FYI, newsletter, Michigan

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Splat!!

FYI, newsletter, Michigan

Post by Splat!! »

http://www.mml.org/insurance/shared/pub ... 009_04.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is
especially true given the high degree of publicity
this issue has received and the absolute fact that
officers should have received training on the issue
and instruction on how to handle it. A Sixth Circuit
case, Gregory v City of Louisville, 444 F.3rd 725
(6th Circuit, 2006) is directly on point. In Gregory,
the Sixth Circuit pointed to City of Canton v. Harris,
109 S.Ct. 1197 (1989) “deliberate indifference”
standard in assessing liability because a
municipality failed to train officers in their duty and
that failure had a “highly predictable
consequence” of being a moving force in a
constitutional violation.
"Our government... teaches the whole people by its example. If the government becomes the lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy."
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: FYI, newsletter, Michigan

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

And that's from a newsletter from 2009? Wow. I didn't realize Michigan was so far ahead of us.

I like this part:
The most important point to remember when
involved with subjects who are openly carrying
firearms in non-prohibited places is that if they
comply with the law, they are exercising their
constitutional right. No matter how concerned
citizens may become and no matter what an
officer’s personal or professional opinion is
, these
people can do what they are doing
. If the subjects
are on private property and the property owners or
their representatives do not object or have not
posted notices prohibiting firearms, the subjects
are complying with the law.
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Yeah, mostly the OC advocates up there have managed to do their get togethers and such without scaring heck out of sheeple, from what I've seen from perusing Michigan-specfic gun rights sites. And to think that I have a friend down here in Ohio that (beacuse he's an OSU nut, off the deep end) says nothing good about Michigan, ever. His most frequent insult is that "The whole state smells like hot dog water". It's ironic he makes that statement, as Michigan's department of agriculture has much higher standards for approving the hot dogs allowed to be sold there, versus Ohio. (Now you know, at the expense of a BIG thread drift, sorry.)

Anyhow they've had licensed concealed carry longer than us so you'd expect other areas of firearms advocacy to be the same way. That's sure true about Kentucky; They started the licensure 6-8 years before Ohio and by now therre's virtually no public places off-limits to carry, period.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Splat!!

Post by Splat!! »

I have always maintained your government will not take your guns, the insurance companies and private corporations will be the driving force behind gun ownership. When your home owners insurance or auto insurance goes thru the roof because guns are stored or transported within, who will carry or want to get involved ? What happens when insurance lobbies for a 10 million dollar liability policies for carrying a gun....?

I have always maintained smack those PD who do not comply with a suit regardless of outcome. The insurance companies view risk, in addition to claims.......The insurance companies will be the ones who do the smack down on PD, but you must get the insurance companies attention...They will deal with it, a PD with no insurance is no longer a PD. Most of us have had our auto rates increased just because a child turns 15yo....Risk assessment, no claim.

The newsletter brings to light that insurance groups sees PD training (lack of) and violating constitutional rights as a risk to them.....You can guarantee, other insurance and insurance pools around the USA have memos regarding this...

http://www.mml-leaf.org/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The LEAF Committee meets several times yearly to exchange information and ideas relating to law enforcement issues and, specifically, to address risk reduction efforts that affect losses from employee accidents and incidents resulting from officers' participation in high-risk police activities.
"Our government... teaches the whole people by its example. If the government becomes the lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy."
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I'd love to see the actuarial tables for risk related to open carriers.

I think the insurance companies would have to pay US. :P
MyWifeSaidYes
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I'd love to see the actuarial tables for risk related to open carriers.

I wonder if there is a sufficient sample group of claims paid to yield a valid statistical analysis.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Splat!!

Post by Splat!! »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I'd love to see the actuarial tables for risk related to open carriers.

Profiling Police: Evaluating the Predictive and
Structural Validity of an Actuarial Method for
Screening Civil Liabilities Among Police Officer
Candidates

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/214121.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting read....