Hamilton Police -1

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

soldier24

Hamilton Police -1

Post by soldier24 »

Well After I was at a friends house out near Oxford I was on my way home (fairfield twp) I had to go through Hamilton. It was around midnight and of course I am carrying my gun, I stop in the Kroger on the West side to grab a mountain dew and a quick snack. I enter the building and two cops are standing at the entrance , both look right at my gun but don't say anything. I get what I need,pay and as I am walking out both cops are out side the doors. "great here we go". One cop asks If I am an undercover police officer.. I said...umm no. I try to make it to my car without any conversation but they stop me and say they could arrest me for OC. I told them they can't and there is NO SIGN saying I can't and said OC is legal in Ohio. The next cop pointed to the sign and said I could arrest you, I had to let them know that sign carried no law and I could carry with no issue. They both looked at me like I was stupid for saying that and they pretty much said you can leave just be looking out for sign's so I don't get into trouble.

here was the sign that was posted.
Army * Infantry
Iraq 2006-2007
--------------------------
XD-s .45
CZ 75 P-07 -carry gun
XD .45
Kel tec pf9
AndMetal

Re: Hamilton Police -1

Post by AndMetal »

Unless they were doing wine tastings at midnight and you didn't have a CHL, they were incorrect in their assessment.
Ruger P95 9mm
More to come, I'm sure.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

soldier24 wrote:Well After I was at a friends house out near Oxford I was on my way home (fairfield twp) I had to go through Hamilton. It was around midnight and of course I am carrying my gun, I stop in the Kroger on the West side to grab a mountain dew and a quick snack...
You need to, your choice, 1) make a phone call to the chief, and get his assurance that his officers will be reminded of the law, and/or 2) make an public records request which will rock them back on their heels and make the point firmly, and/or 3) once you get the records request info, speak to city council about the evident poor training in their police department.

I'll be glad to help you with #2 if you like, just PM me your contact info/e-mail address. I have it, but want to make sure it's current.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
soldier24

Post by soldier24 »

BB62 wrote:
soldier24 wrote:Well After I was at a friends house out near Oxford I was on my way home (fairfield twp) I had to go through Hamilton. It was around midnight and of course I am carrying my gun, I stop in the Kroger on the West side to grab a mountain dew and a quick snack...
You need to, your choice, 1) make a phone call to the chief, and get his assurance that his officers will be reminded of the law, and/or 2) make an public records request which will rock them back on their heels and make the point firmly, and/or 3) once you get the records request info, speak to city council about the evident poor training in their police department.

I'll be glad to help you with #2 if you like, just PM me your contact info/e-mail address. I have it, but want to make sure it's current.
I will PM you. I could be in that area more and more and its just as bad in fairfield twp. I really don't want or need to be stopped by this nonsense.
Army * Infantry
Iraq 2006-2007
XD-s .45
CZ 75 P-07 -carry gun
XD .45
Kel tec pf9
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

soldier24 wrote:
I will PM you. I could be in that area more and more and its just as bad in fairfield twp. I really don't want or need to be stopped by this nonsense.
My brother lives in Fairfield Township. I had a run in with a FFT officer last year inside Menards. I ended up with an apology from the Chief (I believe he has since retired). He told me he was going to "Provide training to the entire department on how to handle open carries in the future". I haven't followed up to see if he followed through on his statement to me.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Training of LEO's which is not documented properly, never really happened. Training which did happen is a public record, under Ohio's Public Records Law and is available upon request.
jbrewer8

Post by jbrewer8 »

tbrew85 wrote:
soldier24 wrote:
My brother lives in Fairfield Township. I had a run in with a FFT officer last year inside Menards. I ended up with an apology from the Chief (I believe he has since retired). He told me he was going to "Provide training to the entire department on how to handle open carries in the future". I haven't followed up to see if he followed through on his statement to me.
I'm the brother who lives in FF Twp. One of my neighbors, a fellow gun guy, is a relative of a FF Twp officer, I have spoken with that officer and he generally seems OK, but at the time I spoke with him (about a year ago, right after tbrew85's incident at menards) he too thought he could question someone simply for OC. I haven't seen him since to see if he has been corrected.

It also happens that the training officer for Hamilton is my son's baseball coach. I'll mention this to him tomorrow (if we don't get rained out) and see what he has to say.
"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government, but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Walther P99c QA
Browning Challenger
Mossberg 500 .12
Mossberg 500 .20
soldier24

Post by soldier24 »

Thanks that would be awesome if you could do that.
Army * Infantry
Iraq 2006-2007
XD-s .45
CZ 75 P-07 -carry gun
XD .45
Kel tec pf9
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Keep us posted.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Fyrfightr

Post by Fyrfightr »

I would contact
Lieutenant Trent Chenoweth at [e-mail deleted per TOS to keep the spam-bots away; PM the poster for the e-mail addy if needed--M380g] or by phone at 868-5811 ext. 1461
He runs the training division of HPD as well as their CHL classes.
Ray

Post by Ray »

I had the same thing happen in Springfield, Oh at a Kroger store with a security guard............
They all need to be re-trained...........

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
soldier24

Post by soldier24 »

Just called and talked to SGT. Robunson and told him what had happened. He will talk to the two officers on duty that night about the new laws and about open carry. He said the policy is to talk/train all officers about up to date laws. He seemed very helpful and hope this conversation will help lead to all the officers being informed.
Army * Infantry
Iraq 2006-2007
XD-s .45
CZ 75 P-07 -carry gun
XD .45
Kel tec pf9
BB62

Post by BB62 »

soldier24 wrote:Just called and talked to SGT. Robunson and told him what had happened. He will talk to the two officers on duty that night about the new laws and about open carry. He said the policy is to talk/train all officers about up to date laws. He seemed very helpful and hope this conversation will help lead to all the officers being informed.
What new laws?

I can't speak with authority about the Sgt., but his answer could easily have been a dodge to discourage you from following up further.

I don't know if the "hope" you mentioned is yours or his, but there's nothing like a records request to make sure that everyone has actually had proper training. As Tweed Ring said: "Training of LEO's which is not documented properly, never really happened. Training which did happen is a public record, under Ohio's Public Records Law and is available upon request."

Call me cynical, but I've seen this over and over again.

Got Freedom?

Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

soldier24 wrote:Just called and talked to SGT. Robunson and told him what had happened. He will talk to the two officers on duty that night about the new laws and about open carry. He said the policy is to talk/train all officers about up to date laws. He seemed very helpful and hope this conversation will help lead to all the officers being informed.
Been to arbitration/court on this issue more than once. If the training isn't documented, then it didn't happen. If it did happen, then the training document is a public record.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

BB62 wrote:...Call me cynical...
You are cynical.

I like that in a curmudgeon!

:P
MyWifeSaidYes