OC makes you a target is not BS

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MacDonald

OC makes you a target is not BS

Post by MacDonald »

I have heard, numerous times, that OC deters bad guys.
Apparently, not always, but I still prefer OC.

http://bearingarms.com/felon-attacks...ngton-walmart/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although this is probably uncommon, with my luck I would be the one in a million.
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
BobK

Re: OC makes you a target is not BS

Post by BobK »

Bad link
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

ALWAYS is a big word that seldom applies

OTOH, if carrying concealed is tactically better, why don't cops do it?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Error 404 - Nothing Found
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Try this one:

http://bearingarms.com/felon-attacks-op ... n-walmart/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the follow-up story:

http://bearingarms.com/man-attacked-wal ... pen-carry/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

And I've never heard ANYONE say that OC does not make you a target, just that it is highly unlikely.

The deterrent effect is more important to me than the target effect.

So this makes, what, 3 incidents in the last 10+ years?

One of those was in California where, by law, the handgun could only be carried unloaded. I hardly think that counts.

The other was a newbie walking around in a known bad neighborhood at 2am. That counts, but it was also stupid.

And this incident was an unsuccessful attempt.
MyWifeSaidYes
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

http://bearingarms.com/man-attacked-wal ... pen-carry/

Sounds like the Walmart slugger was trying to commit suicide in a roundabout way.
docachna

Post by docachna »

TJW815 wrote:http://bearingarms.com/man-attacked-wal ... pen-carry/

Sounds like the Walmart slugger was trying to commit suicide in a roundabout way.
Suicide by cop..............uh, OC ???
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

docachna wrote:
TJW815 wrote:http://bearingarms.com/man-attacked-wal ... pen-carry/

Suicide by cop..............uh, OC ???
I was referring to blatantly attacking someone that had visible means to end you.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

6-foot+ gas station attendant in North Carolina: "What would you do if I came across this counter and took that gun from you?"

MWSY: "Shoot you with the other one."

Attendant, upon not seeing the other gun: "Oh."
MyWifeSaidYes
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:6-foot+ gas station attendant in North Carolina: "What would you do if I came across this counter and took that gun from you?"

MWSY: "Shoot you with the other one."

Attendant, upon not seeing the other gun: "Oh."
:mrgreen:
RichN

Post by RichN »

Chuck wrote:
OTOH, if carrying concealed is tactically better, why don't cops do it?
Are you serious?

A cop in uniform with a badge, night stick, handcuff case, radio, Taser and assorted other gear is not going to make anyone wonder if he is armed or not if he were to conceal his gun.

On the other hand, undercover cops and plain clothes detectives most often do carry concealed.

My take on this: Open carrying might make you less likely to be attacked, but if you are attacked despite (or because of) the fact you are carrying, it will mean you have lost a certain element of surprise, so you better have quick reflexes. This shift in tactical status is especially true if you are not attacked individually, but at part of a group, such as during a bank robbery; you are no longer just one of the crowd, and all eyes will be on you.

Again, it wouldn't make sense for a cop in uniform to carry concealed, because he is never going to surprise anyone when they suddenly find out he has a gun with him, unless you are in England.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

Hey, everyone. Sorry for the bad link. I would have attended to it, but I had to go to KY for a few days.

I realize that there have been very few incidents in the last ten years, but as I said, with my luck...
I usually OC, but mostly around town (can't at work, no girlfriend so rarely go out as I gave-up the nightlife years ago).
When I OC, I use a retention holster (Serpa or, sometimes, Bianca) which may buy me a moment if someone made a grab. Gotta get in the habit of carrying a BUG, as stories like these suggest...I have a Shield and a Mustang, so I have the resources.
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
BobK

Post by BobK »

MacDonald wrote:Gotta get in the habit of carrying a BUG, as stories like these suggest...
I always carry a weak side assisted opening knife clipped to my pocket because I believe I can deploy it more quickly than a backup gun and create more damage more quickly when in touching range. It is specifically intended to defend in a retention battle.

I am so looking forward to open carrying again. :mrgreen:
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

BobK wrote: I always carry a weak side assisted opening knife clipped to my pocket because I believe I can deploy it more quickly than a backup gun and create more damage more quickly when in touching range. It is specifically intended to defend in a retention battle.
Now that is a darn great idea!!
NRA Lifetime Member