, TGI Fridays, Half Price Books, Cinemark, Regal, et al don't just despise Ohioans. ;)

I only offer this slightly off topic comment to point out that one should never assume that popular opinion is strongly in their favor or that if people get exposed to something more chances are they'll warm to the idea. Neither is necessarily true.
I don’t know how much the OCC followers have kept up with the efforts to get open carry here but it has been FUBAR.

We have an organization “OCT” that used “in your face” tactics at the capitol and in public that damaged public opinion of CHL holders. It went so far that some of our state legislators had panic buttons installed in their offices. Panic buttons yet. They went into a restaurant with rifles carried at low ready without prior notification of the police or business manager.

Now businesses that are selling “30.07 signs” for businesses to post prohibiting open carry are selling “two packs” that have the “30.07” and the “30.06” signs which prohibit concealed carry of handguns. Many businesses are posting both.

As a net result there are many businesses where we could previously carry concealed are now off limits to open or concealed carry.

We have a lot of angry CHL holders in Texas now.
ohioborntexan wrote:Please point out what is “half accurate” about my post and where you obtained your information that makes you think it is “half accurate”.

As far as being “off topic” my first post was to inform “JustaShooter“ and “Brian D.” that Texas implemented what they were discussing and it worked well.

My last post was in reply to djthomas.
For one, it wasn't the actions of Open Carry Texas that resulted in panic buttons being installed, it was allegedly the actions of Open Carry Tarrant County, a completely different organization.

If various people want to continue this off-topic TX debate, might I suggest a different thread be created, and the numerous off-topic posts be moved there?
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
ohioborntexan

Post by ohioborntexan »

BB62
I misspoke concerning the cause of the “panic buttons” but OCT did their share of alienating the public and legislature.

Now if you are not a moderator then I suggest you find another thread or even forum that you like. You are not being forced to read this one.
God bless America, and please hurry!

When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

ohioborntexan wrote:BB62
I misspoke concerning the cause of the “panic buttons” but OCT did their share of alienating the public and legislature.

Now if you are not a moderator then I suggest you find another thread or even forum that you like. You are not being forced to read this one.
Interesting.

You put BB62 on the spot to prove your post was half-accurate...and he did.

Now you invite him to not read the thread...THAT HE STARTED??

Are you a special kind of stupid?

I'm not calling names, I'm just asking a serious question.
MyWifeSaidYes
ohioborntexan

Post by ohioborntexan »

Sure you are not calling names. That would be below you.

My first post was intended to point out Ohio and Texas have many of the same problems. So I got OCT and OCTC mixed up and his post pushed my button. For that I apologize.

Now for my question, were both you guys potty trained at gun point? :wink:
God bless America, and please hurry!

When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

ohioborntexan wrote:...
Now for my question, were both you guys potty trained at gun point? :wink:
I can't speak for BB62, but I'm pretty sure I was the only kid on my block that had a holster attachment on my diapers.

:mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Civility, people. Let's get back on topic, and cut out the name calling.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

I'm sorry to stay "off topic", Mustang380gal, but the little that I know about MWSY I'd bet his comment about the holster attachment is probably true! 8)
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".