Crossing into the open carry world.

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

fyrfytr310

Crossing into the open carry world.

Post by fyrfytr310 »

As time has gone on, I have progressed from strictly concealed carry to open carry at pay-at-the pump, to open carry at pick-up pizza joints, to now open carry at the grocery store. I haven't had more than a small handful of comments, all by gun owners.

Is this progression typical? I just feel sometimes like, "What have I got to hide?" I also feel like, "OK, when am I going to get my MWAG LE encounter?"
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Crossing into the open carry world.

Post by Sevens »

This is not at all typical... for me anyway.
Still no desire whatsoever to open carry. Seems like a distinct tactical disadvantage, also seems like a blatant way to interject things in to the middle of your day that are otherwise unnecessary.

Even still, I'm thrilled that I have the ability if I so choose, and I'm also happy that others choose to do it, and I'm happy to support their right to choose.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
huskybiker

Post by huskybiker »

On weekends, I normally oper carry around the neighborhood (yard work, gas station, auto parts store, etc.) In almost 5 years, no one (other than my neighbor, who always wants to know about whatever gun I'm carrying) has said antything.
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

I think for those that do choose to open carry, this is probably a typical progression. Some people, for very legitimate reasons choose to never OC. Some of us, for equally legitimate reasons, choose to OC daily. I think it's rare for a person to, for example, at age 21 strap on a OC pistol and be comfortable from day 1. Not sure I would trust that person if he did. Lol
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

It is typical of what I went through. I started open carrying by walking my dogs around the block in the dark, last December. Now I open carry almost all the time I am awake. Banks, Lowes, fast food & slow food, Target, Meijers, Walmart, etc. I have had zero negative encounters. In fact, I have had people I don't know, honk and give me a thumbs up. I have had the opportunity to talk to a lot of people about carrying in general.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I, too, eschew open carry for a variety of reasons. On one job in my career, I was required to open carry, upon occasion, in some very sketchy areas. I believe, as previously noted, that open carry does give away the tactical advantage of surprise.

But, in Ohio, we have a choice, and I am pleased that choice exists. In some states, open carry is prohibited by law, and I feel that is clearly wrong.
Cloudwraith
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cloudwraith »

I mostly conceal while carrying. I have, however, mowed the lawn, walked the ferrets, rode my bicycle, etc... while open carrying. I have done the gas pump and the pizza pickup but have not moved to open carrying in stores as of yet. I think it is natural that as you become more accustomed to carrying a firearm your apprehension about concealing it and whether someone notices you lessens to an extent.

I agree with the tactical advantage of carrying concealed and, as I said, I carry concealed about 95% percent of the time but I love having the choice to switch as necessary. Mainly, I don't like dealing with people I don't know and while I could have a conversation with someone about why I am carrying I prefer it not be a conversation starter to begin with.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
JmE

Post by JmE »

fyrfytr310 wrote:Is this progression typical? I just feel sometimes like, "What have I got to hide?" I also feel like, "OK, when am I going to get my MWAG LE encounter?"
IMHO, it's typical. Years ago I used to see people carry in the open. At some point many of them began carrying concealed. (Lots of people around me carried concealed after some point in time.) When Ohio began issuing it's licenses, many people who never carried before began CCing under the license system. When some in that latter group realized that OC is legal and decide to do it, almost all of them that I've spoken to reported going through the progression, concerns, and thoughts that you have described. It appears to be a normal and expected progression. Thank you for carrying openly.

Sevens & Tweed Ring, thank you for supporting OC and I like the way y'all think on the subject.
Then, Sir, we will give them the bayonet! - Gen.Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it. - Gen. Robert E. Lee
If we must die, we die defending our rights. - Chief Sitting Bull

Moreover, were he to return there, wouldn't he be rather bad at their game, no longer being accustomed to the darkness? - Plato
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

When I train the Ohio CHL class, I discuss open carry. I tell people it is legal. I tell them I don't like it and I avoid it. Then I tell them to make their own decision on the issue.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Cloudwraith wrote:I have, however, mowed the lawn, walked the ferrets, rode my bicycle, etc... while open carrying.
I can just see the MWAG call right now! It would sound like this:

"Help! I just saw a guy with a GUN!"
"can you describe the person, ma'am?"
"YES! Average height, weight, gray shirt, jeans, and he was walking his ferrets and he had a big black gun on his belt!"
"excuse me, he was walking WHAT? Say again?"
"ferrets, he was walking ferrets!"
"are you sure it was ferrets?"
"YES, it was ferrets, but this gun, it was *gasp* handgun, it was huge, menacing, frightening, offensive..."
"ma'am, any chance these were, perhaps, rabbits?"
"ummm, no... anyway, on his belt..."
"could they have been guinea pigs?"
"ummmm, I don't..."
"chinchillas? Might they have been chinchillas, ma'am? Did you get a good look at them?"
"that doesn't matter, did you hear me about the..."
ma'am, is it possible they were weasels?"
"BUT--"
"Stoat?"
"Mink?"
"Otter? Wolverine? Badger?"
"Ma'am, are you sure it's not simply a pair of chihuahuas that he was walking? I mean, did you really get a long look at them?
"well... I mean..."
"Ma'am, open carrying of handguns is legal in the State of Ohio. We would like to thank you for your call, however, the gentlemen in question isn't breaking any laws."
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

That is a funny bit. Thank you.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

:lol: :lol: Thanks Sevens!
Cloudwraith
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cloudwraith »

Come to think of it, the ferrets might be more of a conversation starter than the handgun....hmmm....I wonder if I can conceal carry ferrets legally in the state of Ohio.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I don't know about that, but let's just agree now that the ferrets themselves cannot legally conceal handguns on their person... (or, rather, their, uhhhh, self...?) as Ohio doesn't currently issue CHL's to ferrets.

Florida may, however.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Cloudwraith wrote:Come to think of it, the ferrets might be more of a conversation starter than the handgun....hmmm....I wonder if I can conceal carry ferrets legally in the state of Ohio.
Better walking those ferrets than ferret legging with them...