Medina OC "incident"

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Klingon00

Re: Medina OC "incident"

Post by Klingon00 »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Open carry is inherently political. As such, care should be taken to act political as you are representing all gun owners by the very nature of being open and visible.

I'm a proponent of the salami tactic, or the boiling frog (pick your metaphor). Such tactics have been used very successfully over a long period of time to slowly erode our rights. Anti gunners could never get what they wanted all at once so they did it slice by slice hoping we won't notice until it's too late. I believe such methods are what will also restore our rights.

Wearing skulls and arguing with LEO does not seem to be beneficial to easing the public's fear, which is already shocked by the sight of firearms. I believe it's best to ease the public into acceptance of the sight of firearms and shocking them will likely bring about knee jerk reactions.

One last point. Our opposition likes to lie. They know they have the media on their side and can spread lies very efficiently. It isn't hard for them to spin such situations to benefit their narrative which then leaves us on the defensive.

This article demonstrates what I mean:

http://bearingarms.com/lose-messaging-war-guns/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lets be careful not to give ammo to our opponents.
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

Werz wrote:
color of law wrote:What part of "a number of forum members carried long guns in the Cincinnati and Columbus campus walks." did you not understand. I'm pretty sure the carrying of those long guns were for self defence purposes.
No. They were carried for visibility. Long guns were carried for the same reason at the Ohio Statehouse earlier that day. Although visibility may be a legitimate reason to carry a long gun while engaged in making a political statement, and while it is perfectly legal, we should not damage our credibility by mislabeling certain acts.

Likewise, we need to move away from knee-jerk reliance on the Second Amendment to justify everything. When it comes to carrying long guns while making a political statement, the First Amendment is a much better fit, and the communications from University of Cincinnati and The Ohio State University make it clear that they understood that concept.
I agree. But prejudices keep getting in the way of planning a winnable strategy. As I said before: Lets teach them how to do it. Lets not tear them down.
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

carmen fovozzo wrote:It's not the mass' I'm worried about...It's the law makers they complaine to and start thinking about changing OC laws..

So you still have not answered my question with a direct answer.....Who on this forum or anyone else you know carry a long gun as their EDC for self-defense ?
Now you clarified your statement, Everyday Carry. I don't know of any, but you would have to ask the gun carrying masses. Somebody may say yes.

All I keep hearing is crying and complaining. And as I said before: Lets teach them how to do it. Lets not tear them down.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I haven't seen any crying or complaining......and I Haven't seen or know anyone that carries a rifle as their EDC...

If there were no sheep or gun laws I would carry a rifle for EDC sometimes... :wink:
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Who on this forum or anyone else you know carry a long gun as their EDC for self-defense ?
Not for EDC, but I have carried long guns for self defense on car trips before, during periods when civil unrest was a possibility. Had that civil unrest become a reality, OC for defense may have also transpired.

That said, there are folks in Texas where that's their only option for open carry since they don't allow OC of handguns (with the exception of black powder replicas).
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

carmen fovozzo wrote:I haven't seen any crying or complaining......and I Haven't seen or know anyone that carries a rifle as their EDC...

If there were no sheep or gun laws I would carry a rifle for EDC sometimes... :wink:
Past weekend, guy was open carrying an AK in Chicago. He was wearing body armor, too. Got shot down by a rival gang, as he was banging. Another one bites the dust...
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

For those whom I have in my friends list on Facebook - this may look familiar. I posted this on my account after reading about the encounter in Medina.
Reading some news articles about some open carry encounters. Just a reminder that this is social media that we are all posting on, and can be used to build news stories and the like. Just be sure that what you post on Facebook is accurate and factual, lest it come back to bite you.

The articles in question scoured the pages of an organization and individuals to get quotes for their story. Sometimes, we just don't get the chance to tell our perspective of the story directly - but it can be pulled from what we post, whether we like the spin on it or not. If you are ready to be in public to educate, then be ready to talk to people - including reporters - about your efforts. At least then you have a chance of your story being portrayed on your terms.

Before it gets said, I have no quarrel with open carry. I open carry often myself. But, I am mindful of my actions, of my interactions, and what I represent any time I open carry. I think about what I am wearing and what I am doing - as my actions will be judged by the public at large. I have had conversations with persons on the lawn of the Ohio Statehouse while open carrying - because I made my absolute best conscious effort to not appear intimidating in any way. Why? To counteract the inherent fears that some are going to have about a firearm on my person. People are judgmental at best sometimes. If you cannot discuss with those people, then they are going to judge you from afar without your input.

