OC'ing in Ohio

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

OC'ing in Ohio

Post by charliej47 »

:D I think I have been lucky so far.

I don't go out of my way to advertise that I am OC'ing. I do OC in the warm months and CC in the cold months. I can say that I have one had one incident OC'ing where the LEO go a little upset but it got straightened out. I do not go out of my way to draw attention to myself. I just go about my business and don't bother people.

I have had several people react badly to my presence, but for the most part, people don't even know that I am OC'ing. Most of the places I go to, such as Lowe's, Walmart or gas stations, the people are too busy to look around.
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: OC'ing in Ohio

Post by JustaShooter »

My habit and experience are similar to yours, although I've not yet had anyone react badly to me OCing, nor have I had an encounter, good or bad, with a LEO.

Not sure how much it can be attributed to luck as much as the complete lack of situational awareness and perception that people exhibit these days.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

:shock: I have gone into fast food places and and to a lot of other places where I have seen LEOs or have LEOs walk in while I am standing in line. I have never had any questins me an dI have only had one or two react to seeing my weapon.

It seem sthat everyone is so busy that they just don't notice.
Charles Johnson Jr
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I don't know how many people do not notice that I'm OC'ing.

I can't even be sure how many people DO notice that I'm OC'ing, but assume that I'm either an off-duty cop or a security guard.

"Are you a cop?"

"Nope."

"Oh, you're security?"

"No."

"Then why do you have a gun?"

"I'm a legally armed citizen."

"Is that some kind of group?"

:roll:

That conversation took place early last year between a Speedway clerk and myself, and led to a fairly long conversation about open carry. We also had several customers overhear and get interested in the topic. I got to dispel a few myths while I was there, also.
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

charliej47 wrote:It seem sthat everyone is so busy that they just don't notice.
If there's ever an "app" which detects a firearm being within X number of feet of a smart phone, more people might see your handgun, Charlie. Until then you could pretty much dress, talk, and look like a live-action Yosemite Sam and that whole bunch of electronics-distracted people will never notice.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

OC'r all the time. When LEO's see, no reaction. Never had a 'bad' reaction from the general public. Lots of people stop me and ask questions, usually favorable ones such as how can I be allowed to do that?
Is that some kind of group?"
I like that one!! lol
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JustJack »

I OC 90% of the time, and if I'm CC it's more because my shirt is long than because I'm purposely concealing. As to reaction/interaction I've had a few people come up and ask what I'm carrying. I had a Wal-Mart greeter approach me on my way out one day, conversation went mostly like this:
Lady: "Is that a real gun?"
Me: "Yes."
L: "I don't think you can have that here, but since you're already leaving, I won't say anything about it."
M: "I'm pretty sure you're incorrect. I carry here all the time. If you'll notice, there's not a sign on the doors here."
Random Bystander: "Yeah, it has to be posted. If there's no sign, he's fine."
L: "Oh, well I just thought since people aren't allowed to have fireworks and other stuff that explodes that you couldn't have guns either, since bullets explode." (Yes she said this)
M: "Oh, no problem. I understand how it can be confusing. Basically, in Ohio, anyone who can legally own a gun can carry openly and many places, including Wal-Mart have policies that do not restrict carrying. If you want to check with the manager, I'd be happy to wait."
L: "Oh, no, that's ok, I'm sure I was just confused. I have to worry about so many things here, and if anything gets in that's not supposed to I get in trouble."
M: "No problem. Like I said, I'm 99% sure I'm fine, and have never had a problem here, or any other Wal-Mart before. You have a nice day."
As I walked away a second bystander comes up and asks "Was she telling you you can't carry in there? Because if she was, she's wrong." I told her the greeter was confused, but it was all sorted out. Then had a nice conversation with the 2 bystanders before leaving.
IANAL, YMMV, other standard disclaimers, yada, yada, yada, etc, ad nauseum, in infinitum.
"If stupidity was painful, I would be deaf from all the screaming." - Samuel A. Grim
jthombg

Post by jthombg »

