OC in State Parks??

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MountainDEWDjv

OC in State Parks??

Post by MountainDEWDjv »

Hey all! Just wondering what the legalities are concerning Open Carry in a state park... such as Mohican State Forest or Malabar Farm?? Its almost good enough weather to go hiking and I don't want to go un-armed!!! (or under-armed! XD)
Clothes for warmth and sidearms for safety.

DONT GO OUT NAKED
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: OC in State Parks??

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Legal in Ohio.

Others will be along soon to expand on that and to yell at you for not searching for that info. :P

Keep in mind that there are private attractions in or near the parks that can post as CPZ's (Criminal Protection Zones), and state buildings are posted.
MyWifeSaidYes
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Malabar Farm might be tricky. It's managed by the ODNR but owned by a private foundation. I have no idea what's posted there.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Good question, and no - I won't yell at you like MWSY suggested! :lol:

Outside, state parks are legal for open or concealed carry. Since they are part of ODNR, then they have to follow the guidelines of ORC 9.68 - or MWSY will be their worst nightmare!

I am currently trying to determine if the lodges at the Shawnee State Park are considered to a private hotel or a state building:
Government facilities that are not used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and are not a courthouse or a building or structure in which a courtroom is located
If they are privately owned, then they should not be a mandatory CPZ. But, I am not finding anything yet - and will not call them.

I was thinking that location would be great for an overnight stay prior to Fun'n'Gun.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Stryker74 wrote:I am currently trying to determine if the lodges at the Shawnee State Park are considered to a private hotel or a state building:
Government facilities that are not used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and are not a courthouse or a building or structure in which a courtroom is located
If they are privately owned, then they should not be a mandatory CPZ. But, I am not finding anything yet - and will not call them.

I was thinking that location would be great for an overnight stay prior to Fun'n'Gun.
Been a while since I looked into that topic, but for several years the lodges have been operated by private concessionaires. They bid on long term contracts best my memory serves. I don't believe that makes them the owners of the buildings. Yeah, it's tricky stuff sometimes.

Back when premises-consumption Class D liquor permit establishments were verboten for carry, it was equally confusing, in a different way: How far did the license extend in the lodge? From what I saw back then, some of the lodges were posted at the outside entrances anyhow. A no-brainer. Others, however, no signage except maybe on the back wall of the bar. Those would have been the ones from the Ohio Department of Liquor Control.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

This topic about OC in state parks always makes me chuckle because the one time an LEO (county deputy, who are usually not inclined toward such harassment) ever bothered me about open carry was in a small park where he and I happened to only people present. It's a long tale I've written about before, will spare everyone reading this thread. Suffice to say it's been a motivator for me with regards to open carry, and carry in general.

********************************************************************************
MountainDEWDjv

Post by MountainDEWDjv »

Thank you all for your replies, opinions and info... and thanks a bunch MWSY, too... I should have known better and googled thoroughly before posting a question knowing you will be here to give me a hard time for it..... :wink: :lol:

DONT GO OUT NAKED
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The search feature on this board should help you find the answers. I know it has been discussed before, but I couldn't tell you when.
MyWifeSaidYes
MountainDEWDjv

Post by MountainDEWDjv »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:The search feature on this board should help you find the answers. I know it has been discussed before, but I couldn't tell you when.

And I just NOW see the search bar.... -_- Thanks, though! lol

DONT GO OUT NAKED
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Brian D. wrote:This topic about OC in state parks always makes me chuckle because the one time an LEO (county deputy, who are usually not inclined toward such harassment) ever bothered me about open carry was in a small park where he and I happened to only people present. It's a long tale I've written about before, will spare everyone reading this thread. Suffice to say it's been a motivator for me with regards to open carry, and carry in general.
You wouldn't happen to know where I could find the link to that story. Since were both in the same neck of the woods, I'd be interested in hearing it.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

glocksmith wrote:
Brian D. wrote:This topic about OC in state parks always makes me chuckle because the one time an LEO (county deputy, who are usually not inclined toward such harassment) ever bothered me about open carry was in a small park where he and I happened to only people present. It's a long tale I've written about before, will spare everyone reading this thread. Suffice to say it's been a motivator for me with regards to open carry, and carry in general.
You wouldn't happen to know where I could find the link to that story. Since were both in the same neck of the woods, I'd be interested in hearing it.
PM on the way, soon as I can write it up.

fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

Brian D. wrote:
glocksmith wrote:
PM on the way, soon as I can write it up.

I'll take a copy of that write-up too if that's ok. :D
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

fyrfytr310 wrote:I'll take a copy of that write-up too if that's ok. :D
Sent you a PM. At least I'm getting better at condensing the tale, but it does take a few paragraphs to explain what actually happened in the course of about two minutes. Maybe I should produce a video reenactment...