The only way we can educate as individuals is to have those conversations. If I appear confrontational or intimidating in any way - I have defeated my own purpose and potentially had the opposite effect on people than I desired.

I have no intent to shame or diminish anyone. I just wanted to share some observations and thoughts I had as I read those articles.
Notice - there is no mention of any type of firearm. I will add here though - long guns certainly draw more attention to oneself, which is often the purpose of carrying a long gun in public. Can it be used for self-defense? Sure. Is it likely to be used more as a statement? In my opinion - absolutely. In that sentiment, if you decide to carry a long gun into public for that type of demonstration or statement - be aware that you are representative of gun owners to much of the population.

Is that fair? Not at all - it is downright stereotypical in fact. But, it is truthfully what we should all expect (and I dare say many of us do). With that in mind, my personal opinion is that you should be on the most opposite end of the intimidation spectrum as you humanly can be when carrying a long gun to make your statement. Make sure you are approachable in your appearance, though the other end of the spectrum of people probably will not approach you. But, for those who are curious enough to come ask you a question - be prepared to answer professionally and politely. Make sure that engagement goes well, even shake hands with the individual(s) you were speaking with - that will have impact to those who will not approach you, even more than any words or signs will ever persuade them. (I would even dare say to plant someone in the area that would come up and ask questions if you are really trying to prove a point!)

In short, be mindful of your appearance, attitude, and demeanor - lest your educational statements will be lost in the judgmental nature of people.

Yes, people are judgmental. We just spent 8 thread pages proving that. :shock:
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Werz wrote:
color of law wrote:What part of "a number of forum members carried long guns in the Cincinnati and Columbus campus walks." did you not understand. I'm pretty sure the carrying of those long guns were for self defence purposes.
No. They were carried for visibility. Long guns were carried for the same reason at the Ohio Statehouse earlier that day. Although visibility may be a legitimate reason to carry a long gun while engaged in making a political statement, and while it is perfectly legal, we should not damage our credibility by mislabeling certain acts....
The visibility aspect is exactly why I welcomed participants to carry them (with proper muzzle control) during the walks at the University of Cincinnati and The Ohio State University.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

My donations to the NRA support the 2A in the U.S.......my donations to OFCC support Conceal Carry....in Ohio..though OFCC is about gun rights I give so I can CC and defend myself...If OC causes my right as a CC to lose some of my rights, then I am against OC....
Voice

Post by Voice »

carmen fovozzo wrote:My donations to the NRA support the 2A in the U.S.......my donations to OFCC support Conceal Carry....in Ohio..though OFCC is about gun rights I give so I can CC and defend myself...If OC causes my right as a CC to lose some of my rights, then I am against OC....
If you lose OC, how long do you think you'll keep CC?
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

If we lose OC it will be do to situations like Madina not being totally organized for the good of all gun rights..this should of been about gun rights, not OC only....The effect would of been positive with OC of handguns and rifles had it been about our gun rights...not 2 guys walking around with rifles.....
.......If you don't see that then I'm sorry...
BB62

Post by BB62 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:My donations to the NRA support the 2A in the U.S.......my donations to OFCC support Conceal Carry....in Ohio..though OFCC is about gun rights I give so I can CC and defend myself...If OC causes my right as a CC to lose some of my rights, then I am against OC....
To add further to the thread drift... Carmen, I don't know if you were "talking" to me with your response (because it has nothing to do with my post), but you don't have and you can't lose CC rights - because CC is a privilege the way the law is currently interpreted.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

A reasonable list of concealed carry changes/restrictions attached via an amendment to an open carry prohibition bill...it's doable.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

It was for Voice.....not you....BB..call it what you want...privilege or right . It can be taken from you piece by piece...

I see no thread drift....were talking about OC aren't we...
dan dan the XD40 man

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

carmen fovozzo wrote:If we lose OC it will be do to situations like Madina not being totally organized for the good of all gun rights..this should of been about gun rights, not OC only....The effect would of been positive with OC of handguns and rifles had it been about our gun rights...not 2 guys walking around with rifles.....
.......If you don't see that then I'm sorry...

So... how many people would it take to make it OK? Who gets to decide that number? Is there a vote? A panel of industry experts? Will it be televised? Can I call in my vote with my 0bama phone?
Poop!