I have been oc for a few weeks around toledo and just got a few double takes but nothing out of the ordinary. But when I go out I make a extra point to look and act respectful to help build our public perception and look forward to my first conversation on oc with a stranger
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Brian D. wrote:
charliej47 wrote:It seem sthat everyone is so busy that they just don't notice.
If there's ever an "app" which detects a firearm being within X number of feet of a smart phone, more people might see your handgun, Charlie. Until then you could pretty much dress, talk, and look like a live-action Yosemite Sam and that whole bunch of electronics-distracted people will never notice.
Sorry about quoting myself, but I ought to open a fortune-telling business:

Walked into a large retail "party" store today, you have to make a left turn after entering the doors to access the place, then a right turn as you get around the end of some long shelving parallel to the outside wall, then you are at Aisle #1. Point being, EVERYBODY has to enter that way, it's sort of a bottleneck. Guy is about 15 feet ahead of me, staring at his phone while walking. He steps right on and past a pile of $20 bills just laying there in plain sight. I scoop up the cash and catch up to the guy, even though it didn't seem to have fallen out of his pocket. Sure enough it wasn't his. Nobody else very close by, so I go right to the customer service counter and turn in the $200. The manager knows me and she still seemed surprised that I'd do that. (She's off my Christmas card list now! :lol: )

I stayed around to see if anybody claimed the money...it probably fell out of their pocket when they pulled out their phone, or something. Geez. As of twenty or so minutes later, no joy. Guess the store could use one of their cameras to track down the rightful owner. I imagine they will, which may say something about why I like that place so much.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
jmwildenthal

Post by jmwildenthal »

The first time I recall an officer seeing me open carry, there were two in the car, and they turned back around. The officer in the passenger seat was hanging out the window with his head sideways trying either to read the embossed "1911" lettering on my holster or to get a good look at the Para logo on the grip. The most recent time, the officer looped the block at the State Capitol to tell me he liked my shirt.
I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. If you want legal advice, pay an attorney for it.
NRA Certified Instructor
OHIOSTEVE

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

saw a young man OCing in Walmart friday. I gave him a thumbs up.. he looked confused and I patted my side.. he lit up like a christmas tree. walked over to me and we had a good conversation about the MOMS group and carrying in general.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Postby charliej47 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:26 am

I have had several people react badly to my presence, but for the most part, people don't even know that I am OC'ing. Most of the places I go to, such as Lowe's, Walmart or gas stations, the people are too busy to look around.

Charlyj47......Do ya OC when you do your banking inside?
The branches that I frequent, are used to me doing so, but now and then I'll stop at a branch that I don't normally use ......sometimes I'll get a stare from a customer or comment from someone behind the counter...... after a little conversation, they end up gaining some knowledge, (given politely), which benefits the rest of us! 8)
Doesn't surprise me (because of all the ignorance out there), at how often people think your not allowed to carry inside a "BANK"......"of all places"! :roll: :lol:
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:Postby charliej47 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:26 am

Charlyj47......Do ya OC when you do your banking inside?
The branches that I frequent, are used to me doing so, but now and then I'll stop at a branch that I don't normally use ......sometimes I'll get a stare from a customer or comment from someone behind the counter...... after a little conversation, they end up gaining some knowledge, (given politely), which benefits the rest of us! 8)
Doesn't surprise me (because of all the ignorance out there), at how often people think your not allowed to carry inside a "BANK"......"of all places"! :roll: :lol:
I belong to a credit union and do not go inside unless absolutely necessary. I have been in banks and nobody said anything. I only go to banks that are not posted. :shock:
Charles Johnson Jr
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice

ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

Brian D. wrote:If there's ever an "app" which detects a firearm being within X number of feet of a smart phone, more people might see your handgun, Charlie.
Aside from the law enforcement applications, I'm pretty sure there would be quite a few liberal heads exploding.
- OK. Jokes over. Bring back the Constitution.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
huskybiker

Post by huskybiker »

I open carry around here, mostly on summer weekends. I go to the normal places (parts store, pizza shop, gas station, etc.) In the last five years, no one has ever said a word about it.