Cleveland Police Open Carry Policy Released

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Cleveland Police Open Carry Policy Released

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

For those of you who don't visit the OFCC home page very often, here is a story that Jeff Garvas posted today that is VERY good news.

The media got ahold of an 'open carry is legal' memo from the Cleveland police department last week and reported on it, but did not post it publically.

OFCC managed to get a copy. It's good to read the whole thing finally.

http://ohioccw.org/201404165111/clevela ... eased.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Citizens, unless under a disability described in Ohio Revised Code (ORC) 2923.13 or
otherwise legally prohibited from possession of a firearm, may openly carry firearms in
public places...
MyWifeSaidYes
Tweed Ring

Re: Cleveland Police Open Carry Policy Released

Post by Tweed Ring »

The Cleveland police administration has come a long, long way.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

The Cleveland police administration has come a long, long way.
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

Having their policy in writing is great.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Tweed Ring wrote:The Cleveland police administration has come a long, long way.
Kicking and screaming the entire trip.

:wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Parts of the memo look suspiciously like the Cincinnati memo... but that must be just a coincidence. :roll:
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Unfortunatly, nowhere does it say that open carry requires NO state mandated license as CC does.... Sure to cause a problem for some OC'er out there.
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Big step forward for Cleveland PD but still some errors. For example:
Private businesses and private property owners may prohibit all firearms on their property.
They may post signs prohibiting firearms or they may order a person to leave for such
behavior. Criminal Trespass (CCO 623.04) is the appropriate charge if a person is on
private property in violation of such a prohibition.
Cleveland ordinance 623.04 doesn't have a stipulation about it not being criminal trespass if the premises is primarily a parking lot or other parking facility.
stringygerm

Post by stringygerm »

From the memo quoting CCO 627.10(a) "No person shall knowingly carry, have in his or her possession or ready at hand any ...[clip]... knife having a blade two and one-half (2-1/2)
inches in length or longer ...[clip]"

Somebody should follow around the Chief of Police or maybe some politicians until they go into a restaurant then call the police when they start to cut their steak. They don't really enforce this unless adding charges to somebody they have for something else, right?
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

stringygerm wrote:From the memo quoting CCO 627.10(a) "No person shall knowingly carry, have in his or her possession or ready at hand any ...[clip]... knife having a blade two and one-half (2-1/2)
inches in length or longer ...[clip]"

Somebody should follow around the Chief of Police or maybe some politicians until they go into a restaurant then call the police when they start to cut their steak. They don't really enforce this unless adding charges to somebody they have for something else, right?
Here's an interesting read on that ordinance....

CITY OF CLEVELAND v. SMITH
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

rDigital wrote:Having their policy in writing is great.
The document is worthless with OFCC logo plastered all over it.
It is also not on their website. You would have to do an open records request for the document. Or supbona it for court.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Yeah... I didn't notice until COL made mention... Who's document is this anyway? I wouldn't imagine the City of Cleveland would promote OFCC so much in their directives...

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
MWSY
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

gaptrick wrote:Yeah... I didn't notice until COL made mention... Who's document is this anyway? I wouldn't imagine the City of Cleveland would promote OFCC so much in their directives...
OFCC made the request and obtained the record therefore we placed our watermark on it. With how hard records are to get from Cleveland PD, we feel that we should receive the credit for obtaining it. Anyone can obtain their own copy if they desire, it's just not a fast an easy process with Cleveland all the time.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

TunnelRat wrote:
color of law wrote:The document is worthless with OFCC logo plastered all over it.
I dunno, I kind of like OFCC. They provide this spiffy forum for us, among many, many other things... :|
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
gaptrick wrote:Yeah... I didn't notice until COL made mention... Who's document is this anyway? I wouldn't imagine the City of Cleveland would promote OFCC so much in their directives...
OFCC made the request and obtained the record therefore we placed our watermark on it. With how hard records are to get from Cleveland PD, we feel that we should receive the credit for obtaining it. Anyone can obtain their own copy if they desire, it's just not a fast an easy process with Cleveland all the time.
Who's handing out "credit", and why is there any importance as to who "gets" it?

It really DOES lack any credibility as a pocket stuffer with the mark ups all over it...

AWRHawkin

MWSY