Selling guns/register

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Selling guns/register

Post by Chuck »

I often wonder if my single action .22 will ever turn up
It was stolen in 1986 in Whitehall Ohio,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

Chuck wrote:I often wonder if my single action .22 will ever turn up
It was stolen in 1986 in Whitehall Ohio,,,,
Take up scuba diving. Never know. :wink:
- OK. Jokes over. Bring back the Constitution.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Brian D. wrote:Guess I can pass this along now...About twenty five years ago I bought my first Browning Hi Power.

Anyway this all came to light last year when a police detective called me, the original purchaser of the gun, to determine when/how I'd sold the Hi Power.
Yup, I only own one firearm -- my 9mm Browning Hi-Power -- that was purchased through an FFL. I have often wondered if that sale would one day come back to haunt me.

What is it about keeping records on legally purchased and owned items that tends to bother me...?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

TunnelRat wrote:What is it about keeping records on legally purchased and owned items that tends to bother me...?
I dunno - but I have the same nagging feeling.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

I, too, only own one firearms that I purchased from an FFL.

To the original topic of this thread, it is amazing how prevalent the misunderstanding is that there is some sort of registration in Ohio. In every CHL class I teach, this issue comes up: "Where do I go to make sure that a gun is no longer registered to me after I sell it?"

The OTHER issue this thread sort of inadvertently brings up is the whole concept of the link between "universal background checks" and "gun registration." While it wouldn't happen overnight, eventually most firearms would have been involved in some sort of background check with its associated paper trail. In other words, if "universal background checks" pass, the guns I already own (if I had any) that I did not purchase from an FFL would not have any paper trail. However, if my daughters sell them after they inherit them, then a paper trail would be created.

So, even if there is no "official" registration, "universal background checks" would ultimately lead to a "universal paper trail."
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

charben wrote:if "universal background checks" pass, the guns I already own (if I had any) that I did not purchase from an FFL would not have any paper trail. However, if my daughters sell them after they inherit them, then a paper trail would be created.

So, even if there is no "official" registration, "universal background checks" would ultimately lead to a "universal paper trail."
It is ALREADY known and ACKNOWLEDGED, even by it's proponents, that without registration, a "universal background check" is utterly meaningless and unenforceable. When, inevitably, it fails to achieve its alleged purpose, there will be a demand for registration in order make it more "effective".

The so-called "universal background check" is, was and alway will be nothing more than a stalking horse for registration, which itself has no real purpose besides facilitation of future bans and confiscation.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

charben wrote: To the original topic of this thread, it is amazing how prevalent the misunderstanding is that there is some sort of registration in Ohio. In every CHL class I teach, this issue comes up: "Where do I go to make sure that a gun is no longer registered to me after I sell it?"
Keep in mind that some Ohio cities used to have such ordinances on their books. Heck, some never bothered to erase/rescind them after statewide preemption passed.

Yeah Chris I know that you already knew this... :lol: ..just saying, that's probably a big reason for the longstanding confusion among others.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Brian D. wrote:
charben wrote: To the original topic of this thread, it is amazing how prevalent the misunderstanding is that there is some sort of registration in Ohio. In every CHL class I teach, this issue comes up: "Where do I go to make sure that a gun is no longer registered to me after I sell it?"
Keep in mind that some Ohio cities used to have such ordinances on their books. Heck, some never bothered to erase/rescind them after statewide preemption passed.

Yeah Chris I know that you already knew this... :lol: ..just saying, that's probably a big reason for the longstanding confusion among others.
Ah...you're right. Sleep deprivation. Just imagine the stuff I am saying to the young skulls full of mush today!
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

The confusion about folks only casually interested or new to gun with regards to registration comes FULL BORE from television and movies. It's obviously the easiest and most likely answer.

How many different times have you seen an epidsode of CSI: Oxnard where they snag a gun from a glove box or a closet of a crime scene or residence and as depicted on the show, three keyboard taps and two mouse clicks brings up an entire 10-page web file with a picture, address, list of relatives, occupation, tattoos, car, and of course... firearms, calibers, type, etc etc etc.

