Open or concealed carry on a motorcycle ?

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

markallen

Open or concealed carry on a motorcycle ?

Post by markallen »

I was visiting family in Parma today, and on the way home ( I was riding myself) I came up behind another biker on Rt 94. He had a young rider on the back, and sticking out of the operators shirt behind his helmet was a wooden stick.

He stayed in the left lane as we came up to an intersection and I went in the right and came along side him. The wooden stick was a rifle/ shotgun stock stuck down the back of his shirt, and into the back of his pants. I'm thinking shotgun cause if it was a short rifle, the front sight being in a ..Hm...Hm..groove, would not feel good, but the buckhorn on the barrel would be really painful :shock: :shock:

Now I'm not throwing stones.....but open or concealed ?
If you lived in the Dark Ages, and you were a catapult operator, I bet the most common question people would ask is, " Can you make it shoot farther?" "No I'm sorry. That's as far as it shoots." http://www.sendoutcards.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Open or concealed carry on a motorcycle ?

Post by Javelin Man »

No matter in/on a motor vehicle it's considered concealed carry and requires a license. It can be carried open for all to see or concealed in the deepest part of your vehicle or clothing.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

If it was indeed a rifle then it would need to be unloaded and I believe it would need to be in a case or trunk or something (scabbard?). But he could have loaded mags nearby.

Pistol would be ok open or concealed but a motor vehicle operator/passenger would need a CHL
C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!
hank.forker

Post by hank.forker »

markallen wrote:I was visiting family in Parma today, and on the way home ( I was riding myself) I came up behind another biker on Rt 94. He had a young rider on the back, and sticking out of the operators shirt behind his helmet was a wooden stick.

He stayed in the left lane as we came up to an intersection and I went in the right and came along side him. The wooden stick was a rifle/ shotgun stock stuck down the back of his shirt, and into the back of his pants. I'm thinking shotgun cause if it was a short rifle, the front sight being in a ..Hm...Hm..groove, would not feel good, but the buckhorn on the barrel would be really painful :shock: :shock:

Now I'm not throwing stones.....but open or concealed ?
Not applicable. Either improperly handling or not. So...
If it was loaded, improper handling.
If unloaded, then whether or not it would be determined to be in plain sight. (Assuming it matches the length requirements for a firearm eligible to be transported in such a manner.)
I wouldn't want to test it out.

2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.
(A) No person shall knowingly discharge a firearm while in or on a motor vehicle.

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.
hank.forker

Post by hank.forker »

Javelin Man wrote:No matter in/on a motor vehicle it's considered concealed carry and requires a license. It can be carried open for all to see or concealed in the deepest part of your vehicle or clothing.
Not true and a common misconception. It is true that with a CHL you may carry a handgun in any manner you choose, vehicle or not, but the charge without license would be improper handling of a firearm in a vehicle. Also in this case it is a long gun, which must be transported in certain ways.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Yup, I missed that part of the advice. My advice was only for a handgun and I glossed over that stick thingee.... :oops:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
hank.forker

Post by hank.forker »

Javelin Man wrote:Yup, I missed that part of the advice. My advice was only for a handgun and I glossed over that stick thingee.... :oops:
Yep I figured that was the case, I just wanted to make sure that anyone new to the boards didnt come away with any misconceptions. Being married I dont often get to come off as knowing what I am talking about, so I grab the chance when it arrives... :wink:
fisher

Post by fisher »

it is lawful in Ohio to carry an unloaded shotgun on one's person on/in a motor vehicle so long as it is in plain sight, and the action is open.
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

fisher wrote:it is lawful in Ohio to carry an unloaded shotgun on one's person on/in a motor vehicle so long as it is in plain sight, and the action is open.
No, it's not.
2923.12 Carrying concealed weapons.

(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person's person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:
(1) A deadly weapon other than a handgun;
(C)(1) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(c) A person's transportation or storage of a firearm, other than a firearm described in divisions (G) to (M) of section 2923.11 of the Revised Code, in a motor vehicle for any lawful purpose if the firearm is not on the actor's person;
There is no exception for an unloaded long gun, even with a CHL.

Remember, open carry IN OR ON A VEHICLE is NOT open carrying, it's TRANSPORTING.
MyWifeSaidYes
fisher

Post by fisher »

2923.16 covers transporting a nonconcealed longun.

2923.12 covers transporting a concealed longun.
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Dang. You got me.

If I had actually read what I typed, I would have known what I said. :oops: :P
MyWifeSaidYes
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

So, anyone out there carrying on their motorcycle? I am thinking concealed on one's person so that the muzzle is pointed downward would be the best way. A shoulder or thigh rig that has a horizontal carry would bug me that I was pointing my loaded weapon at someone behind me, such as a fellow rider in a group. Or even a cage (car).

Riding with the pistol open carry so that other people on a highway could see it might invite erratic driving from others on the road further endangering me on my motorcycle. Columbus is already "exciting" enough for a motorcyclist. When I ride to work daily I nearly get killed at least once nearly every day, hmm, might be tempted to shoot at them. LOL. Nah, I would not do that although it could be self-defense. Hmmmm. Not gonna try it! Not sure a jury would be sympathetic either.

David
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

Since getting my CHL this fall.I've carried IWB a couple times on my VRSCR V-Rod. I've a better holster now (still an IWB) and intend to use it when Spring returns to the Buckeye State.

If I were to open carry on the bike I'd want some type of Level II retention holster as a minimum.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

Flhrci wrote:So, anyone out there carrying on their motorcycle? I am thinking concealed on one's person so that the muzzle is pointed downward would be the best way. A shoulder or thigh rig that has a horizontal carry would bug me that I was pointing my loaded weapon at someone behind me, such as a fellow rider in a group. Or even a cage (car).

Riding with the pistol open carry so that other people on a highway could see it might invite erratic driving from others on the road further endangering me on my motorcycle.

Ive open carried many times on my bike and I doubt anyone has ever noticed it. Ive never noted any erratic driving resulting from my open carry.

When I ride to work daily I nearly get killed at least once nearly every day, :roll:

At the risk of sounding like a richard; If thats the case, you should hang up riding because you are obviously putting yourself in very dangerous situations. Ive been riding for many years and Ive had a few close calls, but because I do my best to drive defensively, and keep myself out of dangerous situations, those close calls are a rarity.

David
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

tbrew85 wrote:...
At the risk of sounding like a richard; If thats the case, you should hang up riding because you are obviously putting yourself in very dangerous situations. Ive been riding for many years and Ive had a few close calls, but because I do my best to drive defensively, and keep myself out of dangerous situations, those close calls are a rarity.
Come up and ride in Columbus for a few weeks, THEN pass judgment.

Cagers up here cause many cases of lethal left-turn-itis.
MyWifeSaidYes