It's as common as TV commercials.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Bedford and Twinsburg were 2 I can remember, and not long ago.......Twinsburg may still do it....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Face

Post by Face »

Sevens wrote:The confusion about folks only casually interested or new to gun with regards to registration comes FULL BORE from television and movies. It's obviously the easiest and most likely answer.

How many different times have you seen an epidsode of CSI: Oxnard where they snag a gun from a glove box or a closet of a crime scene or residence and as depicted on the show, three keyboard taps and two mouse clicks brings up an entire 10-page s.
Yep

Don't forget my favorite one "enhance that photo" and it clears up a grainy, out of focus, low resolution, surveillance camera pic taken at 1:00 am in a pouring rain, and gives a high resolution , color photo, that shows the ear ring in the left ear.

The pathologist that looks at corpse with a hole in it and announces "it's a 9mm Glock hollow point" It could be a STICK.

The cop with a smashed bullet in his hands that does something similar.

Federal Cops investigating a plane Jane murder (not on any type of Fed. property)

Yeah - I watch too much TV and yell at it all the time.

I quit watching many as they are so easily discredited. It's one thing to do science fiction but when you do a kinda' based on fact show. nope.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Face wrote:Don't forget my favorite . . .
Probably my fave was an early (Season 1 or 2) episode of CSI: David Caruso's Sunglasses in which the forensic firearms babe ID'd a Ruger SP101 (IIRC) by the sound of it being cocked. :shock:
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Bobgun

Post by Bobgun »

NavyChief wrote:
Face wrote:Don't forget my favorite . . .
Probably my fave was an early (Season 1 or 2) episode of CSI: David Caruso's Sunglasses in which the forensic firearms babe ID'd a Ruger SP101 (IIRC) by the sound of it being cocked. :shock:
I also love when they pick up a bullet and say it came from a .357.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Face wrote:
Sevens wrote:The confusion about folks only casually interested or new to gun with regards to registration comes FULL BORE from television and movies. It's obviously the easiest and most likely answer.

How many different times have you seen an epidsode of CSI: Oxnard where they snag a gun from a glove box or a closet of a crime scene or residence and as depicted on the show, three keyboard taps and two mouse clicks brings up an entire 10-page s.
Yep

Don't forget my favorite one "enhance that photo" and it clears up a grainy, out of focus, low resolution, surveillance camera pic taken at 1:00 am in a pouring rain, and gives a high resolution , color photo, that shows the ear ring in the left ear.

The pathologist that looks at corpse with a hole in it and announces "it's a 9mm Glock hollow point" It could be a STICK.

The cop with a smashed bullet in his hands that does something similar.

Federal Cops investigating a plane Jane murder (not on any type of Fed. property)

Yeah - I watch too much TV and yell at it all the time.

I quit watching many as they are so easily discredited. It's one thing to do science fiction but when you do a kinda' based on fact show. nope.

There's this show Mrs. Price likes called Bones (probably because of the star David Boreanaz who she has had a crush on since Buffy the Vampire Slayer) which I find myself often loudly calling "Shenanigans!" whenever they have some sort of typical bull-poo scientific-ey crud...the most recent episode I sat through with her (I will sit on th ecouch and sort brass while she watches, and sort of let my attention drift in and out) was regarding a bunch of 'survivalists' and a Dragon's Breath shotgun round..which when they shot one in "the lab" it looked like a shotgun crossed with a weed burner and a jet engine.

I absolutely can't stand the show. It's almost got me thinking it's supposed to be a comic sendup of CSI, it's so bad and over the top.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

evan price wrote:There's this show Mrs. Price likes called Bones (probably because of the star David Boreanaz who she has had a crush on since Buffy the Vampire Slayer) which I find myself often loudly calling "Shenanigans!" whenever they have some sort of typical bull-poo scientific-ey crud...the most recent episode I sat through with her (I will sit on th ecouch and sort brass while she watches, and sort of let my attention drift in and out) was regarding a bunch of 'survivalists' and a Dragon's Breath shotgun round..which when they shot one in "the lab" it looked like a shotgun crossed with a weed burner and a jet engine.

I absolutely can't stand the show. It's almost got me thinking it's supposed to be a comic sendup of CSI, it's so bad and over the top.
Well, they are pretty intense, particularly at night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP4FjODPDFA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And they will set stuff on fire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP4FjODPDFA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Starting about 4:30 on video)
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.